how good are c02 monitors - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Actually I was addressing my comment to Glen.. I doubt he will be in a sealed spacecraft.

Glen or Glenn?
Old 02-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #42

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Glen or Glenn?
If the second N is silent, is there really any difference?
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:11 PM   #43

Name: WILLIAM
Trailer: wolf pup
IA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogavnture View Post
how precise is a co2 monitor. i have an old duo therm. if i get a decent carbon monoxide monitor and oxygen sensor monitor are they reliable so i wont die of fumes
it seems i cant edit an original post i tried
yogavnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogavnture View Post
how precise is a co2 monitor. i have an old duo therm. if i get a decent carbon monoxide monitor and oxygen sensor monitor are they reliable so i wont die of fumes
it seems i cant edit an original post i tried

Me, I'm thinking the lack of complaints might be due to faulty CO detectors.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:23 AM   #45

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
William you seem to confuse CO and CO2. Not the same gas. CO is toxic and the result of combustion. CO2 is what you exhale, not toxic but if you were to only breath CO2 you would die, not because of the CO2 but because of lack of oxygen.

What I consider essential in a camper are a CO detector (not CO2) and a propane detector. I believe these two are mandatory in any new trailer.
If you feel the need for a smoke alarm, go for it. I don't have one in mine, it would go off every morning toasting bread over the stove. My choice.

I don't know what kind of heater you are using. Some unvented propane heaters, like MrHeater, have what they call an ODS (Oxygen depletion sensor). This is not a sensor like you would imagine being some electronic device and alarm. It is just the way the pilot flame burner is designed: as the oxygen level drops the flame gradually moves away from the thermocouple and the heater eventually shuts off by itself. There are no electronics or moving parts in that "sensor", they work good and they are basically fail-safe (they have been tested by the US CPSC). In other words, there is no alarm set off by this oxygen sensor, it just keeps the heater operating as long as there is a sufficient oxygen level. If you are using an unvented heater I suggest you get one with an ODS, properly vent the trailer when using it as explained in the instructions, and never use it without a CO detector, just in case. Other than that, I don't see the need for a separate oxygen sensor, and I've never seen anybody using one in a camper.
A bit of a nitpick, but CO2 is also poisonous. Just not anywhere close to as poisonous as CO, and your body's great at rejecting it via breathing as long as the concentration's not really high.

In an enclosed space with people breathing, CO2 poisoning probably becomes a threat slightly before oxygen depletion does. That'd still take a really really long time though, and something like a travel trailer's not really small or well-sealed enough for it to be a problem.

In the case of combustion, it's a bit more complicated. When there's lots of oxygen the reaction will mostly produce CO2. When the oxygen percentage drops a little bit (but still not enough to be directly dangerous), it starts producing lots of CO instead. So, the O2 sensor acts as a sort of indirect predictor of CO production.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:57 AM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
A bit of a nitpick, but CO2 is also poisonous.
Thanks Elliot, I totally agree.
One very interesting document on this subject is this:
https://cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/CO02_0.pdf

Worth reading for anyone considering an unvented heater with an ODS (like a MrHeater), and the effect of low oxygen on CO emissions for gas heaters.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote