Heater - solid fuel w/chimney pipe - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Should also check that you are not burning pressure treated scraps.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #62

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Scrap lumber is usually soft wood that burns fast and heats little.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #63

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
The vents on these little stoves are 3". The concentric design doesn't cool the exhaust so much as it makes an outer pipe that is not red hot, and any extra warmth in the intake air will help the fire in those very small fireboxes. The benefit of being concentric far outweighs a small exhaust temperature difference. For instance, the most important feature of concentric venting is a stable draft. Without it, a change in wind direction or closed windows can cause a lot of problems. Especially in a small environment like a boat or a trailer where the vent is short. There is no other place you can bring combustion air in that works as well.

If you think a trailer might be tricky, try it on a sailboat.

I don't know how EPA rules and other codes specifically address travel trailer wood stoves, or if they mention them at all. Do they?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:50 PM   #64

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Scrap lumber is usually soft wood that burns fast and heats little.
Yeah, but it could also be oak flooring scraps, mahogany furniture scraps or truck bed apitong. Might be cut up oak pallets. I've even had oak whiskey barrel staves. All good wood. We just don't know.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Lots of dunnage is hardwood. I get tons of it for my fires. Burns HOT!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #66
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I don't know how EPA rules and other codes specifically address travel trailer wood stoves, or if they mention them at all. Do they?
I doubt they make the distinction, but I really don't know. As far as the concentric vent, as I said that's contrary to current practice. I find it hard to believe that fridged winter air, warm when it enters the stove won't effect draft. And stoves with secondary combustion are very draft sensitive. We'll agree to disagree on that one. Nuff said. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #67

Smith Valley, Nevada
Raz,
The main point about the draft isn't wether it's cooled a bit by the incoming air or not. It's that other influences affect it far more, such as external wind direction and the shape and volume of the trailer. Every other place to get combustion air is worse. And the added benefit of a cooler pipe in the trailer that is less likely to burn something, is another benefit, but more so on boats than trailers.

Obviously, the hot exhaust will be cooler, but the draft will work better anyway because of the other benefits. It may seem hard to believe, but fireplace draft in those small units is tricky.

You've mentioned "current practice" a couple of times. Can you tell me where it is current practice, with established codes and standards, to install wood stoves in trailers and boats? Houses are a completely different animal with specific building codes, approvals for the purpose, installation inspections, insurance requirements, local zoning differences, efficiency standards and air quality standards.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #68
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Raz,

You've mentioned "current practice" a couple of times. Can you tell me where it is current practice, with established codes and standards, to install wood stoves in trailers and boats? Houses are a completely different animal with specific building codes, approvals for the purpose, installation inspections, insurance requirements, local zoning differences, efficiency standards and air quality standards.

This morning I read your original question with regard to information on current practice suggesting an interest in learning more. After a long day I came here to honestly answer your question. Your edit appears to be a continuation of an argument. No thanks. As I said earlier nuff said.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote