I need advice on a propane regulator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 84 Burro 13 ft
I need advice on a propane regulator

I am trying to hook up a 5lb propane tank to a two burner cooktop. I bought a 3 foot stainless covered hose from Blackstone which is made for a 20 lb tank. It has a built in regulator. If I can use it, it is the perfect length to go through the front wall and into the cooktop
My dilemma is that I have read that for regulatory reasons a two stage regulator is required on travel trailers. Since I have no furnace I am not sure it applies. I seldom use the indoor cooktop the 5lb is more than adequate so I don't want to go to a larger size. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. This is for my 86 Cadet Covid sanity project. Thanks in advance.
Rusty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Play safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty01 View Post
I am trying to hook up a 5lb propane tank to a two burner cooktop. I bought a 3 foot stainless covered hose from Blackstone which is made for a 20 lb tank. It has a built in regulator. If I can use it, it is the perfect length to go through the front wall and into the cooktop
My dilemma is that I have read that for regulatory reasons a two stage regulator is required on travel trailers. Since I have no furnace I am not sure it applies. I seldom use the indoor cooktop the 5lb is more than adequate so I don't want to go to a larger size. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated. This is for my 86 Cadet Covid sanity project. Thanks in advance.
Hope this helps:
We have a 78 boler, I do not know the gas rules but do feel you have to follow the lowest common denominator. That means following the rules of every state and every province and territory; you will want to travel after all.
The standard outside trailer regulator is not expensive and they make a unit that will auto switch from empty tank to full tank in two tank setup.
Our trailer has a 42 year old fridge, 4 burner stove with oven, new replacement hot water tank and furnace so our need is different.
You could setup two 5 lb tanks on the tongue the Kool factor would be great. Maybe add a furnace in the future as well? We camp in Canada so think northern US and Canada have seen freak snow storm in Aug and -48c / -54.4f. Winter camping can be a lot of fun have used tent at -48c as daytime highs with two small children and had a lot of fun. Trailer with furnace would have made it a little better
Do know that you can not have tank inside an enclosed trailer or any spliced joints splits etc. inside (above floor) as well; at least in our area. You could get a gas trailer tech to help, your Blackstone regulator outside at tank and through wall may be legal; but you will have a hole maybe go through lower skirt and up through floor to the two burner cooktop remember to use gas tape at threads inside. We have had work done. Do it your self is legal as long as you meet the regulations.
Had a problem getting anyone to help us due to the age of our unit, but your looking at a clean install; all new great opportunity! Kool factor Go for it and play safe.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
My trailer carries two 20 lb propane tanks on the tongue. I also have several 5 lb and 10 lb tanks that I use for portable BBQs etc. I have used these smaller tanks as backup for my trailer. They use the same fittings as the 20 lb tanks.
Propane cylinders should never be stored inside a building, trailer or any other containment unless it is specially ventilated for this purpose.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane