Have a receiver on your trailer? Any regrets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Have a receiver on your trailer? Any regrets?

I want to add a light weight bike rack and one lightish mountain bike to the rear of my 13" Scamp. I've got a 1 1/4", 24" long receiver tube and a welder I think can do a good job.

We're planning on welding a square tube cross wise well forward of the bumper. Perhaps some simple expanded metal trays up under there to store hoses and such. I do hope to leave room for a grey water tank in stock location. nearer the axle.

Did you put on a receiver and regret it, or would have done it, but differently? If so, please clue me in so I don't have the same regret.

Thanks in advance!

BTW, I got a great, light rack by Saris. I can use it on the TV when not towing, and it comes with a carrying bag and stand so you can take it in the home and use it to keep bikes off the floor/walls. WAY lighter than the other hitch racks I found at REI or local bike shops. Integrated locks for the bike to the rack, rack to the receiver attachment and receiver attachment to the receiver. Kind of expensive list price, but can be had cheaper. I got it on sale for a fantastic price at Performance Bike online.

Saris T-Bones 2-Bike Hitch Rack - Great Deals on Car Racks
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I added a 2" receiver to our Casita. No regrets. The bikes ride back there just fine.

My welder added a cross bar about where you are proposing. He then added about 6-8" angle iron to the front and back bottom side of the bumper to strengtgen it. That created a 3 point connection which seems to be more than adequate. Total cost for mine was about $125 including materials.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Dylan;

I've done it with large stickies that I've had in the past. I have not done it with my Fiber Stream since I beleive the frame is too light to hold it. I would also be concerned about moving that much weight out behind the axle. I would suggest that you weigh the trailer properly to determine the true trailer weight and the tongue weight on your hitch. If your current tongue weight is at or below 10% of the total weight, I would be very cautious. You may need to move other weight forward of the axles to compensate, or consider a true weight distributing hitch set-up.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have a receiver on the Trillium 4500 that we are using this summer. I don't use it for a bike rack. I use it for a cargo platform. It is necessary to balance out the extra load on the bumper, with more on the tongue.
Attached Thumbnails
Thumb 1.jpg  
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #5

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ordered my scamp with a factory mount . ot works well. only thing i will say is with a typical rack and two aluminium framed bikes, it made the trailer a touch light up front. i strapped a five gallon jug of water to the tongue and it felt a lot better. amaising how little it takes to change your tongue weight
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
ordered my scamp with a factory mount . ot works well. only thing i will say is with a typical rack and two aluminium framed bikes, it made the trailer a touch light up front. i strapped a five gallon jug of water to the tongue and it felt a lot better. amaising how little it takes to change your tongue weight
5 gallons is 41 lbs. It makes a difference.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
"Have a receiver on your trailer? Any regrets?"

Nope & None...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0045.JPG   scamp pictures 013.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #8

British Columbia
Tongue weight has been a concern, but the one time I had shift a lot of weight off the tongue and to the rear was the only time i felt at all unstable.

So I will test this out and consider more front/tongue weight if need be.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #9

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
My UHaul VT came with a rear receiver and 4 prong plug. I have been told by a former U haul asst. manager that they towed CT with them to move stock around. I suspect it would have been an interesting tow as it would be very hard to back if you found yourself in a bad spot. I have seen motor homes pulling a car followed by a motorcycle trailer so it can be done, the guy told me he only used truck stops to fuel up and was in a pull through at the campground.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
My UHaul VT came with a rear receiver and 4 prong plug. I have been told by a former U haul asst. manager that they towed CT with them to move stock around. I suspect it would have been an interesting tow as it would be very hard to back if you found yourself in a bad spot. I have seen motor homes pulling a car followed by a motorcycle trailer so it can be done, the guy told me he only used truck stops to fuel up and was in a pull through at the campground.
Michael J.
No way in the world I'd ever tow anything behind my Scamp! The bike is questionable. I'm prepared to give up on it if it doesn't feel right. Hopefully the weight of the receiver install will be irrelevant if I find the rack/bike too much weight that far back.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1971 Boler 13 ft
I have no regrets adding a receiver and hauling a bike rack. With the other modifications I made to the frame and interior I ended up more tongue heavy than I would like so the bikes actually balance things out a bit.

I just wanted to be absolutely sure that it would be solid back there so I went with the belt and suspenders approach welding the receiver to the frame and crossmember then welding and bolting a strap of angle stock underneath it.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails
P1000164.jpg  
RussL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #12

British Columbia
Thanks for the pic, interesting frame you got there.

I decided to move my "house" battery to under the sink, on top of the axle from under the left dinette seat. Seemed too much weight behind the axle. We'll see how it all balances when I'm done. Between the hot water heater and AC, I'm adding about the same weight as the battery to the other side, so I think it's good placement. 10% or so weight gain from those 3 items. But over the axle or just behind it.

I think my new front woodwork is a bit heavier than what it's replacing. I had hoped to reduce weight, but I just kept reinforcing things! I think you could destroy the trailer and the woodwork would stay intact! So while disappointed I'm not loosing weight with the new woodwork, there may be advantages of a bit more weight up there! All told, I'm probably adding 200lbs with my remodel.