How do i set up a battery system? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Name: Zoshia
Trailer: Havasu
Oregon
How do i set up a battery system?

We have recently gutting everything out of out 10ft trailer and I would like to set it up with a battery system. The trailer currently has a breaker set up so it can be hooked up at a site however when we are not at a hookup site I would still like to have power. I am very green here so here are my questions;

The battery is DC so I need an inverter to run the lights, outlets and mini fridge when I am not at a hookup site, correct? Do you recommend a particular inverter?

A converter is to charge the battery, correct? Can it only be used by plugging it into a 120V system, so in other words in order for me to charge my batteries I need and outlet?

How long will two 6v batteries last running just a fridge and a light here and there, should it last 2-3 nights before needing to be re-charged?

How can I make the batteries last longer, get more and daisy chain them together?

What is the best battery to get? And would you recommend two 6V or two 12V?

Also does anyone have a diagram on how to hook the batteries up?

Thank you!
zoshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoshia View Post
We have recently gutting everything out of out 10ft trailer and I would like to set it up with a battery system. The trailer currently has a breaker set up so it can be hooked up at a site however when we are not at a hookup site I would still like to have power. I am very green here so here are my questions;

The battery is DC so I need an inverter to run the lights, outlets and mini fridge when I am not at a hookup site, correct? Do you recommend a particular inverter?
If all the lights, etc are 110 volts AC, then you would need an inverter to run them off the battery. You may need a true sine wave converter sized to meet the starting load of the refrigerator

Quote:
A converter is to charge the battery, correct?
It will also run 12 volt accessories from 110 volts AC input
Quote:
Can it only be used by plugging it into a 120V system, so in other words in order for me to charge my batteries I need an outlet?
Yes, unless you use a solar panel or wire your tow vehicle to charge the battery

Quote:
How long will two 6v batteries last running just a fridge and a light here and there, should it last 2-3 nights before needing to be re-charged?
A 110 volt AC refrigerator running off an inverter takes a lot of power. Rabbit has a thread here discussing such a system http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...far-51781.html

Quote:
How can I make the batteries last longer, get more and daisy chain them together?
Yes. 6 volt batteries would have be wired in series to create a 12 volt pair, then additional 6 volt batteries would have to be also wired in series to create another 12 volt pair, with the pairs then wired in parallel. But remember that the batteries are very heavy - it quickly becomes impractical.

Quote:
What is the best battery to get? And would you recommend two 6V or two 12V?
Two 6 volt golf cart batteries work great.

Quote:
Also does anyone have a diagram on how to hook the batteries up?
RV Batteries Wiring Diagrams

Quote:
Thank you!
You are welcome
Old 05-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Name: Zoshia
Trailer: Havasu
Oregon
Thank you! Very helpful
zoshia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

Name: jim