Here is another Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2003, 09:29 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here is another Boler

First, thanks to all of you who have posted pictures of works you have done. You have been a source of inspiration and a great moral support for what I had to do.
Buying a 1977 Boler (17') I expected there would be some surprises...And I found some...

Chester, do you remember that post you did in Sold thread :
Quote:
Hi All
Ad I saw.
Boler 17ft 1977 (750kg)Bathroom&shower,Electric and gaz fridge,Heater and stove New exterior paint and nice clean interior.Has brakes and good tires.A rare item for collector Or Boler enthousiast. Price $6500 CDN. Located in Montreal Canada.
Here it is...(not that price !)

Exterior is truly impressive. I just applied a rubbing compound and a Nu-Finish wax.
Interior walls and ceiling are covered with carpet in good condition. Appliances are all working except water heater. It has window tint film. I don't know which make. It's dark blue and in the evening, it's quite impossible to see inside from outside even with all lights on.

But...

Suspension was over. I had to replace axle, torsion bars by leaf springs, and electric brakes. Battery needed replacement. Then, when I was preparing to paint the interior, I noticed that there was two lino one over the other, on a 1/4 inch plywood, and all that was wet... I took them out. There was holes in the fiberglass covering wooden floor... and this one was wet too...I cut the fiberglass covering around modules, and took it off and let the floor to dry. Happily, it was not rotten. I painted it, and added over a new 5/8 inch plywood, so I could put new bolts attaching cell to frame because originals were loose. Now it was ready for a new floor covering : an oak finished floating hard wood flooring...

Later I found there was a leak around toilet/shower window. Water was getting down between the two fiberglass walls to inside the floor. I remade caulking around the window.
There was also many screw holes on inside walls. I puttied them, and paint the interior with acrylic latex paint.
While my wife was recovering cushions with new fabrics, I built new oak cabinet doors. As cabinet doors' panels are thin (5/16 inch), they are lighter than the original 1/2 inch presswood doors.

But, enough talking, let's look at it !

To unload this forum, (Hi, Mr. Webguy), my pics are now on my personnal website, found here after, in my signature

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 10:10 PM   #2

Awww, Raymond!

That's got lace curtains, hardwood floor, and an oven!

Beautiful!!

:ola :ola

Old 05-28-2003, 10:44 PM   #3

Another Boler

Hi Raymond:wave
Your Boler looks beautiful. I would like to know what you did to get your stove looking sooo good. Mine could really use a little help.
Congratulations on a super job.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:44 PM   #4

Hi Raymond
Well Rarmond you did a great job.I found when doing mine I had a lot of fun.
Now you have to get out and test it.
I know you will do other mods because once you start you can't stop
:wave

Old 05-28-2003, 11:45 PM   #5

Hi Raymond
One question----------Did your Boler come with carpet or did you do it.

Old 05-29-2003, 12:52 AM   #6

Another Boler

Very nice re do on the Boler. We just re did our stove top white as well.
Floor etc all looks great. Nice color on the outside . You had a lot of work to do on it.
Willma

Old 05-29-2003, 06:11 AM   #7

outstanding....

At first glance I thought the 'before' pix were 'after'!!! Excellent job- especially the woodwork. What a great pair of siblings your trailer and Chester's rig would make going down the northland hiways........thanks for the post and great ideas Hardwood cabinet doors- hmmmm........

Old 05-29-2003, 06:37 AM   #8

Here is another Boler

Hi, Mary,
Yes... Oven (and it works ! ) ... I know you are jealous of those who have oven.....;)

Hi, Barbara,
Stove top. I have tried to restore its original steel appearance, but was impossible. I used a whole can of High Temp white Tremclad paint. At least ten ultra thin coats with good drying between each. Then, I put the plate in the home oven to heat it max for at least one hour, to harden the paint.
It's not as hard as manufacture cooked paint, but with some care, I hope to keep it nice looking.

Hi, Chester,
Yes, it has been a lot of fun, but a lot of work too : one month full time, often from 8 am to late in the evening. - Yes it came with carpet. The one who did it made a great job. - You sure I want to test it...maybe next week, before our planned trip to the end of the road, East on North Shore of the St-Laurence River. Mingan Islands are spectacular. It is close to Anticosti. We leave to there at the end of June.

Hi, Willma,
I just look at your Boler pic. Exterior is very nice, too. Did you post some pics on interior ? I whould like to see them, if any.

Hi, Phil,
I catch your post just à the moment of posting. The 'Before' state was not so bad, indeed. It is just a matter of preference. And I like to work wood. I have a good experience of making furniture as hobby (I am preparing a personnal website on this, and my Boler job too).

To all lf you, thanks for your posts

Old 05-29-2003, 07:43 AM   #9

Woodworking

I love the woodwork. You did a great job!

Actually, the entire trailer looks great, it's just that I have a thing for woodwork. My dad was really good at it.

Old 05-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #10

Hi Raymond
Now how am I to compete with you.I am just a rough carpenter.:)
Hey Phill-------We are going to have to get our heads together.I like that wood.Oh well my new 72 Boler is undergoing a transformation now so I can experiment there.:wave

Old 05-29-2003, 09:19 PM   #11

Here is another Boler

Hi Willma,
Forget my question, I have found your pics. Nice.

Old 05-29-2003, 09:23 PM   #12

Here is another Boler

Hi Chester,
The question is not to compete, but to have fun. But I presume, that your new 72 Boler will outshine mine...

Old 05-29-2003, 09:26 PM   #13

Hi Raymond
Just joking.You did a terific job.:wave

Old 06-05-2003, 04:53 AM   #14

Hi Raymond
When you put your stove top in oven to dry after you painted it, at what temperature did you use.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:10 AM   #15

Hi,Chester
I set the max temp I could, 500 F°. Could not close oven door completely, just reclined it against the plate. Let it so about one hour. Paint was normaly dried before I did that. I don't know if that has much hardened it, I think so a little bit. It was an experience.

Old 06-05-2003, 02:07 PM   #16

Raymond
Thank You.
:wave

Tags
boler