Hello to everyone and thank for all of the interest hours spent on the forum. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Hello to everyone and thank for all of the interest hours spent on the forum.

Hello everyone, I've been on the site for several years adding to a few threads, but never introduced myself. I've enjoyed the conversations here and found the range of experience and knowledge very helpful. I'm Terry, my wife is Karen. We live in CA's San Joaquin Valley. We're in our 60's. Ive been retired for a couple of and have been camping quite a bit. Most of our camping is along the CA coast from San Clemente to Crescent City. So far this year 31 days with another 18 scheduled.
We bought a ComPact Jr in 2001 an used when work aloud. 4 years ago the frame broke on the way home from the coast. We got it home with comealongs and straps (two company wanted $1600.00 for under a hundred 100 mile), then I did something patch work welding to use it for a couple of more years. We were preparing to replace the frame when we came by our 16' Scamp which is more suitable to Karen.
We've done simple repairs and modifications on the Scamp. Replaced the furnace fan and the fantastic Fan motor, added a couple of 12v outlets, replaced door lock assembly and hinges, Karen made new curtains, modified the beds to suit our needs and 2 - 100 watt solar panels, one portable, one on the 1998 f150 camper shell to allow for charging when we're in shaded areas
Oh, heaven duty steps so Karen can get in and out more easily.
Now, it's time to replace that ComPact Jr frame, but that will be another thread later today or tomorrow.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:37 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
Oh, heaven duty steps so Karen can get in and out more easily.
Hello and good to have your active participation.

Sorry but I love to have fun with typos.. so here we go...

1. Getting in, I understand, but why would anyone want to get out once you got to heaven?

2. Hey where can I get those steps... I'm not sure I can get into heaven without some help.

3. And of course the obligatory music clip...

https://youtu.be/D9ioyEvdggk?t=466
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #3

California
The perfect clip.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #4

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Terry

Its nice to read something about each other I find so often on forums when we read posts without having some idea of the poster things can go sideways and do.

Myself I bought my 17 Bigfoot back in 2011 its a 1991 and in great condition everything works as it should, after the first season with it I knew I needed air conditioning the one thing that was lacking. The area I frequent in late spring and early fall temps can still be in the high 80s . I tend to avoid July/Aug. due to summer rates. Air was on my list before buying but after seeing the trailer I knew I could add it later which as a result of being on the forum I picked a Polar Cub 9200 up from a forum member for 400.00 still in the box. The cost of having it installed plus upgrading electrical was around 1500.00 CAN.

I've never looked back am really pleased with my trailer, I've been retired now for 9.5 years after 30.5 years working in the chemical industry. I use my trailer for about 60 days a year.

Dan
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #5

California
Dan, thank you. British Columbia is beautiful country from what little I saw off it in my one 2 week trip in 2002. Vancouver up the Highway to the sky and then the Island for 5 days. We met some of the nicest people on that trip. We hope to make it back next year. The year after at the latest, 3 weeks to a month.
We'll need to put on an air conditioner some day, but we generally camp where its cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter which is to say the coast. 99 today, 109 last week. In the winter down into the upper 20's once in along while. On the other hand I've picked over 120 pound of tomatoes this past week.