How big of a hole can be cut? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2020, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Tyler
Trailer: In the market
Alberta
How big of a hole can be cut?

Hello,

I'm just getting into the idea of this fiberglass RV lifestyle. I don't even own one yet. Just weighing my options.

I would want to eliminate the indoor kitchen and have it outside instead.

Could a person cut a hole in the side fiberglass large enough to have a outdoor kitchen slide out? In my head it would be something that would slide out of the storage under the bench in the front.

Has anyone done/seen this? Is it even possible?
TylerC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I wouldn’t recommend it, especially in the front. You don’t have much space to work with under the bench, and the front door side is the weakest part of most small molded trailers. Seems a shame to cut any more openings in the shell.

I’d personally suggest a simpler route. Put your outside kitchen stuff in a large tote and slide it in the door. Pull it out when you get to camp.

We do all our cooking outside, but I still like having the inside kitchen just in case. We would only do light cooking inside if weather made outside cooking impractical. More often we cook outside and bring the food inside to eat if it’s cold, windy, and/or wet.

For short overnights we fuel the stove with disposable cylinders, but for multi-day stays we remove the LP tank from the Scamp. Eventually I’d like to switch to 2@11# cylinders so one can stay attached to the Scamp for the furnace.

There is a molded trailer- the Genesis 912- with a rear outside kitchen like a teardrop but with stand-up headroom. Found an old ad with some pictures: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...700-phoenix-az
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
It both can and has been done. I recently saw pictures of a trailer, that I though was a classified ad, but I can't find it. They had a door, just behind the curb side wheel well, that a kitchen pulled out of and unfolded. Very innovative.

The main concern on a fibreglass trailer is roof support. The closet and kitchen are frequently structural.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
personally I would take out the stove top and replace it with a camp stove, then disconnect the line and move the stove out to your camp table at will. Just need to reconfigure some lines and a shut of valve. then out on the camp table you need small propane bottles or a bigger bottle and hoses.

Some popups take the whole top of the cabinet off and move it out to the outside and hang it on a rail. You might look into that but most fiberglass trailers are not flat slab sided. So it gets more difficult and the tops are built into the cabinet and the cabinet are built all in one piece, where popups cabinet folds down for travel so splitting hinges is easy.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote