Help with uncomfortable side dinette cushions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Help with uncomfortable side dinette cushions

I've been searching through past threads for ideas to make our side dinette cushions more comfortable for both sitting and sleeping. Our cushions are very hard and firm, and sit too high. When used for sleeping we can add a memory foam cushion on top of the cushions to help with comfort. However that doesn't address the problem when using the dinette for seating. We'd like to keep our same seat covers and may consider replacing the foam with something less firm. The foam is 4 inches high. I thought I remembered reading a thread here once where someone cut down their foam height by 1 or 2 inches and then added a 1 or 2 inch memory foam on top as a replacement. Anyone have ideas or experience with this? Thanks!!
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I just replaced the cushion foam in my dinette cushions... my original foam had too much "give" and I went with a firmer foam (go figure!). I found an upholstery supply company in Tulsa that stocked several grades of foam, and I went and sat on their foam to decide if it was ok. Maybe you can find a similar company in your metro area where you can try several foams until you settle on one you like.

Memory foam usually is not used for sitting because it compresses too much to offer good support, but a little bit on top might add to your comfort level. If you can get a small piece and put it on your current cushion to try, and if you like it, you could maybe cut your current seat foam down to a lower thickness and add the memory foam. An electric carving knife might work.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Name: Julie & Terry
Trailer: 2019 GoBE; Former Scamp owner; 2005 & 2014 Jeeps
Minnesota
Thanks for your input Mike. I'll see what might be available for upholstery supply shops around here. I agree that trying out some alternatives prior to buying blindly is the better way to go. Our cushions are quite new... maybe I should consider just bringing them into the house and my husband and I can dance and stomp on them a bit to break them in some more. Just a thought!
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote