I Did It Again...A Compact Jr. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 PM   #61

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Larry, what do you mean by "weird"? Tries to run, bubbles ???
Donna- here's a picture of the bubbles before being smoothed with a foam brush... Actually, it turned out better that I thought--- it's only "2-3 foot" paint job--- does have some waterfalls on the back, tho. Worked on the pantry tonite- closed off the old fridge stack with hardware screen to keep the birds out- will add bug screens over top of that to keep bugs out, and installed screen behind the shelves to keep things from tumbling over the edge. It's getting there- Grayland trip is only 2 weeks away... Hope everyone isn't getting tired of all my posts. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0487__Small_.JPG   SANY0491__Small_.JPG  

SANY0492__Small_.JPG   SANY0494__Small_.JPG  

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #62

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Cool

Quote:
It's an illness.... peterh has it too. Please keep this sickness in Washington State... I can't afford it!
Funny you say that, I feel like I have been bit by the bug! And we plan to move up to Washington ASAP!!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 05:06 AM   #63

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Hope everyone isn't getting tired of all my posts. Larry
You've done a very good job of explaining the processes you're going through and have graciously documented that work by posting pictures. Current members are learning and I know this will add to the value of the archive for future members looking to accomplish similar updates/upgrades. Keep 'em coming
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #64

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
No, we're not tired of your posts. They're very educational; keep them coming. Thanks for all the great photos.
Pamela S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #65

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
..snip... Hope everyone isn't getting tired of all my posts. Larry
Larry,
Your posts has an incredible timing, after someone alerted me to your thread here. I just acquired a Compact Jr., and it is like looking in the mirror at mine, aside from the Coleman lantern :-). Mine actually had a two-way fridge. I cleared the drawers, and bed frame covers to do my first thorough examination.

My Compact has been sitting in a garage for over 10 years. The garage storage also had little squatters living in there as well. I think the eviction happened when I pulled the trailer out of it's hole. Everything seems to be intact, and a good coat of paint would cover everything up. The floor only has a small softspot. All the wood work is ok, with the exception of the lingering odor from the little inhabitants. If I could pressure wash the entire inside and let er' dry out, I would be satisfied, but that is not an option. One other reason, for restoration process, I wanted to strip, and paint the rusty frame, but will make a decision if I will go that far.

After seeing your pictures, which will be invaluable to my thought process, I have to choose wisely. I am already tired seeing your pictures. he he. Keep up the good work!
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #66

Trailer: 1974 Compact II
I have been reading your posts for some time since you started on the 1st page.It is very interesting. We have a Compact II. And you give us inspiration. We love that paint job. Do you buy that at an auto parts store? It looks very nice.We haven't made any changes to ours yet. But someday. Keep up the good work.
Dennis Theurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #67

Talking

Quote:
I have been reading your posts for some time since you started on the 1st page.It is very interesting. We have a Compact II. And you give us inspiration. We love that paint job. Do you buy that at an auto parts store? It looks very nice.We haven't made any changes to ours yet. But someday. Keep up the good work.
No--- that paint is that famous Interlux--- designed for fiberglass boats. I used the cheap stuff-- 'bout $85 a gallon--- used about half of it. No primer. Just scuffed the old paint job (I think it was house paint-flat white and chalky) with 80 grit on a DA sander and rolled it.... Before sanding, I washed the old paint down with Prep-ALL ( a wipe down compound to remove oils, waxes, silicones, etc-- otherwise "fish eyes" can show up) then used a tack cloth before painting. Two coats rolled on. Larry
Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #68

Larry, or anyone who can answer this question.

What kind of paint can be used to paint the inside walls? The previous owners may have used a house paint in the inside. I would like a paint that has a good surface impervious to fingerprints, and can be wiped down to clean.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #69

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
This works very good http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=35

Name:   PWIEggShell.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  45.2 KB
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #70

Talking

And the lights work!!!! Spent most of the day rewiring the Compact completely. Tommorrow the propane system goes back in....... Gonna plumb in a Mr Heater permanent (just store in in the cupboard below the old icebox area) and notch the cupboard door to let the hose come out when in use. (and use the old fridge plumbing for the heater) And of course, hook up the Coleman light fixture. Wired the flourescent fixture above the sink into the tail lite circuit so that if one has to stop at nite and get into the trailer, a lite is available. (no battery will be on board--or 120 volt for that matter) Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0496__Small_.JPG   SANY0498__Small_.JPG  

Old 09-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #71

Talking

Quote:
Larry, or anyone who can answer this question.

What kind of paint can be used to paint the inside walls? The previous owners may have used a house paint in the inside. I would like a paint that has a good surface impervious to fingerprints, and can be wiped down to clean.
I think I screwed up on that one, I used a flat interior house paint (what can I say, it was free ). It shows smudge marks easily...... We'll see how it makes it thru the hunting season. May have to mask everything off in the Spring and use something like Kevin recommended. Larry
Old 09-14-2008, 11:32 PM   #72

Kevin K.
Thanks for the paint reference. I hope it sticks to fiberglass. :-)

Larry,
It is all you fault! Your pictures have given me the courage to explore mutilizing a perfectly good trailer to start with. Ok, well not really perfect, but does show some age around the corners. Today I dismantled the bed and closet areas. The refrigerator seems to work ok, both electric, and propane. Tested the electric, and today testing the propane.

The closet section came out in one entire section once I got the anchor screws out. Next the galley! I aim to replace the floor. It is still reasonably solid, but I like how you did your floor. With a fresh plywood floor it should eliminate any odor from former inhabitants (mice). I will be able to seal the plywood edges with epoxy to prevent any future delamination from possible moisture. I plan to CPES (Rot Doctor Product) the road side.

Larry,
I hope you don't mind me sharing your thread. To post any of my pictures would look just like your pictures, down to the linoleum! I have the same pattern in mine.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:38 PM   #73

I have two questions (for now).

1. After removing my cabinets, I have the same paint pattern. Is the offwhite pinkish paint color the primer? I assume the original interior color was white.

2. Did you piece the floor in from the inside, or did you build the entire floor first?

I am guessing you lowered the entire floor in from the roof. The back door seems to small. I barely got the cabinet through.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:21 AM   #74

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
1. Is the offwhite [b]pinkish paint color the primer? I assume the original interior color was white.

2. Did you piece the floor in from the inside, or did you build the entire floor first?
1. Compact Jr.'s came from the factory in 4 Pastel Colors:
  1. Robbin's Egg Blue
  2. Pastel Pink
  3. Canary Yellow
  4. Pastel Green

I don't remember if white ever was a factory color. Most were repainted at one time or another.

2. When I replaced the floor in my Compact Jr., I pieced it in through the door.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:45 AM   #75

Talking

Quote:
I have two questions (for now).

1. After removing my cabinets, I have the same paint pattern. Is the offwhite pinkish paint color the primer? I assume the original interior color was white.

I am guessing you lowered the entire floor in from the roof. The back door seems to small. I barely got the cabinet through.
Hmmmm Let's see if I can give a coherent answer or two....
!. That pukey pink, I think that is/was the original interior color, maybe some others can answer that question. That seems to be sorta slopped/painted on before the cabinents were installed. The interior of mine was painted sorta white once, but that was by a previous owner. (that could be surmised by the paint drips and smears on the seats and cabinents) I also found a newspaper from the Olympia, WA, area from the 70's that was stuck down with the whitish paint....

2. Believe it or not, the original floor came out thru the door, I removed it before sliding the body off. I propped it up a little from underneath, then reached in thru the removed window and stood it up. Slid it out. Remember the plywood floor is only 4 ft wide and the door is taller than that. (it is 10 ft long tho) Since only 4 x 8 sheets are available around here, that's what we used. Cross memembers were added at the seam area. Then, pieces were cut to fill in. The areas that were too odd to make pieces for just got a treatment of leftover Bondo I had. When I ran out of Bondo, RockHard wood putty was trowled in..... The plywood was screwed to the crossmembers wherever we found (or thought) it wasn't laying down nicely. Another reason I added crossmembers is that I am anal about the floor flexing... (and I like to weld) I posted two pictures of frame--with and with out added crossmembers. Larry (also how the floor was filled to take the floor covering)
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0355__Small_.JPG   SANY0365__Small_.JPG  

SANY0415__Small_.JPG  
Old 09-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #76

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I have no pinkish white showing in the interior of my '73 Compact Jr. I believe that all Jr's had diamond quilted white vinyl on the interior walls when they were built. I have no facts to prove this idea. Areas that have no vinyl on mine (like the interior of the wheel wells) are yellow raw fiberglass. My exterior was originally lime green. I wonder if the pinkish white you are seeing might be the left-over glue? Best of luck on both your great projects.
Tom Trostel
Old 09-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #77

The discovery of what I refered to as a pinkish color are behind the cabinets. The visible interior surfaces are white. It appears that previous owners did repaint over what ever was original. I also have the raw yellow fiberglass in areas that are normally hidden by cabinets. The color differences can be seen in some of Larry's pictures.

It is not a big ordeal to know the answer, as I was just trying to learn what was the actual color, and if primer was used historically. Do I need special primer if I paint over the raw surface?

How are the quilted panels attached to the inside? I don't show any evidence of any fastener remnants, or hangers in my Compact Jr.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Made a new straight axle today - eliminated the 4" drop to raise it. Larry
How do you like the new height of the straight axle? Do the tires in the wheel well still look proportional at the new height? I am contemplating adding electric brakes.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #79

Talking

Quote:
How do you like the new height of the straight axle? Do the tires in the wheel well still look proportional at the new height? I am contemplating adding electric brakes.
Here's the difference--- tongue height is about the same between the two rigs... I built the straight axle 'cause if I just put the axle under the springs (commonly referred to as "flipping" the axle), I would still have that 4" dropped axle and not gain any ground clearance on the axle. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0289__Small_.JPG   SANY0411__Small_.JPG  

Old 09-16-2008, 11:23 AM   #80

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Registry
Larry,

I've enjoyed your posts and appreciate the photo with the straight axle. I just rebuilt my 72 Compact Jr. and have been contemplating switching to a straight. The photo helps.

I'm still trying to decide on a related issue, and wonder if you'd share your thoughts.

Like you had mentioned in a previous post, your rebuild, and definitely mine, are going to be slightly heavier than factory. I replaced the original 'structural paneling' used in all the cabinets with 1/2 inch plywood, added a three-way fridge, a 12 volt bank, and generally beefed the whole rig up, from floor to ceiling. Haven't weighed it yet, but 'loaded for bear' I think she's going to top 2000 lbs.

The factory axle and mated hubs and wheels are 2000 pounders. The next size up, on the shelf, is 3500 pounds, and would require different hubs and wheels. If I have to replace all three of my (new) 4 on 4, 13 inch wheels, I'd want to go to a size that matches my tow vehicle.

Does it look like there's room for a 15 inch wheel once the 4 inch drop is eliminated? Do you recall, was your 'hub face to hub face' length 58 inches?

Fairly tough to find a 58 inch 3500 lbs axle. I did find one - but I'm second guessing the 'need' and 'will it work'.
Phill Roehrs is offline   Reply With Quote