I hate my dometic fridge, replace? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 06:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Angry I hate my dometic fridge, replace?

I want to replace my Dometic RM 2193 fridge in my 15 year old Scamp. Works fair on 110v but poor on propane. I have tried lots of fixes but am not happy. Is there another brand? (No, I don't think I want to go compressor.)
Scott Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Normally it works as well or better on propane so the obvious conclusion is that there is a problem with the propane function. The propane function does require more maintenance then the electric option and it is more subject to problems when that maintenance is not done. If you dont want to go with a compressor fridge (i.e. Danfoss / Secop) then maintenance is likely the solution - both for the fridge and the entire propane system (regulator, aging pipes, etc). Lots of guides online for absorption fridge and propane system maintenance.

There is also the possibility of a bad installation, but if the operation on electric is satisfactory then maybe that is ruled out. Other techniques such as adding fans to the vent area, or in the food compartment, or adding insulation, would also tend to help both the electric and gas operation but not one exclusively.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
scott, i know you said you didn't want to go to a compressor fridge, however after years of trying to make the dometic behave like a fridge i tossed it and replaced with a norcold unit that has the brushless compressor (12v/120v) and was sorry i hadn't done it sooner. it really works great and is very efficient. a total cure for the fridge anxiety.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
My 10 year old 2193 works well on propane. Better than most because it doesn't have a freezer. Check the orifice with a magnifying glass. A small piece of dirt is all it takes to degrade operation. That happened to me. Alcohol wouldn't remove it so despite all the warnings to the contrary, I used a piece of fishing line with success. Some use compressed air but if I did that I'd be spending hours hunting for it on the other side of the room.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:00 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
clean the orifice

I removed the propane orifice from the fridge in my 40 year old Boler 17 and examined it with a magnifying glass. It was partially blocked. I soaked in alcohol, swished it around, then re-examined and found that it was completely clean and unblocked. The result? In propane mode, the fridge went from not cooling at all to working as well or better in propane mode compared to 110 vac model. Try it.

Also according to many other accounts AND the owner's manual:

- clean the burner
- clean the flue

You may also need to check that the propane line PSI is adequate at the fridge.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
After years of struggling with a Domestic "fridge" I upgraded to an Engel 12/120v real refrigerator that I run off my solar setup. I'd never go back and since they cost about the same, i don't see why more don't come with them from the factory.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
Raz

"i don't see why more don't come with them from the factory."

Actually that seems to be the trend as compressor fridges are easier to install. When I bought my Trillium, a compressor fridge was standard. I paid extra for the 3 way. The reason is simple. Here in the northeast the public campgrounds, where I like to camp, have no hook ups and the sites are typically in the shade i.e. no sun. My propane fridge runs all season on one tank with no electricity needed. Also, it never gets really hot here
Old 09-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
MB
Hi. As far as I know (and someone correct if I'm wrong) the only other brand of absorption fridge is Norcold, which was bought by Dometic serveral years back. I too have had issues with our fridge which is 3 years old and is maintained. The trailer is 4 years old and on it's 3rd fridge, all replaced on Dometic's warranty. It was not an issue with the trailer, Dometic tried to blame Scamp. Dometic was a nightmare to deal with and in the end Scamp came to my rescue and replaced the fridge twice, which they did not have to do. So if and when this fridge quits I will be replacing it with a compressor fridge. As far as I'm concerned there really is no better option.
Mike255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:19 PM   #9

North Carolina
Ifyou have adequate electric power available, then a compressor fridge is always better than an absorption fridge.

As you can see.. thats a big "if."

PS... a Danfoss / Secop compressor type fridge that runs on 120 VAC AND 12 VDC is the best current option in compressor type RV fridges.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
My 10 year old 2193 works well on propane. Better than most because it doesn't have a freezer. Check the orifice with a magnifying glass. A small piece of dirt is all it takes to degrade operation. That happened to me. Alcohol wouldn't remove it so despite all the warnings to the contrary, I used a piece of fishing line with success. Some use compressed air but if I did that I'd be spending hours hunting for it on the other side of the room.
you must fish for small fish.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:22 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Earl View Post
I want to replace my Dometic RM 2193 fridge in my 15 year old Scamp. Works fair on 110v but poor on propane. I have tried lots of fixes but am not happy. Is there another brand? (No, I don't think I want to go compressor.)
15 years old could be at the end of its life. But try cleaning it and if you are not completely comfortable taking it apart then have it done at a shop. They can also tell you if it is fixable. We haven't really had any problems with our Dometic fridges. We run them on propane unless we can plug into shore power. We never run them on 12V as that kills your battery fast and does not keep the fridge cold.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:37 AM   #12

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
15 years old could be at the end of its life. ..
Tell that to the 40 year old absorption fridges still in use today. Its not the same as a compressor type that will eventually need at least compressor repair or replacement.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 AM   #13

North Carolina
This guy had the same problem (poor performance on propane) with the same fridge.... and he solved it...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f83/dome...ed-130565.html
Old 09-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #14
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
you must fish for small fish.
Sardines
Old 09-19-2020, 09:40 PM   #15

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Tell that to the 40 year old absorption fridges still in use today. Its not the same as a compressor type that will eventually need at least compressor repair or replacement.
Not all appliances are created equal. A lot depends on how the fridge was used, was it kept level when using it or towing it, was it stored in a wet or bad environment, was it serviced, was it kept clean around it, etc. It's just like a car. If you don't change oil and keep things in good shape it will die sooner. I've known all kinds of things that last forever such as the 26 year old gas hot water heater in the home we just purchased that still worked. Some quit after 8-12 years. We had a 1986 Casita and the fridge went bad in 2005. It was bad when we got it in 2005 and had to replace it.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:29 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Wind blowing out the fridge flame

Thank YOU to the many who offered suggestions. I will work on it a bit and let you know what happens.

I seem to recall that someone a long time back had ideas on how to keep the propane on while driving. Mine always goes out.
Scott Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #17

Name: mike
Trailer: biggar
British Columbia
Have a 1977 BIGGAR with the original tedco fridge , cooled down on electric quite quickly , on propane not so much , replaced original pressure regulator ,cleaned burner , still didn't work well , pulled fridge , the inner ceiling panel had a hole for venting but I didn't think it was large enough so i took my 5 " hole saw and expanded it, left fridge upside down for 24 hours as this is an old trick I, had heard about , the freezer now is chilling down within 2 hrs ,24 hrs the fridge itself will freeze if not careful . I have been looking for small solar powered fan to mount on backside of fridge to help move air on hot days but havn't seen one that has a high rating for dependability ,
mike mcbiggar in b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #18

Name: mike
Trailer: biggar
British Columbia
my 1977 Biggar has the original propane electric fridge , cooled on electric no problem , Propane it took forever and struggled to stay cool , replaced propae regulator cleaned burner still the craps , pulled fridge , inner roof panel had a vent hole cut but I took my 5"hole saw and punched a couple more , left fridge upside down for 24 hours as Iheard this is an old trick to get them going again , the freezer is now frozen within 4 hrs, 24 hrs the fridge itself will freeze if I don't turn it down, I figure to much heat was getting trapped , works fantastic for it's age .
mike mcbiggar in b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 2015
Alabama
Scamp AC

We have a 2015 Scamp. Instead of the loud and no thermostat rooftop AC, we installed a mini-split air conditioner. It works great! We have the outside unit mounted on the front. We lost the cabinet over the dining table to the inside unit but it is well worth the loss.
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini split inside.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	137611

Click image for larger version

Name:	mini split outside.png
Views:	12
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	137612
Bob and Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp 2015
Alabama
install a mini split air conditioner instead of repairing the roof top.
Bob and Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge