Havasu Insulation - CeraTex? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
Dax

Name: Dax
Trailer: Havasu
California
Havasu Insulation - CeraTex?

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on using CeraTex 3170 (from Amazon) or other Ceramic Fiber Paper for insulation? I'd like to rip out the carpet in my Havasu and add a bit of insulation and replace with wall material that won't trap as much dust.

I already decided not to use Reflectix nor spray foam and am thinking of either CeraTex or 1/2" Foamular + Thinsulate for the curved areas. I'd add some thin wood framing for stability and either cover the walls with foam backed PE panels and the ceiling (curved areas) with foam backed marine vinyl headliner OR the whole thing with the headliner.

Open to other recommendations. Thanks! Pic is from our first trip out just a couple of weeks ago - can't wait to paint her!
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201226_145609251.jpg  
Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Before I spent the $ & energy to install Certex, I'd want to know the "R" value of the material. It appears it is designed for high temperature insulation (kilns, etc) and may have a low enough "R" value to not be worth using.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I'm not familiar with this specific product however ceramic fiber insulation works well in high temperature applications, where exposure to chemicals may occur etc. If these fibers are released during installation or in use there may be some concerns. These small fibers may cause physical irritation to the skin and eyes. Airborne fibers or those settled on surfaces that may be introduced into the air may represent an inhalation hazard, potentially causing fibrotic lung disease and other complications. I suggest looking into this before using the product as this will be your sleeping quarters..
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
Dax

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
I'm not familiar with this specific product however ceramic fiber insulation works well in high temperature applications, where exposure to chemicals may occur etc. If these fibers are released during installation or in use there may be some concerns. These small fibers may cause physical irritation to the skin and eyes. Airborne fibers or those settled on surfaces that may be introduced into the air may represent an inhalation hazard, potentially causing fibrotic lung disease and other complications. I suggest looking into this before using the product as this will be your sleeping quarters..
Really good insight, thank you!
Old 01-09-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

Name: jerry
Trailer: havasu
California
I used a product called lizard skin for the upper curved portion on my Havasu, wood panels on the walls. so far no problems, its been three years
jerry theros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:12 AM   #6

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
I would suggest you spend a couple of weeks researching insulation and R value interpretation. Understanding what the goal of insulation is attempting to accomplish is also important. For a camper or home, it is to slow the transfer of temperature for one side to the other. Specialty insulations like Ceramic fiber are more about handling high temps with out being destroyed than having increase insulating value. What makes for a good insulation is the ability to create multiple air gaps in the given space to limited air movement. Closed cell foam is great but varies base on the size of air bubbles it creates as it cures. Many manufactures used Ensolite before Reflectix was available. At the 1/4" thickness the difference is almost negligible but if you go to 1", the Ensolite is far superior, cost and weight not being a factor. In the end, thickness matters and just about all insulations have minimal impact in gaps less than an a couple of inches.

Real world example I also have an 1977 Airstream that I have been completely redoing and I have three different types of insulation in it. The wall gap through out is 1 1/2" and I have fiberglass, rockwool, and synthetic batting with aluminum backing (HVAC ducting insulation). On a sunny 95 degree day, the surface interior panel temperatures were within 1 degree degree of each other at 87 degrees.

Good luck with what every you choose
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Dax

California
Thanks everyone. I've actually been researching for a while (there's a lot to learn, it's quite overwhelming) I saw a youtuber use the ceratex but wasn't able to find any more information on being used for camper insulation.

After reading these replies and reading even more and more information I'm fairly certain that I'm CeraTex is a bad idea and am going to retain the 1/2" XPS Foamular idea for the lower, straight walls and pick up with good ol' Ensolite for the curvier bits - and cover all of it with the padded vinyl marine headliner. Thinking of using Good stuff to make sure all my seams are protected too.

Tags
havasu