Ice Box Redeemed vs Fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Smile Ice Box Redeemed vs Fridge

Just wanted to share my alteration with you on an Ice Box. I mainly Boone Dock so decided against an electric fridge. Have a Dometic gas fridge in my pop-up.The gas fridge was always hard to light and took a long time to get cool. Ended up using it to store pots in. And I do not want to cut vent holes in the uhaul for another one.
So I decided to see how the ice box in my uhaul would work...Well on the Maiden Voyage the ice melted way too fast, after all it's 30 years old. so...
Last week I measured the top back and sides of the box. Then I cut two layers of styrofoam insulation to fit. Then glued the sandwitched foam together and glued it to all sides, top and bottom of the box. Then finished it off by acquiring the silver flex rv insulation (Scrap from rv service man) Glued all with Bathroom shower stall glue in a caulk gun.
Result was: 4 days camping, Still had ice in the box when I got home.
I freeze the large square juice bottles and used 4 of them.
I am happy with this result and just wanted to share with you owners of Ice boxes, they can have redeeming qualities.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Outstanding! I noticed that there is lots of room an all sides of the icebox in the UHaul and my intention was also to add foam insulation until I stumbled onto a 3 way fridge (which I have yet to install).

Just a note on your popup refrigerator - because the side wall is so short, popup refrigerator installations tend to have cooling problems. There is not a good natural convection current to pull air over the fins in back - sort of like a fireplace with a stubby short chimney. You can improve it with baffling or by using a strategically placed 12 volt computer pancake fan. But then, maybe this is all water over the dam.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #3

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Outstanding! I noticed that there is lots of room an all sides of the icebox in the UHaul and my intention was also to add foam insulation until I stumbled onto a 3 way fridge (which I have yet to install).

Just a note on your popup refrigerator - because the side wall is so short, popup refrigerator installations tend to have cooling problems. There is not a good natural convection current to pull air over the fins in back - sort of like a fireplace with a stubby short chimney. You can improve it with baffling or by using a strategically placed 12 volt computer pancake fan. But then, maybe this is all water over the dam.
Yep Tom, it's damed. Still have the pop up and need to fix and sell it. But I still think how much fun it was to be able to sleep a bunch of friends in it, which as you know we can't do in the uhaul. Ahhh a different stage in life's journey.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
But I still think how much fun it was to be able to sleep a bunch of friends in it, which as you know we can't do in the uhaul. Ahhh a different stage in life's journey.
They get to sleep in tents, on the ground. Until they cave and buy a fiberglass RV.....
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #5

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
They get to sleep in tents, on the ground. Until they cave and buy a fiberglass RV.....
Ha! I heard that!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Diane,
I found this to be a great help as I boondock as well. I really like the idea of an icebox and my plan is to replace my old fridge with one. Thanks for sharing.
Kerry
Ker M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Diane,
I just copied your Ice box. I was all set to put in a fridge because most of my camping is done at campgrounds with electric when I take my wife. I really did not want to remove it but I thought I hade no choice I did not think about ading insulation until I read you post THANKS!
Jason
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #8

Name: Astrid
Trailer: U HAUL 1984
Nova Scotia
Hi there we will try this as ours melted as well. So you only put it on 3 sides?? As thats all you could get at.??? Right. Also we have a leaky door. From the top of it. Any ideas.

Astrid
Astrid N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid N View Post
Hi there we will try this as ours melted as well. So you only put it on 3 sides?? As that's all you could get at.??? Right. Also we have a leaky door. From the top of it. Any ideas.

Astrid
I think there is room and access to insulate 5 sides. You may need to temporarily remove the cook top and or / cut some insulation sheets into halves, then re-glue in place.

I decided to move to a refrigerator, but I noted that there is room for a second weather strip just inside of the existing one. My plan was to use an adhesive backed closed cell weatherstrip with a rectangular cross section (available at big box stores).
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #10

I started on my refrigerator install in my UHaul CT today and removed the icebox. My observation is that the insulation is even thinner than I thought it was. So, adding insulation is a very worthwhile move, as Diane has already pointed out.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #11

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
I once saw a KIT to make the Ice Box a propane reefer-never looked further to see a price---MY cassie has a 3 way reefer,the older camper had Ice box ---at that time, I could buy Dry Ice @ Kroger, they NO longer sell it. some welding Co's can get it.
sparky1.in s.Va.
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
I once saw a KIT to make the Ice Box a propane reefer-never looked further to see a price---MY cassie has a 3 way reefer,the older camper had Ice box ---at that time, I could buy Dry Ice @ Kroger, they NO longer sell it. some welding Co's can get it.
sparky1.in s.Va.
You can still get dry ice. Here's a web site that might help.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #13

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
There are 0 Dry Ice suppliers in my area code 434

there are NONE in the entire state of virginia
sparky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #14

Virginia
All Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid N View Post
Hi there we will try this as ours melted as well. So you only put it on 3 sides?? As thats all you could get at.??? Right. Also we have a leaky door. From the top of it. Any ideas.

Astrid
I insulated all sides, top and bottom. I had to cut the foam in two pieces on the right side because it is to difficult to put a whole piece through the opening. Which I had to feed through the opening in the lower bunk compartment. It can be done. Cut all pieces to fit first then glue.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #15

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1 View Post
There are 0 Dry Ice suppliers in my area code 434

there are NONE in the entire state of virginia
I live in Roanoke VA and Kroger sells Dry Ice. Good luck in your quest Sparky.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #16

Virginia
Smile 4 days with Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I started on my refrigerator install in my UHaul CT today and removed the icebox. My observation is that the insulation is even thinner than I thought it was. So, adding insulation is a very worthwhile move, as Diane has already pointed out.

I went camping this week, two days heat was at about 90 degrees and humid. All total 4 days and still had Ice when I got home. Ice has to be solid. A trick is to use salt to freeze water. Look at the ice box the man from Quebec made. I posted the pic in a Thread called "Sightings" This was an interesting approach.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #17

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Thank you for sharing, we have enough space to better insulate our ice box as well. I will add it to my project list.
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
I would have never guessed there were so many non-refridged campers out there!
Good job with the up grade without shelling out more $
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:18 AM   #19

Name: Ollie
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 13'
Virginia
Registry
I've noticed a couple Harris Teeter's in NC that had dry ice in coolers near the checkout. I'll keep an eye out now.
Spent some time yesterday taking the ice box out of our new/old Scamp. For being in a closed box out of sunlight for 21 years, the plastic was impressively yellowed. First order of business has been taking everything apart, washing the plastic and painting it with white plastic paint, then rebuilding the cracked areas around the hinges. The hardware is getting cleaned up and POR-15'ed and stainless screws throughout. Tabitha has started reinforcing those with some aluminum stock. The plastic compartment is glued into the styrofoam box so will try to clean the styro as best as we can, then add additional insulation around it.
I'd prefer the icebox for boondocking and lack of noise, and especially to cut down on weight/maintenance- hopefully it will keep nice and cool
FelixVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #20

Name: Tina
Trailer: Burro
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
\ A trick is to use salt to freeze water.
Is there a certain ratio of salt to water that you use?
Tina in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge