I’ve removed the carpet now what - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2020, 08:01 AM   #1

Name: Leigh Ann
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I’ve removed the carpet now what

I have a 70s model Casita 13footer, it’s gutted to the shell, the carpet was beyond repair so it’s been removed. I would like to replace it and I’m not sure where to start looking and what carpeting would be best.
Attached Thumbnails
B1FEC028-D7C6-4B76-937B-0E47C41FA063.jpg  
Leigh Ann Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Ann Y. View Post
I have a 70s model Casita 13footer, it’s gutted to the shell, the carpet was beyond repair so it’s been removed. I would like to replace it and I’m not sure where to start looking and what carpeting would be best.
Actually, you might consider using Reflectix and Ratfur, or maybe Reflectix and Ozite.
Ozite is like half way between carpet and marine fabric, it comes in two patterns and a variety of colors.
It is readily available, cheap, and durable. The non-directional pattern is best to work with.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Watch some videos from the Sailrite company that shows how to install various types of headliner materials. That will help you make up your mind on which type you want to tackle. These are show the installation inside of a boat but the methods are the same so for the most part the videos are still relevant to our fiberglass trailers.

Here is a link from youtube with some of their videos listed on it.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sailright+marine+headliner

I am not going to tell you which method will work the best, you get to decide that for yourself.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #4

Name: Nicolas
Trailer: 1978 Boler
Almonte, Ontario
cutting out the flooring help

I've just added a set of instructions in the document department on how to copy shapes like the floor in an egg like yours. It's called Compound Shape copier. It was written for copying vertical planes (cupboard fronts of bulkheads) but, if you take away the upright supports and just tape the rest of the jig to the floor, it will copy the curvature of the wheel-wells and the curvature of the walls allowing you to cut a piece of linoleum or other flooring to fit.
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #5

Georgia
do you glue the ozite carpet to the reflectix which is glued to the fiberglass?
Old 05-11-2020, 01:25 PM   #6

Georgia
thank you!
Old 05-11-2020, 02:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
We used closed cell foam glued to the fiberglass shell then glued boat hull liner on top of that. The boat hull liner does not retain moisture - I think water will actually flow right through it. You can use velcro to stick stuff to it as well, an added bonus. It resists mold.

We got the foam direct from the manufacturer who is close by. Be sure to use the recommended glue so you don't melt the foam. We used a spray gun which got tossed after the project was finished.

Good luck!
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
You might want to do some research on reflectix and FGRVs. IIRC there are differing views on whether it will work as designed in these trailers. I read a pretty convincing discussion but I can't remember if it was pro or con.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Probably con in this application.
I've read that to be effective, Reflectix needs an air space. If you sandwich it with other materials, it doesn't work.
Old 05-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Probably con in this application.
I've read that to be effective, Reflectix needs an air space. If you sandwich it with other materials, it doesn't work.
I know that per it’s instructions, it should not work, but just like on paper the bee should not be able to fly, I have used a single layer of the Reflectix under marine headliner, and it works (I understand that Scamp uses a double layer)... no more moisture accumulation around the mattress.
Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #11
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Older threads in the Modifications forum have addressed some successes with this:

Pattern or Template for Wall Carpet Liner
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
do you glue the ozite carpet to the reflectix which is glued to the fiberglass?
Yes.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #13

Name: Gigi
Trailer: 1972 Lovebug 1970 Eriba Puck 1991 Mallard Sprinter Class C
Minnesota & Arizona
In looking at the closed cell sheets, approximately 20" x24" as shown in the Sailrite videos, I think this could be an opportunity to cut shapes out if this sheet to create a pattern on the walls. It could be a brick pattern (as in subway tile), hexagon, or even herringbone in the right areas.

This is an edge I used in another sailboat project for seams. It really looks tidy when done.

I tore out the carpet on my sailboat ceiling and spent a lot of time removing glue with now a smooth surface but yellow discoloration. I think I will do a brick pattern. It will be easier to install smaller pieces overhead and create visual interest.

When I get to this in a few months, I'll post photos.

Very interested in your outcome. Based on your nicely done floor, I think it will be great.
Artist Chic is offline   Reply With Quote