I pimped out my boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 79 Boler 17 ft
Well, after a year of reading the forums, and encountering virtually every challenge that has been described here, considering all the advice, I have finally finished pimping out my boler. (I had troubles finding classy spinner hubcaps so I just settled for chromed ones)

My daughters (9 and 12) did the graphics layout, and I painted with Interlux brightside. It's not a new-car finish because of some of the brush marks, but I am satisfied. Attached are the before and after pictures.

I wanna thank all the people who provided me so much invaluable information and knowledge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolerbefore.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	9254
Attached Thumbnails
Bolerafter.jpg  
KevinDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Very nice.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
That's fun that you got your daughters involved! Looks like a present waiting to be unwrapped. Did you do any interior mods?
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Wow!

Outstanding!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM   #5

Quote:
That's fun that you got your daughters involved! Looks like a present waiting to be unwrapped. Did you do any interior mods?
Shucks the interior was the first year. We finished it and tried it out last summer before I committed to finishing the outside. It is the most amazing little thing there is, and tows fabulously with my Honda Odyssey (even without weight distribution hitch). The fabulous 70's brown interior was resurfaced with Maple laminate and wood trim. Fantastic fan was installed, stovetop was re-chromed, fridge was taken out shaken and fitted with computer fans to blow more air through the coils, grey water tank was taken out and the cracks were welded, screen door was installed, the rubber seal around the door was replaced with the sliding door seal from a '95 chrysler minivan. A hot water tank was installed so my wife would be happy . Only thing missing now are the florescent lights.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Kevin,
Great job. It looks good! If you are still looking for spinners, did you look at hubcapmike.com?

Tom Trostel
http://www.hubcapmike.com/fiesta_hubcaps.html
Old 08-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Shucks the interior was the first year. We finished it and tried it out last summer before I committed to finishing the outside. It is the most amazing little thing there is, and tows fabulously with my Honda Odyssey (even without weight distribution hitch). The fabulous 70's brown interior was resurfaced with Maple laminate and wood trim. Fantastic fan was installed, stovetop was re-chromed, fridge was taken out shaken and fitted with computer fans to blow more air through the coils, grey water tank was taken out and the cracks were welded, screen door was installed, the rubber seal around the door was replaced with the sliding door seal from a '95 chrysler minivan. A hot water tank was installed so my wife would be happy . Only thing missing now are the florescent lights.
Awesome. Can we have some interior shots please? Sounds like you're forging through the jungle just ahead of me.

Questions:

1) Did you do the graphics with masking-tape and paint or is that a commercial stick-on?

2) Did you get the door seal at a wrecker or did you just order it from a mopar counter?

3) How did you decide on that door seal specifically?

4) Did the door seal take up enough of the gaps at the top/bottom or did you have to do additional surgery to the door?
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:56 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
very nice! i like the awning too. what kind is that?
tracy.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 AM   #9

Name: Christopher
Trailer: 1998 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Oregon
Nice work! It would be nice to see some interior shots.
Sitah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I like it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #11
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Nice work! It would be nice to see some interior shots.
Look here....
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler
Hi,

Can you let me know what kind of paint you used to paint the exterior!

Thanks!
ErinLeighRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #13

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Geez guys, slow down. I don't want to have the blandest looking and least-upgraded B1700 in Alberta!

Looking good, Kevin
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Geez guys, slow down. I don't want to have the blandest looking and least-upgraded B1700 in Alberta!

Looking good, Kevin
Get off your Butt Brian and start doing some mods
Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #15

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arkansas
Registry
Great Job, I love to see people making their campers special!!!. Ruth & Jim
Ruthies Radiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Awesome. Can we have some interior shots please? Sounds like you're forging through the jungle just ahead of me.

Questions:

1) Did you do the graphics with masking-tape and paint or is that a commercial stick-on?

2) Did you get the door seal at a wrecker or did you just order it from a mopar counter?

3) How did you decide on that door seal specifically?

4) Did the door seal take up enough of the gaps at the top/bottom or did you have to do additional surgery to the door?

Herb: Answers to your questions.

Mary F found some interior shots from last year and provided the link I see.

1) I used autobody thin-line striping tape (I think it's called). An autobody supply house will sell you for $12 per roll. I bought 2, only used one. I looked for commercial stickons but the tape and a couple cans of paint were cheaper.

2) Autowrecker for the door seal. $7.00 each. I felt flush so I bought 2 in case i messed up the first time. The trick though is to go to a pick-your-part place. A regular autowrecker who gets the parts for you wanted $45.00.

3) How did I decide on the seal? Well the side door seal on my Brother in-law's '99 chrysler van looked just like the match I needed, but he wasn't too partial to me trying. A ford pickup truck might work. When I went to the wrecker, I couldn't find a '99 minivan but the '95-96 looked close enough and I couldn't go wrong for 7 bucks. So now I pull a Daimler-Boler

4) Door seal is around the door frame. The actual fiberglass door has nothing on it at all. Along the bottom I used some closed cell foam from a lumber store. The problem I had was that the door was loosing it's curve, so the extra thickness and sponginess made up for the gaps. That was last year when I put it on.. This year, the door weakened, so I had to reinforce by bolting onto the inside of the door, from top to bottom a 3/4 inch square aluminum tube that I pre-curved to take up the slack. So far so good.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #17

Quote:
very nice! i like the awning too. what kind is that?
Well, the awning is a long story. Because I am cheap, I got it bequethed to me from my Dad. It is a Norseman awning. Back in the 70's when boogie vans were in vogue, Norseman made a canopy that was encased in an aluminum box that you would clamp onto the gutter of your boogie van. I got rid of the aluminum case, and really ended up with a canopy exactly that you would get if you bought a 10 foot or 12 foot tent trailer. Tent trailers these days can come with canopies that Zip into a nylon bag. I pulled out the sewing machine made a bag from some left over canopy vinyl that my Dad had from a project years ago and bob's your uncle. An exact replica of a modern awning. It comes complete with folding legs and side braces all in that pouch you see in the picture. I then slipped it into the existing awning track. I just finished the screen room a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Get off your Butt Brian and start doing some mods

Hey Chester,

Give Brian a Break. Sometimes car collectors buy collectables and insist on keeping them in their original condition. They think it keeps the value higher than if you restore. Maybe that's Brian's strategy.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
1) I used autobody thin-line striping tape (I think it's called). An autobody supply house will sell you for $12 per roll. I bought 2, only used one. I looked for commercial stickons but the tape and a couple cans of paint were cheaper.
But that implies talent, which I see you have, but which I, sadly, lack. :-)

Quote:
2) Autowrecker for the door seal. $7.00 each. I felt flush so I bought 2 in case i messed up the first time. The trick though is to go to a pick-your-part place. A regular autowrecker who gets the parts for you wanted $45.00.

3) How did I decide on the seal? Well the side door seal on my Brother in-law's '99 chrysler van looked just like the match I needed, but he wasn't too partial to me trying. A ford pickup truck might work. When I went to the wrecker, I couldn't find a '99 minivan but the '95-96 looked close enough and I couldn't go wrong for 7 bucks. So now I pull a Daimler-Boler
That's perfect. I have a small credit at pick-a-part and now I know which 4 acre section to look at.

Quote:
4) Door seal is around the door frame. The actual fiberglass door has nothing on it at all. Along the bottom I used some closed cell foam from a lumber store. The problem I had was that the door was loosing it's curve, so the extra thickness and sponginess made up for the gaps. That was last year when I put it on.. This year, the door weakened, so I had to reinforce by bolting onto the inside of the door, from top to bottom a 3/4 inch square aluminum tube that I pre-curved to take up the slack. So far so good.
I wondered about that plan too. Did you bolt through the door or just screw into the wood (?) core? Doesn't look like there are any bolt heads in the picture so either you covered them with filler or you screwed into the core. I'm worried about whether screws in the core would hold up..

Sorry for all the additional questions.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('ye ole bucket')
I must compliment your two daughters on the design! Looks great!!!!
Christine V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler