I Did It Again...A Compact Jr. - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #81

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
When we bought our in early 1975 it came with a straight axle.

The interior fiberglass was covered with diamond quilted vinyl, but was very dirty, decrepit and torn off in many places. I removed it and painted the rough surface of the interior fiberglass with several coats of white latex trim paint. I think the trim paint has a bit more color, body and sheen than the regular house paint.

It was serviceable and looked nice, but did sweat in cool weather.

We really enjoyed it as a young couple, took two circuits of the whole country, but when we started our family it was sold to a couple that had just retired.

Our gripes were: 1) the rear door was always terribly dirty with road dirt. It also 'worked' in its frame and didn't seal well. 2) the bed was huge -- we thought that part of the real estate it used could have been better used. 3) the frame, especially at the tongue was very weak and had to be beefed up.

What we liked: 1) we loved the light weight and simplicity 2) the pop top was a great idea. It allowed for excellent ventilation during warm weather, and even when down, we could still walk around almost without bumping our heads.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #82

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Larry,

I've enjoyed your posts and appreciate the photo with the straight axle. I just rebuilt my 72 Compact Jr. and have been contemplating switching to a straight. The photo helps.

I'm still trying to decide on a related issue, and wonder if you'd share your thoughts.

Does it look like there's room for a 15 inch wheel once the 4 inch drop is eliminated? Do you recall, was your 'hub face to hub face' length 58 inches?
Hmmmm- I still have the dropped axle, measured it tonite, 'cause I could remember how wide the new one is.... The old one is 57" hub to hub (wheel mounting surface)
I'm running 175/80 13 tires (passenger) -they are 23 1/2" tall. I measured how much room is above the tires, about 8", except the weight is off the suspension. So, I'm guessing it will be closer to 6" loaded. Will tell you more next week after we use it. Also will weigh it loaded going down the road. And give you body clearance from the road. Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #83

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
I am so jealous - I have decided that I really, really want a Compact, Jr.

First, I need to get a different tow vehicle - I'm sure my 4 cyclinder Vue just won't do.

I love the posts of the fixer ups and modifications.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 AM   #84

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Registry
Thanks for the measurement last night, and for offering to check it loaded - very valuable information.

Since I just figured out how to adjust my photos, here's what my rig is looking like...more pics after our trip this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Cape_Hatteras.JPG   Kitchen_Side.JPG  

Wardrobe_Side.JPG  
Phill Roehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 AM   #85

Trailer: Compact Jr
Quote:
I am so jealous - I have decided that I really, really want a Compact, Jr.

First, I need to get a different tow vehicle - I'm sure my 4 cyclinder Vue just won't do.

I love the posts of the fixer ups and modifications.
My sister tows hers with a PT Cruiser. Seems to work well enough. Hers weighs about 1600 pounds.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #86

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Phill,
Great looking interior. Have you had any problem with roof sag after removing the support wall between the "kitchen" and the "living room"?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #87

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Registry
Thanks Tom.

The lower roof does sag a little since I took out that bulkhead and the kitchen surround - about 3/4 of an inch midspan.

I think I have a fix, just waiting for winter to do it. I had replaced the exterior wood backers for the lift-top hinges in two segments (front hinge and back), as it was originally. I'm going to replace these with one continuous piece of 1 by 3 oak, then try to lift the sag of the lower roof and secure it to the long piece to carry the load back to the stiffer front and back corners.
Phill Roehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #88

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Quote:
My sister tows hers with a PT Cruiser. Seems to work well enough. Hers weighs about 1600 pounds.
I believe my owners manual says I can only tow 1,500 pounds - I will have to double check it though. And, that is loaded weight.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:06 PM   #89

Registry
Quote:
I believe my owners manual says I can only tow 1,500 pounds - I will have to double check it though. And, that is loaded weight.
I tow our JR with a PT Cruiser also and have no problems. I did put a trans cooler on the car and have done some work with the engine but that is it. I wouldn't want to tow the trailer in a wind storm. I bought the trailer from a lady who lived in Long Island NY and I had to tow it from Long Island NY to Niagara Falls NY by way of New York City, about 500 miles I don't think I will do that again.
Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:20 PM   #90

Talking

[quote]Tom, or anyone,
Can you tell me how the vent cap attaches? From this picture I could guess that it fits over the vent, and the metal tabs get bent through slots in the plastic cap. Is this correct? I will be off to an RV surplus place to find a couple parts. I have no vent cap to compare it with.

Thank you,
Cliff

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Cliff--- here is how mine is attached-- I think it is a replacement for the original. I was at the local RV store today, and a cover is about $14, and the base about the same (But the base is plastic). The picture is a little out of perspective... The cover is 24" long.
Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0514__Small_.JPG  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #91

Quote:
Cliff--- here is how mine is attached-- I think it is a replacement for the original. I was at the local RV store today, and a cover is about $14, and the base about the same (But the base is plastic). The picture is a little out of perspective... The cover is 24" long.
Larry
Thank you Larry,
I get it now. The tabs bend over the top lip of the plastic cover. I would be afraid that it would come loose and get blown off. I went to an RV surplus to try and find one, but nothing in the inventory that I could find which is suprising for this place.

Just for entertainment, here are some pictures of my shopping event today. Mostly notes to myself to remember what was there.
RV Surplus Shopping Today

I may try to come up with something home made when the time comes. I have all the windows, doors, and accessories off the shell now. Leaving the bolts of the floor for last, until I decide how, and where I am going to paint it. Then unbolt the shell, and rework the frame. I will look for a supplier for the type paint you used. I also want to look at alternatives for spray applications. I wonder if auto body paint will work.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 11:54 PM   #92

Talking

Quote:
Thank you Larry,

Just for entertainment, here are some pictures of my shopping event today.
I will look for a supplier for the type paint you used. I also want to look at alternatives for spray applications. I wonder if auto body paint will work.
Cliff---- DUDE!!!!!!! What a place!!!! I would be like a Hog Wallowing in Mud there....
Interlux can be sprayed. It can be found at places like Boating World or any place that deals with Boat type people.
I made a little more progress today, welded the boomper on and the rear stabilizers. getting down to the wire, Carrie wants it home NLT Tuesday (prob Monday) to pack to leave on WED. Am I gonna make it?
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0508__Small_.JPG   SANY0511__Small_.JPG  

SANY0510__Small_.JPG  
Old 09-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #93

Trailer: 81 Perris Pacer / 72 Jeep CJ
Quote:
[b]RV Surplus Shopping Today
That's funny stuff shopping the RV Surplus. That what my hubby describes when he heads out to look for parts. I'm still laughing. Cliff, I have to say, I'm very impressed with your diligence. You are on it & way ahead of us. Of course, I'm tag teaming two eggs and getting the Pacer fixed & home has been my focus this week. I'm very, very impressed with Phill's CJ. What an inspiration to think that mine could possible look like that someday. Sounds like yours will be pretty close to done for the Casitas Rally. I've told Hubby how a guy in LB got a yellow CJ the same week we did, can't wait to see how yours comes out.
Eve V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #94

Quote:
...snip...Sounds like yours will be pretty close to done for the Casitas Rally. I've told Hubby how a guy in LB got a yellow CJ the same week we did, can't wait to see how yours comes out.
Eve,
Sorry to disappoint you, but I try not to break my back to meet any deadlines. Although, I am buzzing along... disassembly is easy... I may not have it ready for the Casitas rally. I do have a trailer to camp in. In fact we are going camping end of month to Spamboree. So one more weekend less to work on the CJ.

I have not posted any tear down pics, because it looks just like Larry's project. I will take more pictures of the build up, if I have something to contrast.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:41 PM   #95

Talking

And the beat goes on..... Carrie (AKA "the Wench", "Ms Right"-first name ALWAYS, & various other names) says it has to be in the driveway MON nit to pack & prep.... Think we're gonna make it. Door went in , side vent door-(old fridge vent- now pantry vent) and vent stack, & various other small things last nite. Today was both roof vents, then roof itself (had to make a few modifications where I screwed up 'glassing roof arches in oh well - chop saw works good). Then the adventure- new canvas that I hadn't tried since Tijuana Tony dropped it off in July-- he's now South for the winter (about a 60 hour drive South of here-hard to call to alter). Fits tho- just took a little stretching and ingenuety-- couple extra holes, tho- won't tell you where they are. Shelves are in and support brackets installed--- look pretty good if I say so myself... And lots of "Oh Yeah, that needs to be finished". All in all a busy day-- if it wasn't for my friend Mike, it would have been next year, not next week. Of course, he also has an ulterior motive, he gets to use it this hunting season..... As I'm writing this, I take breaks to go to kitchen for coffee and on the way by, stop to oil the new cutting board.. Next task yet tonite is to sew up a couple pillow cases to match the curtains I made. Better get busy. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0515__Small_.JPG   SANY0516__Small_.JPG  

SANY0518__Small_.JPG   SANY0520__Small_.JPG  

SANY0522__Small_.JPG   SANY0517__Small_.JPG  

Old 09-21-2008, 12:09 AM   #96

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
My VERY curious, where is this surplus yard that you went to Cliff? It looks like HEAVEN for hunting for parts! And my folks don't live too far from Ontario, so I'm sure my dad and I could drive down and have fun hunting for stuff there...
Thanks! Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #97

Go Larry, Go Larry, Go Larry! Looks good. I promise not to ask any questions until you get back from your trip.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 AM   #98

Quote:
My VERY curious, where is this surplus yard that you went to Cliff? It looks like HEAVEN for hunting for parts! And my folks don't live too far from Ontario, so I'm sure my dad and I could drive down and have fun hunting for stuff there...
Thanks! Joe
Ahhh! That's a secret, and I am not telling! Just kidding, I will PM you.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #99

Talking

It emerged!!!!!! Going home to get packed. Many final moments of trials and tribulation getting the bugs worked out---- (little things like a couple propane leaks---- -- nothing serious) Hitting the road tommorrow Meeting Brandy for coffee in the morning-- so us procrastinaters have a deadline. Larry
Attached Thumbnails
SANY0523__Small_.JPG   SANY0525__Small_.JPG  

SANY0524__Small_.JPG  
Old 09-23-2008, 04:36 PM   #100

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Congratulations. Looks great!
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote