Heater - solid fuel w/chimney pipe - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 12:58 AM   #21

Name: Cristin
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Hi Tom. The Grizzly is a bit larger than I really need for a 13' Scamp; Cub wins.

Yes, the site is a true blessing indeed to learn and bounce ideas around.
awinterchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:22 AM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
A chimney fire in a piece of 24 ga. steel stove pipe protecting a very flammable fiberglass trailer with me in it. No thanks.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
dont want to stomp

I have to wonder too I have had a chimley fire in my house a very scary thing. these pipes get very hot the fire was so hot it cracked my chimley by the way. I hate to think in a fiberglass trailer about that but whatever the op feels comfortable with.

I cringe when I see people barbecuing on a fiberglass boat or have a barbecue attached to their fiberglass trailer.

I would do some very serious thinking about his plan but that's me not him.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by awinterchild View Post
Propane/fuel/batteries are just too much to cart around or find at times...
What will you be burning in the stove, and where will you get it?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:47 AM   #25

Missouri
jon I can see picking up a supply at the grocery store and a small saw of some sort to cut it down to size.

the thought has occurred to me also but anything is possible. on our az trip I did see an old schoolie with a wood stove in it! I also saw houses along the highway with privies outside!

bob
Old 02-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #26

Arizona
Registry
That stuff at the grocery store is typically junk- small diameter, lots of bark, indeterminate species- and expensive. Good enough for a campfire, but not for heating fuel, IMO.

I am still curious what the OP was thinking, though. I see fuel as the biggest obstacle for a solid fuel heater.

According to this site, the typical 5 gallon/20 pound LP tank contains 456,000 BTU's of energy. Twenty pounds of air dried wood has 160,000 BTU's (guessing that number varies quite a bit by species). Twenty pounds of coal contains 280,000 BTU's, and twenty pounds of wood pellets contains 165,000 BTU's.

LPG is energy dense, widely available, and clean burning.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #27

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
The advantage of the Cubic Mini Cub is that it does a double burn so it uses very little fuel and that small amount last a long time. You can use pressed logs available just about anywhere. The Stainless Steel flue is double lined so it does not deplete the trailer of oxygen. I am going to install the cub in my sailing boat next winter but in my Boler 13 I am trying to repair the original Wagon Master propane heater.

As said in previous posts each person has their preferred way of staying warm - the Cub is just another alternative.

Stay warm out there.

Elvin
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Smoke rising from the trailer would put a kink in any plan to stealth camp. And, municipalities are banning wood stoves from new home builds.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:15 AM   #29

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
I know some folks just love the ambiance of a wood fire, myself included. I think the chances of a chimney fire are slim given that the system only has a straight 4 ft run of pipe if it is run through the ceiling. That oughta make it easy to maintain in fire friendly cleanliness. However I must ask what do you cook on? Aren't you carrying a propane cylinder to run the propane cooktop? If so, you already have a fuel source, why add a second? Lastly, I look around the inside of my 16 ft Casita looking for any part of the limited space to find what I am willing to sacrifice to a wood burner? I find none. I would rather keep my love for wood fire flame outdoors in the campsite fire pit. But then again, we all have different needs. As long as you don't start the woodland fire that burns up my camper when it is parked next to yours, do whatever floats your boat.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
I know some folks just love the ambiance of a wood fire, myself included...
Agree 100%. We burn wood for 95% of our home space heating. I am fortunate to live where fuel wood is available, inexpensive (local wood cutters harvest, deliver, split, and stack for about $300 a season, whereas running the propane furnace costs $150 a month), and unrestricted by local ordinance. It won't last forever, I'm afraid, but for now, we love it!

Like you, when camping we get our ambiance from a campfire and heat the trailer with propane.

I am always curious to hear how things work out for those who take a different path.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I don't see the chimney fire as a threat. It's unlikely and can be starved of combustion air if needed. But the flue and the back of the stove are hot and must be isolated from the walls and ceiling. Since the chimney is stainless and double wall with the combustion air coming in from the outside, it's pretty safe.

The ceiling hole will be about 12" in diameter with a stainless roof jack to keep the hot pipe away from the fiberglass. The wall behind the stove will have an air space to the stove and a heat shield mounted on standoffs to protect the wall. A good heat shield is corrugated galvanized roofing, (the best I've found and I've tested many materials). It's also cheap and easily cut to fit. Another is tile over a backer board, but that gets very hot. Then the front of the stove must be a safe distance to any settee cushions, pillows, clothes, wood or fiberglass.

I installed one in my fiberglass boat. It was a success as far as heating was concerned, but it was a pain to deal with. Wood is very dirty and bulky. It must be in very small pieces to work in that small stove and it must be stored somewhere. It also needs a lot of stoking, so a good supply will have to be in the trailer with you at night so you don't have to go outside to get more. Another point is, the smaller the stove firebox, the harder it is to get a good clean fire going and maintain a good draft. Wood stoves work best when they are big. This is because, as with any contained volume, the smaller the volume, the larger the surface area of the walls that contain the volume. Wood fires need a good reflective surface around them or to be out in the open, to work best. The smaller the firebox, the harder it is for the fire to get up to a good operating temperature and stay there. The smaller the fire the larger the heat sink walls. That means more smoke and more attending it.

Presto logs are the easiest to deal with but probably the most expensive per BTU. They can be easily broken into small pieces to burn. But they are not good at all for outdoor campfires, so there you go with another fuel. Campfire wood, Presto Logs for heating and propane for cooking. Since it's impractical to bring an ax into your trailer and split them, you'll have to prepare all you need for the night

In a very small trailer, you will be giving up a large percentage of the overall space just for the heating stove that is only used when it's cold outside.

I understand that wood fires are being banned in a lot of camping areas. How does that pertain to a heating wood stove inside a trailer? It may not apply, but I don't know.

Eventually, I took the wood stove out of my boat and installed a diesel heater instead. Wood heat was a nice experiment and fun, but proved to be a pain. Diesel proved to be MUCH better. No carbon buildup, nor storage of wood with all of its associated mess in the boat, nor stoking it at all hours. I could leave the heat on while I was away all day and come home to a warm boat, and no third fuel to carry around. You may discover that propane is, by far, the best heating choice. But you won't find that out until you try wood.

Also, if you like to spend a lot of time outside, as we do, the campfire is a great place to get warmed up, and a lot of fun to poke at while under the stars. Having a second fire inside that must be attended to, will likely become too much. Then in the morning, with a wood fire, you can't just turn up the thermostat to warm the place up before you get up.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:48 PM   #32

Another thing that might be an issue is insurance.
My insurance company demanded to see a building permit for the wood-burning cottage airtight stove in my house. After investigation, I removed the stove and bought an electric oil-filled heater.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:08 PM   #33
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Chimney fires can occur in any size pipe. Species, moisture and draft are the controlling factors. To achieve secondary combustion requires a hot stove, mine starts at about 400-500° at the first elbow. I doubt four feet of pipe will give the needed draft to run hot enough. A double wall pipe with the combustion air coming through the outer chamber will cool the stack, kill the draft and encourage creosote.

In 40 years of heating with wood I've had two chimney fires. One wasn't enough . Both occurred with a Vermont Castings stove run following the manufacturers instructions. It's like a jet engine in your living room. With the castings stoves you can kill the air supply. The new EPA stoves won't let you do that. Unlike a propane stove, stopping a wood stove takes time.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:01 PM   #34

Missouri
heating

well I sort of think everyone can rock the way they want too. wood heat in a metal camper I would consider but not a fiberblass one but if you want it go for it!

bob
Old 02-26-2018, 08:13 PM   #35

Name: Cristin
Trailer: Scamp
Washington
Heating

Thanks everyone for all of your input, knowledge, advice, opinions. I am a different "camper" it seems than you wonderful folks. Winter is my time of trailer use only; snow!

I'm a backcountry ski tour person and am out in the middle of the mountains in freezing temps very far away from conveniences most are used to having; ie a town! Ha ha.

My scrap lumber is free and wood is always attainable where I go. Sitting "outside" by a fire at 17 degrees F with wind chills even colder and gusts up to 60 mph during storms. Outside fire? "Messy" makes me giggle. Tiny bits of wood in a bin, how can that really be messy and prepping wood? These are little 4" peices of clean lumber, not chopped logs w/bark n dirt.

I would cook on the wood stove, my gear can dry out and I can be warm. No generator, no gas, no propane, no ginormous batteries. Run out of all that stuff, Im screwed, freezing propane lines not fun, spilling fuel all over going down mountain roads, not fun. Currently, I cook outside on my Whisperlite...again, "outside" makes it tough in wind and freezing temps.

Space, my SUV is my storage closet. All my supplies are stocked in my vehicle. Only thing in Scamp is myself, headlamp for light, one plate, one bowl, one eating utensile.

The mini wood stove seems to be the answer to being boondocked in winter. Yes, fire and fiberglass are a "scary" mix. And in reading this thread some agree with the mini wood stove idea and some do not.

This has all been a great learning experience and I appreciate everyone in this thread. Now you know my situation a tad better. And so ya know, I'm a 48 year young female mountaineer trying to stay warm and cook without propane, gas, generators, electricity.

With that new perspective on things what are your suggestions now?
awinterchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #36

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Propane is an extremely clean, efficient, low cost, compact and energy packed fuel source for a furnace. Why reinvent the wheel? While many things can be done, it doesn't necessarily follow that they should be done. A key driver in that decision, for me at least, is whether or not a new way of doing things is actually better than the old way. The thought of stoking the stove over and over, splitting and stacking wood, needing a pile of it inside the small trailer, and dealing with all the cleanup and ash is enough to discourage me from camping. I love a campfire, but that's outside. If I had a cabin in the woods I'd be all over a wood stove, but we are talking about a very small space where far better heating options already exist.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #37

Small chunks of kiln dried wood burn quickly and fiercely.
You'll be too hot or too cold.
Maybe try candles, heat and bonus light.
And insulate that Scamp.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #38

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
.... If I had a cabin in the woods I'd be all over a wood stove, but we are talking about a very small space where far better heating options already exist.
Perhaps the mobility of the living space is a major factor. I would sooner put a wood stove in a camper that rarely if ever sees the road, as opposed to one that is always moving.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #39

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Perhaps the mobility of the living space is a major factor. I would sooner put a wood stove in a camper that rarely if ever sees the road, as opposed to one that is always moving.
Maybe, provided you've an ample and easily sourced supply of fuel. Otherwise it's easier to just go refill the propane tank - and a heckuva lot cleaner.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #40

Name: Elvin
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Cristin, if you go with the Cubic Mini Cub (and I think that would suit your situation perfectly) make sure you order the Stainless Steel pipe from them as it is flared perfectly to fit over the stove exit. Several friends of mine have install them on their boats and bought the SS pipe elsewhere. Many swear words were heard around the marina as they tried to get the pipe to fit.

Elvin
omache27 is offline   Reply With Quote