How to hang curtains? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 13" 1974 boler
British Columbia
How to hang curtains?

Hiya! I currently have towels strung across suction cup hooks on th windows acting as curtains in our boler...baby steps, right? I'm wondering how people have hung their curtain rods. I figured cuzza the round shape I'd get the kind of rod that is just a wire that attached at both ends. Grabbed it from ikea,
got it home, and noticed there are 3 screw holes on each end, so that's not happening. I'm not wanting that many holes in the shell! I guess no matter what kind u get there will be at least 2 holes through to the outside per window? Could someone pretty pretty please post some pics of their window coverings? Need ideas badly! Feel like a dolt driving around with old Canucks towels for curtains thanks so much!
ShelleyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Uhauls came with a kind of springy coated wire with a loop on each end to hook on a screw. BUT, Uhauls are double walled so the screws don't go through to the outside. That wire is available on ebay but I don't know the details as I don't use it. Apparently you cut it to length then put a screw eye in the ends to attach it. My solution to curtain rods was to buy 1/4" steel rod at Lowes, cut to length, flatten the ends, (hammer & anvil) bend ends to contour of wall, drill hole in the flat, and attach with the existing wall anchor. Just an option, I'm sure there are other ideas.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp your Boler cousins use a hook to hold a round expansion rod. One feature of this is the curtains are not flat against the wall since the wall curves.

On the Scamp it takes 2 of the short brackets to do the side windows, 2 short and a long (in the middle) to do the larger end windows. The door on mine has a flat bracket with a spike going up in the middle, spike goes through hole in end of small rod. Picked them up at a big box store. They are made for doors, one rod on top, one on bottom to keep the curtain from swishing around when the door is opened and closed.

I used snap caps & stainless steel bolts with brass acorn nuts to attach mine so the inside fastener matched the brass look of the bracket.

Listed on this page of the scamp store.
Hardware
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I'm ditching the curtains and installing single cell window shades. They were special order (of course) but they came in today. I got the room darkening kind to throw the interior into pitch black for sleeping.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #5

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
On our Scamp with the Rat Fur the beloved Dot made curtains with Velcro at the top. Cling On --- Cling Off!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #6

British Columbia
Velcro! Fusedlight, I think u just saved the day. I'm thinking a strip of velcro across the top of windows now, with Velcro dots sewn along the top of the curtain. No holes! Great idea, thank u!
Old 08-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You might want to put some velcro on the bottom, too, since the curvature of the walls means free-hanging curtains will stand out several inches from the wall at the bottom.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 04:02 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
You might want to put some velcro on the bottom, too, since the curvature of the walls means free-hanging curtains will stand out several inches from the wall at the bottom.
While that several inch gap from the wall can be nice from a breeze and ventilation standpoint it can be somewhat disconcerting to some folks to be laying in bed looking up under the curtains, looking works both ways if you see what I mean. Velcro attachment at the bottom would be nice addition.

I think Velcro hook side of strip will grip rat fur without needing the loop side strip, might want to check that out if you have that type of wall covering. If it does grip you only need the Velcro dots on the curtains nothing on the wall.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #9

British Columbia
Ya, for i'll for sure do a strip on the bottom of the big window over the bed, Jon, can't have it hanging in my face (or the sun waking me up, I love sleeping) rogerdat, got ensolite walls in the boler so gonna have to glue strips to the walls...next question is what kind of glue? Gotta stick to paint and be good enough to hold up curtains.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Shelley, some time ago Donna D posted a method for hanging curtains with simple sheet metal brackets that attach to the window frames using existing screw holes. You don't need to drill any holes in your fiberglass walls. I'm hoping she'll see this and send a link your way. It was pretty slick. When we ordered out Scamp, I meant to do that myself. It would have saved 20 rivet holes and potential leaks down the road. Unfortunately, I completely forgot about it until I read this thread. Good luck!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #11

Michigan
I have some memory of Donna posting on that, don't recall details.

On glue 3M 77 spray adhesive is readily available and sticks to ensolite. I used it on my seam tape, I will say instructions on can about spraying both surfaces for stronger bond are correct. Clean any overspray before it dries, eventually overspray will yellow a bit if you don't.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:37 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just be careful with velcro, after pulling on and off, the rat fur is going to get real fuzzy.

Roger is probably remember this picture:

Name:   BarOnWindowForCurtains.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  21.2 KB

Here's another similar one.
Click image for larger version

Name:	BarOnWindowForCurtains_02.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	75180
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
That's it. I thought it utilized the screw holes, but it's riveted to the frame. Pretty slick!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:13 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How to hang curtains?

Shelley, for us it's the side windows that cause the most trouble, since your head ends up right underneath. We were parked for the night right under a security light recently and it shone directly into my wife's eyes through the gap at the bottom of the curtain. We were on a side-to-side incline so swapping head to foot wasn't possible. Stuffed some thick towels behind the curtain as a quick fix. It was one of those late night, parking lot, leave the car hitched situations...

Donna, like your solution! Going into my idea folder.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #15

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I know this has been posted before, but here's a detail showing how Dorothy assembled things:
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020315.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	75431
(click to embiggen)

The ribbons are sewn together at the top and strips of Velcro attach it to the rat fur. Then, the "black out" curtain is made from terry cloth. That attaches with Velcro to the top of the ribbon curtain.

It's nice and dark in the Scamp at night now...even with those stupid RV park security (!) light blasting away. You could always use an even more opaque fabric if you wanted.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote