Hunter Compact Jr interior insulation - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #1

Name: Tiffany
Trailer: Compact junior
Oklahoma
Hunter Compact Jr interior insulation

We are just sort of figuring it out as we go... trying to slowly fix up our Compact Jr. and need to add something to insulate the bare walls. We live in Oklahoma where they say "if you don't like the weather just wait 'til tomorrow!" Very hot summers and pretty cold winters...with both extremes randomly mixed together in spring and fall. We took her out for the first time this week and our little air conditioner could barely keep up. The walls are bare fiberglass (maybe one coat of paint). You can even see sunlight coming through in the thin spots. I bought a 6x8 roll (is that even enough?) of indoor outdoor carpet at Home depot (looks like tan boat carpet) and would like to get it on the walls but have seen conflicting information about how to apply it, what adhesives to use and weather or not to add anything else underneath. I am a messy painter/creative person so I'd like to avoid spray adhesive in there if possible because we have already re-done and painted the cabinets. I just don't trust myself that I wouldn't get it all over everything.

Backwoodsbeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:05 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Here's a site search for "glue insulation 3m contact" (no quotes used in search).

There's lots of information available on heat resistant adhesives, insulation materials and installations. You can modify the search to fine-tune your results too.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...+contact&sa=Go

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:18 AM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodsbeautiful View Post
We are just sort of figuring it out as we go... trying to slowly fix up our Compact Jr. and need to add something to insulate the bare walls. We live in Oklahoma where they say "if you don't like the weather just wait 'til tomorrow!" Very hot summers and pretty cold winters...with both extremes randomly mixed together in spring and fall. We took her out for the first time this week and our little air conditioner could barely keep up. The walls are bare fiberglass (maybe one coat of paint). You can even see sunlight coming through in the thin spots. I bought a 6x8 roll (is that even enough?) of indoor outdoor carpet at Home depot (looks like tan boat carpet) and would like to get it on the walls but have seen conflicting information about how to apply it, what adhesives to use and weather or not to add anything else underneath. .
You can apply the carpet directly to the wall with the VOC type of yellow contact cement, it comes in quart sized cans, brush or roll it on. Readily available at any hardware store. The advantage of it is it will hold up to the high heat levels that can occur from the hot sun on the walls and the heat buildup inside the trailer when it is just sitting around outside in the summer. Do not use the water based version of contact cement, it won't work for this application.

Fortunately the Compact Junior has lots of flat wall surface area, that makes the job a lot easier for installing wall coverings as there are only a few compound curve areas to deal with.

But the best thing to do in the summer time is try to find some shade to park in. Even for insulated trailers that is true.

The other thing to know is that the window glass is where you will get a lot of heat gain. The fiberglass itself is not as bad for heat gain compared to a pane of glass especially on a white trailer. So if you have a rock shield over the front window in hot weather than can help keep that pane cooler by acting as an awning when camping. For the other two side you might want to have some type of window covering such as a small awning over the window to put out to keep the direct sun off the window.

This is a link to a youtube channel "Tiny House Giant Journey" about a couple's purchase and process of fixing up Compact trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-7wiZcPjAmFt5D
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:21 AM   #4

Name: Tiffany
Trailer: Compact junior
Oklahoma
This is very helpful thank you so much!
Backwoodsbeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote