I painted my Boler today - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300
Well I painter my boler 'THE TANK' today. Just the first coat, and WOW what a difference.

I used an industrial paint from ICI paint called DEVOE COATINGS . It was 56.99 a gallon. Since I deal abit with ICI in the past, I know they are always willing to go down on their marked price. I ended up getting it for 37.99 a gallon, so I got 2 gallons.

I would recommend this paint to anyone thinking of painting the outside of their boler. It is VERY easy to work with and by using a foam roller it looks like it was sprayed on.

The paint dries with a high gloss and is very durable. It is designed to be used on heavy metal machinery, but can be layed on almost any type of surface, fiberglass, concrete, drywall...etc.

Here are a couple of websites about the paint;
http://www.devoecoatings.com/home.jsp
www.icipaints.com

Take a look at my photos and you can see the shine to it after just one coat.

Happy Bolering.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boler37.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	8074
Attached Thumbnails
Boler38.jpg  
Jayson Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Jason,
Looking good!
Choosing an "industrial" paint should add to the longevity of your Boler's finish.
Thanks for sharing pictures and information.

Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 10:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Hi Jason (from a displaced Winnipegite, LOL) we had our Trillium's exterior professionally 'splashed' and learned too late that when we 'hand painted' the innerds, we should have used a foam roller....

We instead used a short knapped 'lint free' sleeve and found the results looked a little like a series of small waves (ripples) on a pond. (much like at Falcon Lake, LOL)

Thanks for posting this info!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:50 PM   #4

here is my boler with its rd and final coat of paint on iy.

i am really happy with the results and look.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boler40.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	8138
Attached Thumbnails
Boler39.jpg  
Old 06-05-2007, 03:44 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
That looks awesome, Jayson.
Did you roller it where it sits or in the garage?
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Shiny - we like Shiny!!
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: I am "GREEN" with envy over the shine
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Can you please tell me what exact type of paint you bought??

Did you use any primer? How do you think it will be for removing stains? We have these darn black streaks on our trailer that I CANNOT get off and I HATE them... I will re-paint with a toothbrush I am so ticked at the way ours turned out!!!!

Did you paint it outside or in a garage??
I love the shine...2 coats????
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Can you please tell me what exact type of paint you bought??

Did you use any primer? How do you think it will be for removing stains? We have these darn black streaks on our trailer that I CANNOT get off and I HATE them... I will re-paint with a toothbrush I am so ticked at the way ours turned out!!!!

Did you paint it outside or in a garage??
I love the shine...2 coats????
I bought my paint from ICI Paints in Winnipeg. I'm sure there must be a location in your area. I know they are in Calgary and Edmonton, so they must be in the south western part of BC as well.

The paint is called:
ICI DEVOE COATINGS
DEVGUARD 4308
ALKYD INDUSTRIAL GLOSS ENAMEL
DEEP BASE.

I did not use a primer, but I did sanded down my boler with 40, then 80 and finally with 120 grit sandpaper.

I just painted it in my driveway. Bugs love new paint, but if you wait a day the bugs simply just brush right off without really leaving a mark.

I gave the boler 3 coats of paint. It says to wait overnight before you can re-coat, but I waited 2 days between coats. I really wanted the coat to cure.

If you have black coming through, I would recommend a primer. ICI has a primer called "GRIPPER". This stuff is awsome. It will cover anything, and it will stick like glue for ever!!

For my 3 coats of paint, I used 1.5 gallons of paint. It's priced at $56.99 a gallon here in Winnipeg. Most ICI stores are very flexiable on the price of their paints. I ended up getting it for $37.99 a gallon. So make sure to ask them if they are willing to come down on their price.

Also use a foam roller to apply this paint. You will end up with a streak free finish!

It's been about a month since I painted my boler and I am REALLY HAPPY with the results!! I get a lot of comments on the colour and most people think I had it professionally done. The paint has now fully cured and is rock hard!.

Hope this helps you out.

Happy Bolering!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0324.jpg  
Old 07-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #10

Trailer: 73 Boler 13 ft
Jason. Did you take windows out, hinges ,grills off, etc.? Or just tape everything off? Our Boler has oodles of silicone everywhere, and I'm assuming the paint won't stick to the silicone.It's probably at least an inch out from the edge of the windows and belly band. To take off the belly band, etc. would probably add weeks of work, though.
Thanks for the Canadian source for the paint.
Peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
Thanks for the info--we are going on holidays next week, so I think it will wait a bit before I start to sand.
We used a deck coat stuff originally to paint our trailer--had a bit of texture and I guess I was thinking of the "rhino hide" kind of stuff being really durable etc etc.
It covered well etc but it does not wash properly..I don't know how they expect it to work on decks!! If it did wash I would keep it cause it flexes well etc (we have exterior rivets and we have replaced them all and are leaving them as is) just does not clean up...

I will sand and sand and sand to make this a good job cause I do not want to do it again!!!

Glad you did it outside cause that is where ours will be done too...
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1984
Hi Jayson
Your paint looks great.
I hope you're going to highlight the boler insignia on the back. Those are very hard to come by and in great demand.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Hi Jayson
Your paint looks great.
I hope you're going to highlight the boler insignia on the back. Those are very hard to come by and in great demand.
Oh yes, sometime in the fall I will be taking off the paint of the front and back emblems.

Tags
boler