Installing extra batter in Casita SD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2024, 10:52 AM   #1

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Casita SD 16
Maine
Installing extra batter in Casita SD

Hello,

I own a 2006 Casita SD 16' in which I would like to install another AGM battery. If you know Casitas, you will understand my problem finding a place to put this battery.

I am considering attaching it in a battery box to the front of the frame. The problem is the length of cable between the two batteries. I read that the shorter the distance the better so this length may be too long.

I have considered other methods like placing beneath the bed/dinette but it is a second choice. I would appreciate other views of this problem.

Also, I installed a Parallax Power Supply 081-7155-000 Replacement Power in the camper that is rated at 55W. Is this considered a safe wattage for the Casita?

Thanks for any light you can shed on these questions
macbethdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 11:43 AM   #2

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Not meaning to derail your thread but have you considered replacing your AGM with Li? You'd get close to double the usable Ah in the same space w/o having to locate and wire a second battery.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:06 PM   #3

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Casita SD 16
Maine
Thanks, that's an interesting idea but with two fairly new agm batteries and a new non-compatible Li converter, it would be costly in time and money.
macbethdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 05:25 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
If you are going to install another 12 volt battery alongside the existing 12 volt battery, or two new 12 volt batteries, they will be wired in parallel. Just connect the plus wire to one bat and the minus wire to the other bat. This compensates for the extra cables and makes the batteries charge equally. An extra 2-3 feet of wire is not going to make any difference. A little bit more wire is less of a problem than finding a whole new place for them or possibly running much longer wires to a some new location. Also, lead acid bats should always have ventilation, so the tongue mount has some advantage. However, installing one lithium battery, instead of the existing lead acid, can give you nearly twice the usable power. And lithiums only weigh about 2/3 what a lead acid weighs. There are a couple of downsides to lithiums, so do a little research before deciding to switch.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:38 AM   #5

Name: Bjarki
Trailer: Currently Looking
Ontario
Casita extra battery

My question is if this is for emergency backup or if you regularly think you will use up the juice of 2 batteries?

If it is more of a "just in case" situation, then my solution is to just keep a fully charged extra battery on hand. I keep mine under the bunk and it is slightly smaller and lighter. Do you have a battery sliding tray? That makes it easier to swap in those few instances. I also have a loose Lithium Ion power box from Energizer that I love.

If not and you wish to increase your battery bank then yes running long wires can be an issue depending on the load. That all being said you need to know what the standards are. Even then I suggest some caveats:

1. The power controller will be charging 2 batteries, and so it needs to be sized accordingly. You will need to contact a battery power supplier for that information.

2. all your batteries need to match. So if you go to AGM then both batteries should be AGM. Also I know from experience that if the charging on the AGM is not very controlled (the charging voltage spectrum is narrow), then you can ruin the AGM very easily. I plugged in a voltage meter in a 12V plug to monitor charging voltage. Dont quote me but I think it needs to be less than 14.4V and mine runs at 13.7 when charging. Also undercharging or overdrawing an AGM is apparently a problem.

3. Situation 2 does not apply if you just swap out the battery. So in fact I can use my energizer to power up the whole cabin if need be. Actually that might be my next plan Why did I not think of that before!

Good luck.
bjarki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:52 AM   #6

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarki View Post
My question is if this is for emergency backup or if you regularly think you will use up the juice of 2 batteries?

If it is more of a "just in case" situation, then my solution is to just keep a fully charged extra battery on hand. I keep mine under the bunk and it is slightly smaller and lighter. Do you have a battery sliding tray? That makes it easier to swap in those few instances. I also have a loose Lithium Ion power box from Energizer that I love.

If not and you wish to increase your battery bank then yes running long wires can be an issue depending on the load. That all being said you need to know what the standards are. Even then I suggest some caveats:

1. The power controller will be charging 2 batteries, and so it needs to be sized accordingly. You will need to contact a battery power supplier for that information.

2. all your batteries need to match. So if you go to AGM then both batteries should be AGM. Also I know from experience that if the charging on the AGM is not very controlled (the charging voltage spectrum is narrow), then you can ruin the AGM very easily. I plugged in a voltage meter in a 12V plug to monitor charging voltage. Dont quote me but I think it needs to be less than 14.4V and mine runs at 13.7 when charging. Also undercharging or overdrawing an AGM is apparently a problem.

3. Situation 2 does not apply if you just swap out the battery. So in fact I can use my energizer to power up the whole cabin if need be. Actually that might be my next plan Why did I not think of that before!

Good luck.
Is this a Li battery you keep under the bunk? Which model Casita do you have?
Old 04-12-2024, 10:31 AM   #7

Ontario
Lithium Ion

Yes I keep a Lithium Ion charge bank from Energizer. The beauty is that I can use it for other things and if you plug it in as a battery then it has up to 120Watts of power.

The Casita is a 2023 Dl and the layout is the Independence
Old 04-12-2024, 10:34 AM   #8

Ontario
Lithium Ion

Yes I keep a Lithium Ion charge bank from Energizer. The beauty is that I can use it for other things and if you plug it in as a battery then it has up to 500 watts of power.

Look for Energizer Arc 3 or Arc5

Old 04-12-2024, 01:14 PM   #9

Ontario
Lithium Ion

Yes I keep a Lithium Ion charge bank from Energizer. The beauty is that I can use it for other things and if you plug it in as a battery then it has up to 500 watts of power.

Tags
casita