Installing a PD4135 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: Vic
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Installing a PD4135

Does anyone know a place that can install a PD4135 converter in the Toronto area? Toronto Camping Centre in Vaughn is one. Any others? I was going to do it myself but after wasting a few days struggling to figure it out, I figure it would be wiser to let a pro do it. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out but I'm afraid I'll miss something important.
Vic Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #2

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
install PD 4000 series

Vic I installed the same PD inverter in my 13' Bigfoot.
There should be only three wires coming out of your old inverter; 120 volt, a 12 volt line from a buss bar and a 12 volt line going to the battery, or back to the buss bar.
I read the instructions over and over and over. I called the service center; I guess from reading other posts the instructions are confusing. My trailer is wired originally to accommodate the inverter they used at the time. My old inverter fried my battery when it went junk. My trailer has a main 12 volt line with several branches ( splices), coming from a main buss bar, going to the inverter. A branch to fridge, heater, lights, and stove top fan.
I didn't try to separate these from the main 12 volt line. The bundle of wires coming out the back of the inverter can be used to wire many separate fused items. I used only a few of them. ( water pump, light outlet, there is a continuous hot line coming out of the bundle , I ran a line to USB port outlets )
I put a ground buss bar on the floor of the trailer near the inverter, I ran a wire from the ground buss bar to the ground bar in the bottom of the inverter. The inverter, is in the compartment used as the driver side dinette table seat, on the sink side. I took the old inverter out, cut the opening larger to fit the new one in. I had to put new wood backers in to screw the new inverter in.
You need to buy 3 new 30 amp, 120 volt breakers at a hardware store. I am only using 2 of these. I ran a heavier gauge wire directly to the battery from the inverter. 6 gauge. The inverter You have is too powerful for the existing wiring to the battery, the existing wire will overheat.
Keep looking at where the wires are connected in the illustrations
I don't know if there is a youtube install.
I can answer a question.
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:06 PM   #3

Utah
Look at " PD 4135 tatekenny "on youtube. he does a complete install. I haven't watched it.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:01 PM   #4

Ontario
Kenny: Thanks for responding. There a few basic things I'm not clear on. You have a battery in your trailer- correct? Just one? Does your car charge the trailer battery while you're towing the trailer? Do you need to run a wire from the car positive terminal to the 7 pin connector on the car? Then on the trailer 7 pin I guess you'd need a wire from the corresponding pin going to the trailer battery- correct? Or is the car 7 pin connector already set up with the wire coming from the car battery (to charge the trailer battery). Am I making sense?
Old 11-09-2020, 03:00 PM   #5

Utah
Vic
Is the Toe 7 pin, factory installed ? I had a Toyota tundra that had a factory 4 pin. I had to run a hot wire back to a 7 pin connector that I upgraded. My current 2006 Toyota 4runner is prewired with a seven pin. A 7 pin if set up correctly; original, or post purchase, will charge the battery in the trailer, if trailer is set up correctly. It should be wired to go from the toe to the inverter, and then to the battery. A common buss bar could be used where the hot lead from the 7 pin is distributed to several receiver points one of them could be to a battery, and from the common buss bar to the inverter. The original inverter in my "lil" Bigfoot did not charge the battery if it was receiving power connected to 120 volt. It would convert 120 volt ac to 12 volt dc to run fridge, lights, heater, nothing to the battery, storing the trailer I had to put a trickle charge on the battery. If I was at a campground with 120 available I would run a trickle charge on the battery, or hook up the 7 pin to the toe, and run the toe if no 120 available.
With the new pd inverter, my trailer is parked in the garage plugged into the wall outlet, charging the battery on as needed, it will not over charge. Make a diagram of how the wires are going into and out of your existing inverter.
Later Kenny
Old 11-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #6

Ontario
Thanks Kenny

I gave up but thank you for responding. I brought the trailer to Toronto Camping and they're going to install it. I've spent too much of my time on it.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #7

Utah
Peace be with ya.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:48 AM   #8

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
I found this helpful: https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/...r-installation
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:50 AM   #9

Name: Courtney
Trailer: 1982 13ft Scamp purchased on May 2nd
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Strong View Post
Look at " PD 4135 tatekenny "on youtube. he does a complete install. I haven't watched it.

Not having luck finding this. Do you have the link?
courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #10

Utah
Courtney I don't have an answer. I think it is a little senile dementia. I must have started to type in a link and put in my name. I tried to go to the site and like yourself got nothing. I went to your suggested link I like it.

Later Kenny