Hitching up - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Linda, here's a link to ahitching thread I remember (and why wouldn't I?). Remote camera systems discussed at length later in thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ids-55632.html

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #22

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I use the tennis balls, love them. I've gotten better at hitching up, and now I only use them part of the time.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #23

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Another magnetic stick user here. They are worth the money. If you're worried about them being high enough, I would think that the product description would tell how high they go, and you could measure your rig to see if they'd work.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Magnetic telescoping rods work for me. I do have to get out to ensure the tongue of the trailer isn't too high, but great for alignment. I made a mirror hitching device that I used for a while ( pix are in the way back file here ), but it was bulky compared to the rods, which I keep in the glove box.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The telescoping tennis ball set that I have measures 42" from base to center of the ball when extended. They were on sale at etrailer when I was placing an order for something else, so I bought them. Don't use them much, but they can be handy at times. Don't know if there are different quality ones out there.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #26

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Just asking. How many people open the hatch/ tail gate/ rear glass to see when hitching up? I tried with my hatch, and so long as it remove the parcel tray, I can see the trailer well enough to get on target. Well, used to. I have the camera now, but the trick worked.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #27

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
I splurged on a Master Lock wireless backup camera. I think it was about $175 at etrailer. I tow either a camper or a cargo trailer at least once a week, so I'm hitching up quite often. It gets power from the trailer light connector. Also, I made a cord for it with a cigarette lighter plug so that I can power it from my jump start pack. With that setup, I have used it to help pull onto leveling blocks and to keep an eye on obstructions like trees and fence posts while backing up.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I tried a couple of different wireless cameras, & they worked OK for the back of the RAV4, but I wanted to add one to the back of the trailer. Finally settled on a 2 camera wired system from Rear View Safety. Not inexpensive, but it has worked well over the last two years.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #29

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Just asking. How many people open the hatch/ tail gate/ rear glass to see when hitching up? I tried with my hatch, and so long as it remove the parcel tray, I can see the trailer well enough to get on target. Well, used to. I have the camera now, but the trick worked.

Jason
It would limit turning on my car/trailer if I did (not to mention all the stuff that would fall out.) I can see the trailer fine- it's the distance I can't judge.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
Just asking. How many people open the hatch/ tail gate/ rear glass to see when hitching up?
Jason
Linda, I cant move the hitch on my trailer myself either other than by pushing hard on it to wiggle it over an inch or so on the tongue jack but I dont pack a dolly around either as it would take up to much space. Much happier camper these days packing less stuff around than I did when I first go the trailer & planning for all the what ifs.

Jason, I lift the tailgate on my tug and find it helps with line up - even though I cant actually see the hitch when its up. It allows me to see the handle on the trailers front tongue jack which I put in up position. I have learned where the handle needs to be lined up with the interior light on the rear of the vehicle hatch to know if the tug is straight onto the hitch. The handle also gives me a pretty good idea as to how close I am getting to the hitch & when its time to get out and check the distance. Once I know the distance if I keep my drivers door open and look at the ground for some marks on the ground of equal distance I keep an eye on those while backing up to judge the distance I have backed up.

Punching the hitch through the fiberglass bumper of the vehicle is always a concern. I have seriously considered the EZ hitch attachment that was posted and actually wish I had that on the tug this week-end. I like the idea of it over the balls as it would stay on the hitch and not be another loose item I would need to find/dig out when it was needed. My tug is an automatic so being careful not to give it to more juice than intended when back up a hill on a gravel surface can be a challenge sometimes. The good news on the week-end was I had the foresight when unhitching to put the trailer jack up on blocks so I was able to jack it up just high enough to clear the bumper if I was to go back to far by accident. Putting block under the tongue jack was I lesson I learned the hard way one of the first times I camped on a sloped site. I had to play the damsel in distress card and ask the guys next to me if they would come over and lift the trailer tongue up a couple of inches so I could get the ball under it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I have the magnetic telescoping yellow balls and they work OK. About half the time I still have to make one more adjustment after getting out and looking. I think they're worth it, it saves a lot of yelling between myself and my wife and son, and everyone is happier.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #32

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Using Escape as TV I use the rear window wiper bottom as a reference point, and the center line of the trailer front window curtains as an alignment target.

Am a plus 1 on Carols approach of leaving the drivers door open and finding (or making) a mark on the gound that matches how much further I need to back up once I get close.

Annoying to put it in park and have TV move forward 2 inches then go back to find I'm 2 inches short of the hitch. I can move it that far by hand but back may make me pay for it so will try again just to avoid the potential of a drive home with my back giving me fits the whole way.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Annoying to put it in park and have TV move forward 2 inches then go back to find I'm 2 inches short of the hitch.
Put in park, with your foot still on the brake pedal, apply the hand brake and it will stay put,
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I used those yellow balls but gave up on them once I got this hitch mirror. I can slide it onto the tailgate of our pickup, or use the suction cups to mount it to the rear window of the Subaru.
CIPA 11955, FastHitch Mirror : Amazon.com : Automotive
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote