Inside material...replacement for rat fur? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Name: Christyn
Trailer: Aliner
Illinois
Inside material...replacement for rat fur?

Just wondering if anyone has used anything to cover or replace the carpet-interior of their trailer? I hate the rat fur...a lot and have been trying to think of alternatives. I believe some of the old bolers I've seen have no interior lining, is it just fiberglass exposed?
Anyway, if anyone knows of any creative interior treatments for the walls I'd love to see them!
Christyn Midwestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
The first 40 Boler's did have just the exposed fiberglass walls but all were recalled to have ensolite installed, but I have seen 2 1968 Boler's that never made it back to the factory for the recall. Also the first 10 were supposed to be prototypes that were supposed to have been destroyed, but I have seen 2 with serial numbers within the first 10.

My complete custom 1971 Boler right now has reflectix insulation and have been looking for something to cover it with. Look at my gallery pics to see where I have it now.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Inside material...replacement for rat fur?

Fiberglass needs some kind of lining. Condensation is the big reason that prompted the retrofit of early Bolers. Insulation, light (plain fiberglass is translucent), and sound are others.

In the early years they used Ensolite, a trade name for a closed cell foam product with a textured vinyl layer on top. You'll hear it called "elephant hide" sometimes. It's no longer made, though plain closed cell foam is still available.

Today Casita uses foam-backed carpet, Scamp uses marine hull liner ("rat fur") over foil bubble insulation. I'm not sure exactly what Escape uses, but it's something kind of like the old Ensolite, with a smooth vinyl surface.

Removing and replacing the shell lining is a huge job you don't want to do. I wouldn't rule any of them out until you have actually experienced them in person. I actually like the rat fur. A lot!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Basically, you learn to live with it.
I have seen at least a half a dozen "Eggs" that the owner stripped out the inside covering, I have seen exactly one that was successfully recovered with anything other than paint. It's not a task for the faint at heart and there is a lot to loose.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I actually like the rat fur. A lot!
I like it too Jon. As much as I love Ten Forward, there's something about the Scamp rat fur that feel homey.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There's alot of things about my Scamp I would probably change, but the "rat fur" is NOT one of them. I dont care for the "ensolite"...feels "sticky" to me- and that's the one 'downer' for an Escape for me- and I dont like "carpet" on the walls. And I cant believe anyone would want JUST the fiberglass exposed and painted...yuk

I have to agree with Donna on the "homey/cozy" feel it brings to the interior. A couple of side benefits: It's easy to keep clean and it's an excellent velcro backboard .
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Basically, you learn to live with it.
I have seen at least a half a dozen "Eggs" that the owner stripped out the inside covering, I have seen exactly one that was successfully recovered with anything other than paint. It's not a task for the faint at heart and there is a lot to loose.
Nothing more true has been said on the subject,perhaps you even understated it.
You have to be a three-handed ambidextrous contortionist just to paint the inside, then you better hope the color matches your eyes, 'cause you'll be wearing it for days!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Name: Guy
Trailer: Scamp
Georgia
I gutted the entire rat fur, it was old and stunk. I looked into what I will replace it with both for insulation purposes and moisture resistant. I had a piece of molded polyfoam sent to me glued it (in a small area) it was almost impossible to remove. It comes in different colors and thicknesses. THIS is what I'm replacing my rat fur with, they will send you the foam thicknesses, colors, etc. Than you can decide for yourself. Foam Factory Inc.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
To me it makes more sense to look for a different trailer than to attempt to change the lining, unless it's ruined beyond hope and you have skills and experience in RV rehabbing.

Christyn, you really need to get to a fiberglass egg rally and see some different sizes and styles (and linings) in person. Any chance there? I believe I saw there was one in IL in September.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:35 PM   #10

Illinois
I would so love to go to a rally, I will look for the closest one coming up...I'd love to see all the types in person, it would make such a difference!

Just curious, would a treatment like this work on fiberglass? Would you have to glue it to the shell itself or keep the insulation bubble/foil and glue it over that? Just looks pretty and the curve seems similar I suppose theoretically it could possibly be put over the rat fur as well? I just can't leave things alone I guess Ask my poor husband, this house has been torn apart and put back together!
International Glamping Weekend — Airstream Restoration
Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The Airstream shell is much bigger and doesn't have the sharper compound curves of the FGRV's. And you are adding weight already, and you would have to bolt it through the hull.

I always recommend that newbees use their FGRV's for a complete season before making changes and modifications (other than needed repairs of course). There is a lot to fall in love with and you will want to prioritize your modifications.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #12

Illinois
Bob, extremely sage advice...I have no doubt after using it some time the things you'd like to change will probably shift dramatically!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neauone View Post
THIS is what I'm replacing my rat fur with, they will send you the foam thicknesses, colors, etc. Than you can decide for yourself. Foam Factory Inc.
Guy, did you intend to post a link? I saw a couple of places that might be the one you mention, and they all have lots of different products.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #14

Name: Marijke
Trailer: Biod X2
Alberta
Registry
Hello Christyn (beautiful name you have)
My trailer is insulated with closed cell foam, and upholstered with pleather?? leatherette???that in itself is lined with 1/4" foamrubber. It looks great, insulates well, keeping it clean is a breeze. Maybe you could google it, it is used (was used) in cars etc as well. Good luck! Maybe there's someone who upholsters cars near you, a person like that can point you to the right places.
marijke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:25 AM   #15

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
What I like about the rat fur in my Little Joe is that I can use Velcro backed hooks to temporarily hang things like mirrors, hats, keys, etc.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #16

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Same here with my 13' Scamp. Just be careful if you remove the velcro much. I notice that it can become "fuzzy" around the area if used continuously. So far, we have very lightweight pictures of our kids/grandkids (removed the glass :-)) hung on the walls of our Scamp. Not alot just a couple. Works out VERY well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
What I like about the rat fur in my Little Joe is that I can use Velcro backed hooks to temporarily hang things like mirrors, hats, keys, etc.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:49 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
I struggled with what to replace my old sagging wall covering with, even considering going to bare walls. Going to bare walls would take a lot of work and negate the insulation and aesthetic benefits. I went to a quality marine grade "rat fur" on top of the old foam insulation. I have pictures (before and after) on my post "Bigfoot B13.5 Interior Wall Covering Reno".Looks and smells good, so far. Hopefully good for several years, but any material that will absorb moisture and smells will eventually deteriorate.
John DM is offline   Reply With Quote