How I did my AC unit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 1977 13 ft Scamp
Hi I don't know if anyone else has done this with their A/C but this is what I came up with. I wanted an easy conversion but not permanent. I also don't want to carry it year round. So what I did was to purchase a luggage door and bought the smallest unit I could find. I cut a hole in the scamp right below the belt line.(I was concerned about structural integrity). This allows just enough room to slide the ac unit out when needed and I slide it back in when done. This also allows me to remove the unit when the seasons change. Just thought I would "SHOW YOU MINE"
Attached Images

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #2

Ok hopefully these come out better!
Attached Thumbnails
kool1.JPG   kool2.JPG  

Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have seen this approach before, but this is a nice execution of the design. Thanks for sharing it, Clint.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
That's great!! Can you post a larger photo of what it looks like from the inside?

Did you just make a shelf for it to sit on or do you use some sort of actual slide-out mechanism?

Thanks!
efawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 76 Boler
I absolutely love this! Do you just leave your closet door open, or did you cut it in half? Does it make the stuff above it in your closet freezing cold? How did you wire it in? This is right where we are planning on putting our a/c, and we would love to know how easy/hard it is to do, what you would do differently, etc.

Cheers!
Tracy & Gaenor Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

What most of these AC modifications need is a framework to compensate for the structural integrity compromise of the hole. That baggage door is just the ticket. Well done!
Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
nice work Clint.. thanks for posting
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:53 AM   #8

Quote:
I absolutely love this! Do you just leave your closet door open, or did you cut it in half? Does it make the stuff above it in your closet freezing cold? How did you wire it in? This is right where we are planning on putting our a/c, and we would love to know how easy/hard it is to do, what you would do differently, etc.

Cheers!
At the moment I leave the door open but I am toying with an idea to cut a hole in the existing door and put a metal screen in it. I had thought of cutting the door in half but felt leaving it open would make a small area even more cramped. I have since put a shelf above the ac unit wich not only directs the air outward but also I put the microwave on it. As far as electrical went I simply bought romex in the aluminum casing and ran it along the step up are ( dining table )under the trailer over to the closet. I don't think you can see it in the pics but I then ran the power line further and installed an exterior outlet. If I were to have done any thing different I would have custom ordered the door as it was a little wider than was needed. The best thing about my mod is the fact the ac unit is EASILY removed when not needed. Thanks Clint
Old 06-23-2010, 05:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
What kind on hatch did you use and where did you get it? Also what kind of air conditioner and its demensions did you buy?

I am having difficult time finding the right parts.

Thank you
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
What kind on hatch did you use and where did you get it? Also what kind of air conditioner and its demensions did you buy?

I am having difficult time finding the right parts.

Thank you
I have not seen Clint online since last year. He may not see this.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Looks great! Reminds me of Lance's Blue Boler, where he used the piece he cut out of the Boler as the door for the A/C. Added a piano hinge and latch (did some work around the opening on the inside to make it water tight and put the A/C on a slider. Slide in, slide out or remove all together!

Terrific idea for a non-permanent installation. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

And yeah, I know Clint was last active 9th September 2009 - 10:34 PM
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote