I'm looking for shelving/storage ideas to replace the front end/table area - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #1

Name: Kay
Trailer: 1985 Burro
Maine
I'm looking for shelving/storage ideas to replace the front end/table area

Hi, I'm working on a 13ft Burro camper that I will be fulltiming in.
I'm looking for ideas on how to create storage/shelving thats off the ground in the front half of the camper where a table or bunk beds usually are. (Mine is gutted)

All ideas/photos are much appreciated!
Kblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:35 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
We removed the front bunk and stored all the parts so we can rebuild it if the next owner wants to use them.

I built a countertop across a little more then half the space and installed two HUGE coolers so we can camp for a week or more. (If we can get ice to refresh the coolers)

It's all basically 1/2" plywood, primer, paint and metal brackets.

I plan on adding a string mesh to the right-side to keep things from flying out as we travel.

It gives us a lot more room for food prep, dish drying and storing things as we're camping.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7916.jpg   IMG_7917.jpg  

IMG_7918.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblue View Post
Hi, I'm working on a 13ft Burro camper that I will be fulltiming in.
I'm looking for ideas on how to create storage/shelving thats off the ground in the front half of the camper where a table or bunk beds usually are. (Mine is gutted)

All ideas/photos are much appreciated!
Hi: Kblue... IKEA is a friend of mine. They're #1 for small space storage!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 10:51 AM   #4

Maine
Oh that looks great! Giving yourself more counter space is smart- and I was wondering where I was going to keep a cooler.

I guess I should also ask how do you install without putting screws into the fiberglass siding?
Old 09-23-2022, 11:06 AM   #5

Massachusetts
The lower shelf is screwed-in to the wood support structure that was used to hold the lower fiberglass part of the seat all the way around. That holds it in really well.

The upper part under the countertop is bolted to the upper wooden part that used to support the upper bunk in two places. It's also bolted to the steel support bar at the left-edge of the door opening with a 90-degree metal bracket.

So no screws/bolts through the fiberglass at all.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7916_1.jpg  
Old 09-24-2022, 04:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Cooler looks great there ---- but---- I have the same cooler, empty it's not too bad but put ice and food in it, I can hardly lift the thing to get it in my SUV.
Is this cooler on a pull out tray?
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:58 AM   #7

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Cooler looks great there ---- but---- I have the same cooler, empty it's not too bad but put ice and food in it, I can hardly lift the thing to get it in my SUV.
Is this cooler on a pull out tray?
Yes the center cooler is on a structure with two heavy-duty drawer slides so it never leaves the camper.

After learning my lesson from the first test drive full of water, I now have steel locking pins that keep it from breaking the 3D-printed clips I made, rolling out and jumping up and down on the drawer slides, bending them out of shape. (That cost me $60)

I also made some tubes that go outside the camper through the front floor and end in valves so I can drain the water from the coolers without taking them out of the camper.

So, they never leave and I never have to left them, full or empty.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:30 AM   #8

Maine
What cooler is it?
Old 09-24-2022, 11:26 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblue View Post
What cooler is it?
Mine were Nurxiovo brand 75 quart coolers from Amazon, but there are at least 3 other identical versions with different branding. Mine were US$250 each

This one looks pretty similar.

https://www.amazon.com/EchoSmile-Rot...f-a2c47c48c32f

Tags
vin