Help!! 13 scamp reno Questions All answers appreciated - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 11:05 AM   #1

Name: P. J.
Trailer: 75 Scamp 13
Florida
Cool Help!! 13 scamp reno Questions All answers appreciated

Hi Y'all Just bought a 13 ft scamp and am begining reno on it ... I have a few questions. It does not Leak

1. the padding on the inside I am assuming is insulation .. and it is moldy. after the mold is removed can I paint it and if so with what type of paint?

The black trim around the door and the body ( bottom) where can I get new and do I just drill rivets out with bit ( any hint on size would be great)

It has many layers of paint on it is it better to sand off or use paint remover.
will it be necessary to get down to original fiberglass which I can see and is shiny in some places. I am going to have to repaint the whole thing what is the best paint to use to go over the top after it is. sanded.

The jaloucey windows have most of there rivets and some screws with lots of caulking on the out side. and paint on the aluminum.. 1. what do I get the paint off with. and do they need to be removed and resealed .. I am guessing there should not be !/2 in caulking around the out side of the window..
The belly band has paint on it to and caulking at the inside edge. does it need it and do I need to take it all the way off.. trying not to have to take trailer completely apart..

The door doesn't close on the bottom I have had a tie down strap on it to help mold it .. the top has come in but the bottom has not .. there are two metal supports at the hinges what is the best way to bend those with out breaking the door..

There are a few screw holes that are on the body can tell if there are screws in them .. I was just going to fiberglass /patch over the holes any suggestions on product?

Front and back window seals don't leak but are dry rotted .. is it better to replace window and seal or just window .. ( the back one looks clear the front one has some crackling looking spots. )

I am removing the rust on the frame and was thinking of using an under coating for the bottom on the frame and the plywood floor from under the trailer.
any good suggestions on product??

Thank you!! in advance for all of your help and suggestions !! they are greatly appreciated!!
my email address is rnbwglw77@gmail.com if you would like to chat
Attached Thumbnails
ANVosY1YQzqV2ajS%dmUrQ.jpg   W7s6t6wpT4apVzwjRV8mFQ.jpg  

YWWEXzuVTbCYChkZvcOLew.jpg   IRNFWCxFQ1y%2Vt0J6aiPA.jpg  

Nrd2+z18TGafOBjwiAkDtA.jpg   LrOg0uyhQY6xxbYI+s9HLg.jpg  

Rnbwglw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
howdy! i can't tell from the pics - is there a metal bracket that attaches from the sink countertop to the upper cabinets? people often take it out thinking its just for looks & don't realize it helps hold up the roof. removal bows the door frame. good luck on your adventure!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:54 PM   #3

Virginia
also check the parts of the hinge. if the ball is worn, the door will hang wonky. a very easy fix!
Old 07-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
I feel your pain! We redid our 13' about 7 years ago and have loved it deeply ever since. Here's a link to our blog about the rebuild if it helps: https://sohkraites.wordpress.com/.

The blog contains step-by-step details of what I did to rebuild it; maybe it'll give you some ideas.

I am revisiting it myself since we just bought a 16' that was in just about the same condition as our 13'...(we are blogging about it there, too!)...and we are rebuilding it from the frame up!

Hopefully our experiences and photos will help you!

Good luck! The final project will be awesome!

Tony
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #5

Florida
There are no metal brackets and I took your advice and I went out and lifted up the door put a strap on it to recurve it but it has fallen the roof so I’m planning on jacking it up and putting a cabinet in to hold it in place and then some struts on the cabinet side the configuration is different than a regular one because it doesn’t have a sink and stove under the small cabinet so I’m trying to figure out how to support that side but when I lift up on the door closes all the way so I can see that it needs the support.
Thank you for that insight that will fix a lot of the issue that I have with the door.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #6

Florida
Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
howdy! i can't tell from the pics - is there a metal bracket that attaches from the sink countertop to the uppery cabinets? people often take it out thinking its just for looks & don't realize it helps hold up the roof. removal bows the door frame. good luck on your adventure!

There are no metal brackets on the sink/stove side because there is no stove or sink that has been changed into a sleeping quarter.
I did take your advice and check to see if I lifted it up with the door close now all I have to do is put a jack in there lift it up put some struts in and I’m going to put a cabinet to hold up the other side by the door but once I lifted the door up and put a strap on it to reshape it it appears that it will close properly.
Thank you I appreciate your advice
Old 07-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #7

Florida
Thanx I will take a look!!
Old 12-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Washington
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
howdy! i can't tell from the pics - is there a metal bracket that attaches from the sink countertop to the upper cabinets? people often take it out thinking its just for looks & don't realize it helps hold up the roof. removal bows the door frame. good luck on your adventure!
Hi, Sharon. I think this may be a problem with my 13’ Scamp door alignment but am not sure what bracket you are referring to. Could you post a photo or a link to one? Thanks.
Steve PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:38 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve PDX View Post
Hi, Sharon. I think this may be a problem with my 13’ Scamp door alignment but am not sure what bracket you are referring to. Could you post a photo or a link to one? Thanks.
Steve I wound up jacking up the roof on both sides just in front of the cabinets and then created my own cabinet in the picture To raise the top because they had taken the supports out there’s still a metal one by the door but I don’t think it really belongs there I still have one more to put in but my door closes much better now.
I feel like the trailer had sagged and the last owner took out all the sports so I took a jack and out I’m bored and jacked up the roof on both sides the door shut easily now then I created the cabinet and I have one More support to put in these are the best pictures I had
Attached Thumbnails
EBB3A54F-0499-4AF0-9E11-E62283DD44C2.jpg   0A489846-874F-4AC6-AAB2-445FA5AFF508.jpg  

Old 12-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #10

Washington
Mine still has the cabinet next to the door. I’m curious about the metal brackets Sharon referred to between the cooktop and the upper cabinets. Not sure what/where these should look like. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:02 PM   #11

Virginia
Old 12-10-2021, 01:07 PM   #12

Virginia
Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	144362
Old 12-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #13

Washington
Thanks! Mine doesn’t have those so I didn’t even know they were missing.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:41 PM   #14

Virginia
exactly! many think it's just decoration & remove it
Old 12-10-2021, 02:13 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Do your self a favor and purchase this stuff. It kills Mold. Yes, it is high priced but it works. If you order it now they have a 23% off. I have been using it for years.
https://www.pharmaca.com/kanberra-ge...hoC7uQQAvD_BwE
Me, I buy and use the pouch and it will last multiple years.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:58 PM   #16

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
Mold killer is exactly right.

Quite right to kill the mold but also add mold inhibitor to your paint.

There is a gelcoat paint-you can now roll on. I'll try to locate it and post here.

Fun project you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Do your self a favor and purchase this stuff. It kills Mold. Yes, it is high priced but it works. If you order it now they have a 23% off. I have been using it for years.
https://www.pharmaca.com/kanberra-ge...hoC7uQQAvD_BwE
Me, I buy and use the pouch and it will last multiple years.
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp