Hunter Top - Canvas or Vinyl? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: '73 & '74 Hunter
Oklahoma
Registry
Hunter Top - Canvas or Vinyl?

I've removed the fabric top from my 1974 Hunter Compact II. I'd like to keep the same look and material as the original. Is the fabric (not the window portions) made of canvas or vinyl or something else?
Brian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hunter, Compact Jr fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian G. View Post
I've removed the fabric top from my 1974 Hunter Compact II. I'd like to keep the same look and material as the original. Is the fabric (not the window portions) made of canvas or vinyl or something else?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Compact Jr and like most 40 - 50 yr old trailers the fabric has been replaced. I doubt many trailers have the original fabric, but someone will know what it was. My point is that it doesn't matter, having original material won't help the resale price. And newer fabrics might be better. Mine is home done, who knows when and is a a cloth material I sprayed to be somewhat water tight. I took it off and it was strong enough to merit replacing the window screens. My Compact Jr was in the desert for years and had one owner, I bought it from his niece !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:14 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Registry
David G, I think you are right. I'm probably over-thinking this. One thing I should probably avoid is using a fabric that is too heavy. It needs to fold-up easily enough to permit the top to fully close.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:08 AM   #4

Name: Marianna
Trailer: Hunter, others
California
I also have a 74 Compact II . When I bought it 3 1/2 yrs ago had a vinyl skirt that was in need of replacement .I removed it and made a new one out of outdoor canvas material (.Not Sunbrella ) .I replaces the screened areas with a thicker screen fabric .It has held up very well If I could figure out how to load photos ,it may help 😃
mariannasauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #5

Name: Jane
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr 1972
Colorado
Registry
Hunter Top

I used Weather Max 65 Polyester fabric purchased from Seattle Fabric. It’s water resistant, UV resistant and a dream to sew. I watched many of the DIY videos on the Sailrite website for designing and sewing details. I also purchased zippers, binding, UV resistant thread, etc from Sailrite.
I have sold my Hunter Compact JR.
janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #6

Name: Dail
Trailer: 1971 Compact Jr
California
Registry
It's been a long time since I replaced the original fabric on mine, but if memory serves, it was a coated fabric that was water proof. I used Sunbrella to replace it, very easy to work with. The only thing I found out about Sunbrella is that if you leave a little fold of it poking out from under the FG top in the southern Nevada sun for 10 years, it will degrade, so I'm going to replace it again, and I'm using Sunbrella again.

Quote:
Dail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:28 PM   #7

Name: Frank
Trailer: Hunter 1 1974
Colorado
Hunter II

We took ours to a boat upholstery place and they replaced it with a folding, collapsible vinyl. It was costly around $500.00 but they did a great job.
sandunes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Sur Last is a urethane coated polyester canvas fabric that is made by the Sunbrella company. It is the perfect weight of the popup canvas. It does not leak and it is color fast. I used it for the popup canvas on my Campster trailer. No problem folding it, it has been 3 years now and I have had the popup top open in all kinds of weather. I also leave it up even at home base spring, summer and fall unless there is a very high wind warning. It is still in perfect condition.

You can purchase it through Seattle Fabrics. They do mail order and are still working and open during the Covid 19 as they are an essential business.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/60-Su...ard_p_117.html
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:35 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Registry
Wow. Thanks so much! I wasn't expecting such helpful details. I can see this is going to be an adventure. What a great forum we have.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:42 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
I think the original pop-up top is made from vinyl and not canvas. The material is smooth and not woven. Interestingly, the panels are not sewn together. Apparently they were heat-sealed.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN7668.jpg  
Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #11

Oregon
Quote:
I think the original pop-up top is made from vinyl and not canvas. The material is smooth and not woven. Interestingly, the panels are not sewn together. Apparently they were heat-sealed.
unfortunately vinyl was never meant to hold up for nearly 4+ decades.

Unless you are trying for a like kind restoration versus a renovation I would not replace it with a vinyl product. But it is your trailer and your choice to do with as you like so do as you wish. Lots of choices of materials will work.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:02 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Registry
I am trying for a like kind restoration.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Top ?

Quote:
I am trying for a like kind restoration.

As I mentioned above I have a heavy cloth skirt on my Compact Jr. Even with cloth, when the top comes down, it sometimes does not fall into place correctly . I have to reach in and adjust the cloth, one side and then another, I think that might be even more of a problem if it was stiffer vinyl.If I don't do this, the top comes down on the cloth, usually leaving some of the cloth sticking out, exposed to the elements. David in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 AM   #14

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
As I mentioned above I have a heavy cloth skirt on my Compact Jr. Even with cloth, when the top comes down, it sometimes does not fall into place correctly . I have to reach in and adjust the cloth, one side and then another, I think that might be even more of a problem if it was stiffer vinyl.If I don't do this, the top comes down on the cloth, usually leaving some of the cloth sticking out, exposed to the elements. David in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
It is normal to have to adjust the cloth on the older popup trailers. It only takes a couple of seconds to do so. If you focus on how annoying you find it to do then you will be much more annoyed by something that is a relatively simple task to do.

When you make a new cover sew in some little straps to grab onto to make the pulling action easier. Some of the popup top designs on the vintage trailers also had strips of elastic sewn into the 4 corners so that it gathers up the material in the corners as you lower the pop top.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 1993 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft / 2002 GMC Safari SLT
I own a Compact 2. The top curtain is not the original and curtain attachment leaves a lot to be desired.

How are you attaching the curtain top and bottom to the trailer.

Presently the previous owners used 1/4 20 screws to hold to top with washers and nuts poked through the vinyl. I'l glassing over the screw holes and looking at something better suited for the task.

I'm considering using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OP558P5Y&psc=1
on both the fiberglass and vinyl for both top and bottom. This would allow easier removal and replacement as required.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Roy Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:59 AM   #16

Oklahoma
Registry
For the bottom I made holes in the fabric and fastened it with screws, washers, and nuts through the fiberglass lip. There is a hem at the bottom that encloses nylon cord acting as a drawstring to hold it tight. For the top, I used the same method, but between the fasteners I applied Loctite marine adhesive sealant.

The adhesive fastener tape you referenced looks like a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   1.jpg  

3.jpg  

Tags
vin