I hate my dometic fridge, replace? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 2015
Alabama
sorry, my mistake...wrong thread. I thought you were talking about the AC not the fridge.
Bob and Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:35 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
This guy had the same problem (poor performance on propane) with the same fridge.... and he solved it...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f83/dome...ed-130565.html
I checked out the link you gave and indeed using a 10x loup I could see metal shavings in the jet. Alcohol didn’t remove them so I used a nylon paint brush bristle. Looks good, testing now.
Do you know about adding a small fan to get better airflow over the outside fins? Seems the pressure might mess up the flow in the flue.
Scott Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:09 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Normally it works as well or better on propane so the obvious conclusion is that there is a problem with the propane function. The propane function does require more maintenance then the electric option and it is more subject to problems when that maintenance is not done. If you dont want to go with a compressor fridge (i.e. Danfoss / Secop) then maintenance is likely the solution - both for the fridge and the entire propane system (regulator, aging pipes, etc). Lots of guides online for absorption fridge and propane system maintenance.

There is also the possibility of a bad installation, but if the operation on electric is satisfactory then maybe that is ruled out. Other techniques such as adding fans to the vent area, or in the food compartment, or adding insulation, would also tend to help both the electric and gas operation but not one exclusively.
Thank You for the advice.
I have done some maintenance and am testing. Considering a fan over the outside cooling fins but concerned it will change the flow of air up the flue.
Thoughts?
Scott Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:47 AM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Earl View Post
Thank You for the advice.
I... Considering a fan over the outside cooling fins but concerned it will change the flow of air up the flue.
Thoughts?
Hot air rises.. it comes in the lower vent and goes out the upper vent. Your fan should be mounted to assist in that air flow and not work against it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #25

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Thumbs up

I just added a fan to the top of the frig compartment a few weeks ago (RM2612). I was boondocking for over a week with temps in the 90's and hitting as high as 110 (not in shade). Fridge never got above 50 and usually stayed at 40. I would estimate the fan bought me 10 degrees cooler

Having a clean (orifice, burner, flue) properly functioning (LP pressure, thermister resistance, etc.) frig is also key.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #26

Name: Stu
Trailer: 2003 21RB Bigfoot
Coos Bay, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Earl View Post
Thank YOU to the many who offered suggestions. I will work on it a bit and let you know what happens.

I seem to recall that someone a long time back had ideas on how to keep the propane on while driving. Mine always goes out.
Typically shouldn't blow out. Sounds like you might have a weak flame that can be caused by dirty/clogged orifice or burner. Also check LP pressure. Flame should be a solid blue with very little to no orange color.
South Coast Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:16 PM   #27

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On my 1986 Scamp 13, Scamp made the ducting for the fridge to vent out the side of the trailer out of off cuts of fiberglass and duct tape. When I bought my trailer used that ducting system was a house of cards falling apart. I used metal flashing tape, the aluminium foil kind, and reassembled the house of cards. this rebuilding got the hot gases going out the side of the trailer properly. this helped the fridge work properly and stopped heating up the cabinet the fridge is mounted in. I had to pull the stove top to gain access to the rebuild effort.
metal duct tape sticks extremely well. I also re taped the divider between the fridge and the under sink space. Probably helped in getting exhaust emissions out of the trailer too.

I also mounted a computer muffin fan blowing up from the lower coils forcing cooler air in and out the upper vent. Zip ties work wonders here.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #28

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Any thoughts of replacing the small 3-way fridge in a 16ft layout 4 with the larger 4 cu ft fridge with mini freezer? Have any of you done this?
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge