Installing a front dinette while retaining bunks, couch and porta-potti in 13' Scamp" - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #61

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Bill,

It has been a while since we have heard from you. Thought maybe you finished all your mods, loaded up and headed out to the Burning Man festival. Pretty sure I recognized you in a couple of photos as the guy in a camouflaged jock, wearing pink cowboy boots, a neon-lit Cat hat, and sparkler pasties.

The only change I have made is to replace the short piece of green hose from the shower drain pump to the gray tank with a piece of clear hose so I can see when the pink antifreeze has passed through the pump. I also put a sliding latch on the porta-potti door to keep it closed. Good luck with your project.

Otherwise, very pleased with the modifications.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #62

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Bill,

Pretty sure I recognized you in a couple of photos as the guy in a camouflaged jock, wearing pink cowboy boots, a neon-lit Cat hat, and sparkler pasties.
Yeah, a bum leg couldn't keep me away! I told that woman several times that wasn't my best side...but, you know how pushy a female photographer can be!

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #63

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Ray-- somewhere on the forum are photos of a porta potty under the cushion area nearest the door, and a table set up in the middle. The table can be laid down flush (putting the bunk base back to normal for sleeping). The right 3rd of the seating covers the porta potty area. Too bad Scamp hasn't designed a layout with that option-- you'd get a 3-in-1 area where the bottom bunk used to be.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 PM   #64

Name: Laura
Trailer: Casita (Formerly a UHaul)
Ohio
Jim, Wow - That is pretty awesome modification. Nice job on creating a multi-purpose "room" in that little egg!
CampingQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #65

Colorado
Registry
Laura,

I am back in wifi country. Thank you for your comments. I hadn’t thought of it as a multi-purpose room, but looking at it again that does have to be the most versatile, multi-function, 2’ x 6’ area of the entire camper. I am playing with an idea for adding one more option to that area, then on to finalizing the plans for a re-do of the kitchen area. The list just never seems to get any shorter!

Jim
Old 10-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #66

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamper Jim View Post
Laura,

I am back in wifi country. Thank you for your comments. I hadn’t thought of it as a multi-purpose room, but looking at it again that does have to be the most versatile, multi-function, 2’ x 6’ area of the entire camper. I am playing with an idea for adding one more option to that area, then on to finalizing the plans for a re-do of the kitchen area. The list just never seems to get any shorter!

Jim
Egad! Jim! You know what that means don't you? Something else for me to attempt to copy! However, it's my fault since I've never had a orginal idea in my life...and have to copy, the best that I can, great ideas like your's!

Bill
Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 PM   #67

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Fantastic! This is just what I want to do with my new Casita 17 I am picking up tomorrow. It has bunks in front and 2 more on the side. When it is me and the 3 little girls, we will use all the bunks and leave the big dinette up all the time. But when it is just me, I would like the big dinette to stay made as my bed. So then I would have 2 gouchos and no table. The seller says the side goucho can not be a dinette because of the wheel well. But maybe the front goucho can be made just like yours! How much would you charge me to do mine? Would you want to do it? Where are you located?
Indiana Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #68

Colorado
Registry
Hi Lynn,

Thank you for your response and congratulations on your new Casita. You probably have it home by now and you can be sure you will have fun with it and the girls.

I am not familiar with the interior layouts of Casitas, but if you post some pics of it, especially the gouchos you are referring to, I can give you a good idea of whether or not the modification looks do-able.

I am in Denver, CO so would probably not work out for me to do it unless you plan to camp in my driveway for 3 weeks! The best thing may be to take it out a couple of times and see what your needs are and then decide what changes you might like to make to it. Check the Casita groups also to see if any mods like that have already been made.

Regards,
Jim
Old 10-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #69

Name: Christian
Trailer: Escape 2017, 17B
Florida
If you are buying new, the dealer should be able to make it like you want it to be completed.

Sent from my C6530N using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Christian in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #70

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Yeah, a bum leg couldn't keep me away! I told that woman several times that wasn't my best side...but, you know how pushy a female photographer can be!

Bill
Jim, I do have another question....

Somewhere in your messages, posted in this thread, you stated that you had installed two "clips" that keep the front dinette table from sliding outward when lowered to form a bunk. Or something like that!

I have attempted to enlarge the photos showing the two clips, but can't get a good enough of a view to determine what kind of clips they might be.

Additional information will be greatly appreciated!

Bill PS: I finished the rewiring today and am about ready to install the seat that covers the Porta-Potty

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp wiring east front.jpg Views: 64 Size: 198.2 KB ID: 90319" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 11-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #71

Colorado
Registry
Wow Bill, you are off to a good start with you modification with that nice white floor, clean electrical wiring and that nice looking sliding tray for the Porta-Potti. I especially like the way you used the split plastic conduit to enclose all the wiring. I just will have to steal that idea and go back and do mine that way. Also, placing the electrical box in that corner makes it a lot more accessible than having to reach back under the sink.

If I understand your question correctly, the brackets (clips) I used are shown on Page 2, message #17, in second photo. Click on the photo to enlarge it and you can see them on the lower part of the H supports just above the enclosed area. They are simply two L brackets upside down that are used to keep the front of the table from tipping down when you use the bench. It tips down because I tapered the sides of the table toward the front about 1/3 back to make provide more room to make it easier to slide into the seats when in the dinette mode. Therefore, there is no support on the front of the table and it tips down when sat on. The L brackets prevent that from happening.

Btw, for those who looked at the table and noticed that it is not level, you are correct. Actually the table is level, the camper was not when I installed it. I placed a spirit level on the table to make it level, but forgot to check to see if the camper was level also. Of course it was not, so the table slanted when the camper was level. Not to worry, I have since leveled the table.

Keep up the good work and photos coming. Will be interested in seeing any other improvements you discover.

Jim
Old 11-06-2015, 07:29 PM   #72

Oklahoma
Registry
Jim, thank you very much for the quick reply....and for the nice comments!

I hadn't planned on using the plastic split conduct when I started replacing the wiring, but, as the numbers of wires grew, I decided I didn't want the rat nest of wiring that had been there when I got the trailer!

This afternoon I ordered the 30" table support that you used, and a folding table leg. I have a large quantity of 1" solid wide pine boards (over 20 years old) that I may glue into a table size plank, and make my table out of it. But, only because I don't have any 3/4 plywood that is usable for a table.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all of your help,

Bill
Old 11-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #73

Oklahoma
Registry
Me again!

Jim, I received the 30" table slide, and the folding table leg yesterday, and have two questions.

You had stated you had reversed the instillation of the two pieces of the table slide because it made attaching the table to the H-bracket easier.

Did you attach the outer (larger) part of the slide to the table or H-bracket?

When I test fitted the table leg, it appeared quite high. Did you cut some off the bottom of the leg, and if so, how much?

You didn't know that you were taking me to raise , did you?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Bill
Old 11-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #74

Colorado
Registry
Bill,
No problem with questions, like to see your project work out well also.
Bill,

I put the larger, outer piece on the end of the table, and the smaller inner piece on the H woodwork. That way when you want to set up the table, you can rest the larger ridge on the smaller ridge and then just lower the front of the table.

If you install the smaller inner part on the table, you then have to insert it then lift up on the table to get to to catch and then lower the front of the table. It is kind of awkward.

I did cut some of the leg off. It is now 26 inches from the false floor to the bottom of the table. I think I decided on that height as it is the same as the original dining table in relation to the "dance floor" when it is set up.
Jim
Old 11-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #75

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Jim!

Bill
Old 12-02-2015, 03:20 PM   #76

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
awesome stuff
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #77

Colorado
Registry
Charles,

Thanks for your feedback. It's nice to see that others like the results of the modifications and hopefully will be willing to try some or all of them themselves. I am looking forward to seeing how others may make their own improvements to the plans.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #78

Oklahoma
Registry
Hi Mr. Scamper Jim,

Another question.....In one of your photos the aluminum dinette table small mounting attachment (that attaches to the wood "H" frame) appears to extend an inch or two past the sides of the "H" frame.

Based upon your actual experience using the table, do you think it would be OK NOT to extend the attachment past the edges of the "H" frame?

Bill
Old 12-07-2015, 12:32 PM   #79

Colorado
Registry
Hi Bill,

I am on and off the grid here in western Oklahoma very slowly making my way to Sedona, AZ for the Christmas in Sedona FG meet.

The rail extends beyond the H frame as that is the width of the table, however, they don't have to be that long. They can be only as long as the H frame is wide with no difficulty. In fact, I may just trim mine shorter to be flush with the frame.

Jim
Old 12-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #80

Oklahoma
Registry
Thanks Jim!

Hope you are enjoying the nice Oklahoma sunshine that we are having today!

Bill