Have you installed roller shades? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #1

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Have you installed roller shades?

Hi, have you installed roller shades such as those made by IKEA called TUPPLUR* in a FGRV, particularly a SCAMP? I realize the Scamp side windows do not lend themselves to installing traditional roller shades as they do not have a traditional home window frame. I'm thinking of installing one on the long back window hung from the cabinet above (see photo). I'm always leery of drilling into the fiberglass. If you can tell me how to do it securely, I might try it. There is so little space between my cabinet and the curtain rod, I find it difficult to "hand roll" my improvised black out shades.
*Directions for TUPPLUR installation, 3 ways: outside window frame, inside window frame and from ceiling (this is what I am thinking of doing). https://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_...4150-4_pub.pdf

Photo of my original black out shade attached with Velcro on top and bottom. Currently I have a "hand rolled" black out shade (no photo) which rolls from the bottom and hooks onto curtain rod (not ideal). Curtains hang from the curtain rod.

As I look at this photo, I'm thinking the light in the middle may get in the way of the shade AND the shade holder may be too far away from window.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:50 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Hi Gilda. We have blackout roller shades that I installed in our Lil Snoozy. I have glued magnets along the sides and toward the bottom of the aluminum window frame, so that I can simply use loose magnets to sandwich hold the shade tight to the sloping wall. I secured the roller shade brackets to the underside of the shelves or cabinets. You could slowly drill through your overhead cabinet and use small machine screws, large “fender washers” and nuts to secure your brackets. I did this in our 13’ Scamp also, but glued the magnets along the rubber window seal on our non-opening rear window. Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Hi Gilda,
I am in the process of installing those very blinds, with one left to go. They are easy to install and can be cut down to size along one side. It should not be a problem to attach them to an overhead cabinet.
The spring mechanism works very well and should save you some bruised knuckles from hand rolling. I think they will work well to keep light out.
My trailer is a Ventura so the setup is not like yours but, like Dave, I am also using magnets to bring them in tight to the windows.
The only issue I have with the blinds is the length. I am tempted to cut them off but am not sure if they will function as well without the length and weight.
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

California
Registry
Dave, Paula and Patricia,
Did you use the IKEA shade? Do you have photos to post?
P.S. You are right about the bruised knuckles!
Old 05-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #5

Ontario
Yes, Gilda, I have those exact blinds. In fact, I am going to Ikea today to get one more for my front window. That involves a trip into the city and a lot of other errands so I will not have time to take pics today but will post some tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:27 PM   #6

Ontario
Gilda, here are some pictures of the ones that I attached to the underside of shelves on each side of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1985.jpg   IMG_1984.jpg  

IMG_1986.jpg   IMG_1987.jpg  

Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 PM   #7

California
Registry
Many thanks for the photos! The installation looks very tidy and the shades are unobtrusive, for the most part. I'm going to have to evaluate installing them in the Scamp, which has curved sides and fiberglass cabinets as opposed to wood. (Are your shelves made of wood?)
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 010.jpg  
Old 05-06-2018, 10:20 PM   #8

Ontario
Yes, they are 1/2 in birch plywood. Could you reinforce the fiberglass with 2 to 3 inch pieces of wood inside the cupboard?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 PM   #9

California
Registry
We'll see. We're going on a camping trip soon and I'll look at the trailer set up and take photos.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #10

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
As for drilling, only 2 rules.
1. Use a sharp bit (start with a small hole and go bigger as you need. I find that 3/16 drill bit for large rivets is perfect. Start with 3/32 diameter first.
2. Take it easy. Not too much speed, maybe 200 - 400 rpm, on the bit and not too much pressure.

I've drilled plenty of holes this way with no problems. But take it easy and use 2 hands.
nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote