Important new Modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Important new Modification

The folks at Scamp chose to use a clear vinyl drain hose for the bathroom sink in our 2014 Scamp 13. Seems a good choice for making the complicated bends required to get the toothpaste, etc. to the pump feeding the grey water tank. But my DW complained about the mold, mildew, scum, filth, etc. clinging to the inside or the clear hose. I didn't really see this as a problem but immediately sprang into action upon hearing her disgust. Now a sensible solution would be to access the chemical shelf at my local retailer, add a brush or two and some good old fashioned elbow grease. Surely the vinyl could be brought back to crystal clear. But, calling on a skill I am not often known for (thinking ahead) I wondered how often I would need to repeat the cleanse. Not recalling any other clear drain pipes in my house or anywhere I decided to take an easier and more lasting course. Why not install an opaque drain pipe? Yet replacing the hose felt like too much work for martial harmony's sake. So I engineered a easier and better way. You can see from the attached picture the complicated, expensive and hopefully permanent solution I tried. That handy aluminum tape sold in RV stores, Amazon, etc. seemed the perfect, if Rube Goldberg, solution. After several months of use and extensive examination and testing it seems to be working quite well and my DW no longer mentions the foul sight. Harmony restored Scamping has returned to bliss.

Happy Camping, john
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Sink Drain Pipe.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you had used insulated tape then you could claim it was not for appearance, but for freeze protection!
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Thats hilarious, whatever works!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Whatever is easiest and works. Reminds me of a story I heard long ago. Seems a lady came into a paint store wanting them to match the color of a paint chip she brought with her. They tried several times while she waited and could just not get it close enough to please her. The manager told her that instead of her continuing to wait to just come back the next day and they would have the perfect match when she returned. As promised, the next day they presented her with fresh paint a perfect match to the chip. She bought the paint and left happy. Hoping to learn a trick of the trade a newbie employee not involved with the project asked the manager how he ever got the paint to match the chip. The manager replied: “I painted the chip”.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote