Hunter Compact II Canvas - Need Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: Hunter Compact II 1974
Nevada
Hunter Compact II Canvas - Need Help

If anyone has a pattern that they are willing to share that would be awsome. I can sew and I have a general idea thanks to Bob Miller. My dilemma is still that I have no idea how to attach the canvas. I see holes that appear to have had snaps or screws in them at some point but there is nothing there now. I really need pictures of what I need to find/buy to do this right. Otherwise it will be velcroed on. I am working on uploading the album of all the photos of us working on Daisy.
ChickOStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A shop that does marine (pleasure boat) canvas or a shop that does automobile convertible tops should be able to do this without a pattern. It looks like you want to do this yourself so you might look at a place like West Marine online or in a store if you have one close to you. They sell snaps and all kinds of fasteners to attach canvas to fiberglass. I still have some from when I had a boat. Some of the special tools to attach snaps are very inexpensive. Could you make a pattern from cardboard or heavy paper ?
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Compact Jr
California
Hunter II canvas

I have one of these and the canvas was gone... after much thought i cut a piece of shade cloth about 25 foot long and about 15 16 inches wide... bought many small stainless bolts with fiber inside nuts and began to use current holes in both top and bottom. i fit the top inside the cover and the bottom outside the shell and then sewed the back together for a seal... i just went thru a very hard three day rain in so cal with no water inside.... and the whole thing costs less then $60.00..... make sure you leave slack at all corners for raising/lowering the trailer top but this works... and then down all the cloth fits under the top without restrictions....

good luck

jim in ramona
Jim in Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #4

Name: Chris
Trailer: Hunter Compact II 1974
Nevada
Do you have any close up photos of the fasteners?
ChickOStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
You can also go thru SailRite.com if you don't have local canvas work supplies. They have great customer service if you have questions

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Hunter
Missouri
I just had my vinyl/canvas replaced

I kept the original one and I can post the measurements this weekend if you still need them.

Doug
luptak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by luptak View Post
I kept the original one and I can post the measurements this weekend if you still need them.

Doug
Doug, this topic comes up often enough that I'm sure the information would be needed. If not right now, having it placed in the archives for the future would be terrific

It's very nice of you to offer
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:28 PM   #8

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Please, please, please!
This year I really need to get ours replaced. It seems like a fairly straightforward project and I have canvas work experience and equipment

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 PM   #9

Name: Gagan
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
British Columbia
Hello All

I've just bout my Hunter Compact ii. The original vinyl boot is in bad condition. I'm planning on replacing it in the next month or so, I'll post a pattern. I can probably get up there to take photo's of the fittings and get you some measurements this weekend if you need? Just let me know exactly what you're after

Cheers EasyT
EasyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote