Inexpensive LED lights from IKEA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Boler and 17 ft Boler
Inexpensive LED lights from IKEA

I heard about these the other day so I decided to buy a set and attach directly to my 12 volt system. They passed the test so the little trailer will be getting a few. The 17 footer will get about 21 ft. of them.

For those who use shorepower you can leave the transformer on if you like this type of lighting.

LEDBERG Light strip - IKEA

kevin61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Interesting, can you join more that 3 strips together? Are they adhesive backed?

Also, I just recently posted a thread with very cheap LED bulbs that I found on ebay, I posted a small review, they are nice and bright and only cost about $4.00 a piece shipped but I don't have a meter to see what they draw, but I'm sure it's pretty low as well.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Thanks Kevin, good info.Where can you get these in the US ?
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #4

Ohio
Registry
Tim, we have IKEA in the US.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...?query=ledberg

They are $14.99 in the US.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #5

these come with little clips but I'm sure they could be glued in place. For these particular lights you can only attach the three pieces. I believe they have other higher priced lights that can make longer strings.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Tim, we have IKEA in the US.

LEDBERG Light strip - IKEA

They are $14.99 in the US.
Thankyou
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
just a great and most helpful post Kevin. thanks for taking the time to do this. as i have a very similar project in mind and all the parts for (just need to find 2 minutes to rub together!).

i bought the two reading lights ($9.99) and the one flat long one about 22-24" from Ikea too. I also picked up two LED rope lights from Target. they are 15' (yes thats FEET) long but were only $9.99 each! not sure how they add up to Ikea's LEDs in terms of quality - but i have a very similar plan. i found some small plastic gutter that i will be cutting / ripping (length-wise) in half, so it will turn from one square piece, into two U-shaped pieces. then mounting the u-shaped pieces with the open side up 'near' the ceiling with a few inches of clearance overhead and running the LEDs starting from the front and running the perimeter of the interior, terminating into the closet where our electrical is handily located. soffit lighting! i will wall mount several other LEDs for cooking and reading, but this will give a really elegant glow and be nice for dinner inside or relaxing to a movie. the lights cost $20, the plastic channel was $16, once mounted we will either match paint with the interior or even use some kind of razor thin wood veneer. the utility of this project will also offer me a handy channel to run wiring for future projects without having to cut into the wall or ceiling insulation, so its a win-win.

your test and resulting information really helps me with my planning. thanks again for this great post Kevin!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:38 AM   #8

Glad to hear my post has been helpful. I plan to devise some type of bounce lighting as well and will check out Home Depot for possible solutions as per your "gutter" suggestion.

I just ordered these today for wet locations such as the shower, outside and in the range hood vent. Not sure if they are warm white or cool white but for the price I will take a chance.

3 METRE BOAT FISHING LED LIGHTS WHITE WATERPROOF 12volt | eBay

NOTE: the price is in British Pounds.
As of today 1 GBP = $1.57 Canadian or $1.63 US
Old 08-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #9

Registry
those are really nice looking Kevin. i forgot to mention the LED rope i got was from the garden section and also enclosed in a waterproof casing. with 30' of lights i'll have some extra i can cut off or run the extra lights right through the kitchen / bathroom wall and light the bathroom as well. since they are sold as waterproof ... we shall soon find out!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:30 AM   #10

We don't have any Target stores here yet in my part of Canada but I will have a look at other stores as they may have a similar item as the rope lights.

I notice they are described as electric on the Target website. Do they have a transformer for 12 volt or are they just 110 AC?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin61 View Post
We don't have any Target stores here yet in my part of Canada but I will have a look at other stores as they may have a similar item as the rope lights.
yeah, shouldn't be too hard to find. i think they ship if that helps any:
Home Rope String Lights - Clear (15') : Target
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2011-08-04 at 8.41.56 AM.png  
Old 08-04-2011, 10:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Send a message via MSN to Bill Reilly
LED Lighting

Kevin

Thanks for the great post on the IKEA lights. I'll certainly pick some up for one or more of the units I'm currently working on.

I found your battery monitor interesting. Could I ask what model it is and where you purchased it. I'm thinking of going all electric in my latest aquisiton and will need similiar device.

Perhaps other members could make suggestions re battery monitors as well.

Bill Reilly
Picton, Ontario
Bill Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #13

The monitor is a Xantrex XBM. It has been replaced with this model I believe.

Battery Chargers | LinkLITE Battery Monitor | Xantrex

You will have to Google a supplier as the place I purchased mine closed down. I did manage to get a new XBM from eBay for the 17 ft. trailer I am working on for about $150. I think my Youtube channel will have videos of the monitor in action

‪kevinhenry61's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

I remove the monitor from the trailer in the winter as the screen may freeze.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #14

Ohio
Registry
I tried to mount rope lights around the interior using stick on hooks (same ones from wlamart but mine were 30 footers 14.99), I don't think I let the adhesive on the hooks cure long enough and most of them came loose, but the problem was I had to place the hooks and rope lights at the same time due to fitment issues. Here is a picture from when they were up, it looked great until the following morning, then I spent 4 hours with plastic scrapers and goo gone to remove the adhesive patches stuck to the roof and walls.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #15

Registry
i remember this beautiful mod! i wanted to do the same thing when i had my UHaul as a result of these photos, but i could never figure out how you got the lights to stay. sorry to hear they gave you trouble.

with my Play Pac, i will essentially do what you have done but lay the lights inside the channel that i will mount and glue to the wall so i will bypass fixing the actual lights themselves to anything. they can even just lay in there loose.

we are heading back to IKEA this weekend for more lights.
lets keep Kevin's useful thread going and updated with our LED projects!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #16

Ohio
Registry
If I had let the adhesive on the hooks cure for a couple days I think it would have worked fine, I attached the rope itself using the tiny white wire ties around each hook. It was difficult to place the hooks where they needed to be without the rope light being up to keep things tight and where I wanted them. Just a word of warning if anyone wanted to try this method, let the adhesive on those hooks cure like the directions say, LOL.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks for sharing Kevin. Great work. Do you have any photos of them mounted?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #18

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
I see a trip to Ikea in the near future for us as well.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #19

Ohio
Registry
You can buy online at IKEA. Shipping probably less than gas for most people.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #20

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
You can buy online at IKEA. Shipping probably less than gas for most people.
In lookint at the cataloge online I see that they carry several other led fixtures as well. What they don't say is if they are 12v or not. When I go down ill get to ay with them and will report back.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights