How often are y'all actually replacing the axle? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2021, 12:08 PM   #1

Name: Dub
Trailer: WTB
CA
How often are y'all actually replacing the axle?

The dexter axles should be replaced every 10-12 years. Wondering if everyone follows this rule, or otherwise cares to share some thoughts/tips on knowing when you must replace the axle.

I know fiberglass cracks and busted cabinets are a giveaway that your axle is all dried up. What about loud squeeking when towing?
montereyfgrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:15 PM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
In 2011 I bought a 1977 Scamp which was on its second axle.

After a while, I learned it was likely completely worn out when I bought it.
In 2019 I replaced the axle, so it has has three axles (at least) in 44 years, so that's about 22 years-per-axle.

There are a few YouTube videos and websites that talk about how to tell if your torsion axle is worn out so you can do the experiments and determine for yourself if it's time for a new one.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:08 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
When to replace axle

It's time to replace the axle when the top of the tires starts rubbing on the fender.

On my trailer the spindle cracked. It's not a replaceable item. The first hint was the brake shoes were dragging, smelling and getting hot.

After the new axle the silverware drawer didn't get re-arranged after every trip.
Axle should be bolted on so the next one doesn't have to be cut off.
Welding is not the safest thing to do around fiberglass since it is flammable.

With the higher lift I could use 15" tires. That also helps the ride, and the 205-75's are cheaper.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:32 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Scamp 16 ft / 2005 Saturn Vue V6
We have 2002 Scamp 16 on original axle and it is still good. However I have always parked it with weight off the axle when it is not being used. Perhaps that has extended its life.
Steven F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:22 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’m guessing 10-12 years is more appropriate for trailers in commercial service with daily hard use.

With small molded trailers, 20 years or more is common. One issue is deterioration tends to be so gradual it doesn’t get noticed. I have yet to hear of anyone replacing a 20+ year old axle that didn’t report a marked improvement in ride quality.

Storing the trailer on jacks may help slow the gradual sag in ride height, but it doesn’t prevent wear from use and abuse (potholes, curbs, rocks…) nor the gradual deterioration of the rubber cords as they age.

Absent any indications of a problem (unusual tire wear, excessive bouncing, or rubbing in the wheel wells), around 15 years is a good time to evaluate the axle condition of your small molded trailer, and periodically thereafter.

A loud squeak sounds more like a leaf spring axle issue. If you have a torsion axle I’d be looking at brakes, bearings, coupler, anything that moves.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:40 AM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
It's time to replace the axle when the top of the tires starts rubbing on the fender.
But if your trailer has been lifted!
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #7

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Good question Parmm. I had mine lifted 4".
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Ride height is an unreliable indicator of axle condition.

A worn out torsion axle will typically exhibit inside tire wear. Impact damage can produce other patterns of uneven wear. Both can be confirmed with an alignment check.

Finally, an aged-out axle with brittle rubber cords can be diagnosed by raising the trailer on one side and checking how much the hub drops. It should drop several inches. Little or no movement indicates a “dead” axle.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:45 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
https://www.boler.ca/2017/05/19/torsion-axle/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I don't know where this folklore of you have to replace your axle when it is over a certain age came from. I bought my Scamp new in Y2k, and the 21 year old axle works as well today as the day my wife and I towed the camper home.

While I do agree that the axle will someday need to be replaced, exactly when the axle will need to be replaced depends upon individual circumstances.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:53 PM   #11

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
I am told my 1970 Axle is fine...just not that many miles?

Dan, I quite agree. I just don't understand the need for these new axles so often. I frankly prefer the lower 1970 Lovebug to pull over the higher 1970 Eriba Puck-both on original axles.

Each year I have my 1970 Lovebug axle checked, bushings repacked, aand am an told it looks good.
My Lovebug has been in an enclosed 10x12 storage unit for 12 years...not used.
I am eager to see what the shops say this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I don't know where this folklore of you have to replace your axle when it is over a certain age came from. I bought my Scamp new in Y2k, and the 21 year old axle works as well today as the day my wife and I towed the camper home.

While I do agree that the axle will someday need to be replaced, exactly when the axle will need to be replaced depends upon individual circumstances.

--Dan Meyer
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by montereyfgrv View Post
The dexter axles should be replaced every 10-12 years. Wondering if everyone follows this rule, or otherwise cares to share some thoughts/tips on knowing when you must replace the axle.

I know fiberglass cracks and busted cabinets are a giveaway that your axle is all dried up. What about loud squeeking when towing?

I don't know where that "rule" originated or how it got disseminated, but I am certain that it was not from Dexter.
I just changed mine on my Scamp13D after 16 years. It was in good shape with many years of life left in it, but I wanted a "ZERO" axle and 10" brakes.

Change your axle when it is worn beyond serviceability.

A worn torsion axle will display negative camber and/or tow out.
This will be manifested in excessive tire wear to the tread toward the inside of the tire.

The axle should be replaced when the difference in wear across the tread is sufficient to require tire replacement in an untimely manner.
That is to say...
If you replace your tires every 4 years and the inside tread still exceeds 3/32" then you don't yet need a new axle.
As long as the tread wear difference across the tread is not so rapid as to require premature tire replacement.
Most trailer tires start at 11/32"

Mine start at 8/32". After 4 years the inner tread was about 1-2/32nds less than the outer tread, but still above 3/32". This was after 16 years and more than 80,000 miles on the original axle.
I have towed this Scamp about 5 to 7 thousand miles per year.
The weight on my axle is about 1700 pounds loaded (a bit less than 80% of the original axle rating). Most Scamp13s are lighter.
It is also advised by some to lift the trailer enough to relieve the weight on the axle when in storage. Good advice which I have often failed to follow.

A bit of a tangent....
If you have a brand new Scamp and you pick it up at the factory, I suggest recording the distance from the very top of the rim (not the tire) to the inner fender straight up on each side of the trailer this will give you a starting reference point, measure again after 5or6 hundred miles and note the "set" (usually around 3/4"drop) then once again when loaded for a trip.
None of this matters much but it may give you a sense of what is normal.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:18 PM   #13

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
My Casita is 20 years old and still rolling on the stock axle. It still has a fair amount of “bounce” when pogoing on the rear bumper. I’ll probably replace it next year anyway! Just piece of mind.

I believe the rubber torsion arms are what deteriorate by age as much use, which is why it requires the replacement. A leaf spring suspension last forever as there is nothing to deteriorate it, other than rust. A torsion axle if stored in a garage environment with the wheels off the ground may extend the life by many years but ultimately father time destroys everything.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:02 AM   #14

Name: Dub
Trailer: WTB
CA
Sounds like getting 20 years or more is reasonable If you tow carefully and store it long term using some supports.

For the record my new to me 15 year old trailer just got its 3rd axle. The first was replaced at 6 years by previous owner due to blown tire damage. And I just replaced that axle because it had a 22 degree up angle on the arm and was rubbing the well (wtf?). I just replaced with 22 degree down angle and put on 15” wheels to result in a 7.5” lift haha. I feel compelled to post this because I want to give everyone a heads up that prices are up! I read online these axle ran maybe $450. I searched and searched and still ultimately bought through a dexter distributor for $940….plus tax. And $300 for install. Brutal but had to be done. Told my wife no gifts for me this Christmas please haha. So beware….be kind to your axle and expect to pay $1300+ in this current day and age if you must replace.
montereyfgrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:42 PM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
we've probably dragged our E21 15000 miles in the 4 years we've had it, it only did 2 trips with the original owner in the 2-ish years they owned it, its still on its original axles, but I do wonder if we shouldn't be considering this replacement at some point... Of course, its a 2 axle trailer, so twice the price.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 10:06 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
Quote:
Originally Posted by montereyfgrv View Post
Sounds like getting 20 years or more is reasonable If you tow carefully and store it long term using some supports.

For the record my new to me 15 year old trailer just got its 3rd axle. The first was replaced at 6 years by previous owner due to blown tire damage. And I just replaced that axle because it had a 22 degree up angle on the arm and was rubbing the well (wtf?). I just replaced with 22 degree down angle and put on 15” wheels to result in a 7.5” lift haha. I feel compelled to post this because I want to give everyone a heads up that prices are up! I read online these axle ran maybe $450. I searched and searched and still ultimately bought through a dexter distributor for $940….plus tax. And $300 for install. Brutal but had to be done. Told my wife no gifts for me this Christmas please haha. So beware….be kind to your axle and expect to pay $1300+ in this current day and age if you must replace.
I looked into replacing ours last year but Covid kinda put a halt to that. Now I’m expecting to pony up extra for the post Covid treatment, long wait times.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 12:49 AM   #17

Name: Derek
Trailer: Looking for a Scamp 13'
California
I did mine!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220210_132012_126.jpg  
Dloe65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:22 AM   #18

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dloe65 View Post
I did mine!
LOOK at how nicely that stands up now! I bet you're going to get a lot less bouncing than before also.

I personally would have added electric brakes at the same time, but for suck a small trailer it's fine (in my opinion) to go without.

I went with Flexiride for our 13' Scamp because I just wasn't 100% sure of the down-angle and Flexiride is adjustable. (Of course it's perfect, so I'll probably never adjust it. :-) )
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle