installing fantastic fan cover on my Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
installing fantastic fan cover on my Casita

Well it looked easy on the video...then I ran into rivets instead of screws and a 1/2 in of silicone all around the vent, so can I drill out the rivets,cut away the silicone and replace with screws and silicone the heck out of it? Ok wife says I should have had Casita install it...HELP!!
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
Well it looked easy on the video...then I ran into rivets instead of screws and a 1/2 in of silicone all around the vent, so can I drill out the rivets,cut away the silicone and replace with screws and silicone the heck out of it? Ok wife says I should have had Casita install it...HELP!!
LOL I had the same unsavory discovery when I put the vent cover on my Scamp. Yes, drill out the rivets (likely only four in the proper location, the rest stay in place).

I used rivets that turned out to be just a bit too long and if you run your hand on the ratfur on the inside roof you can feel them poke just a little. So I would call Casita if I were you, and ask what size to use.

Can't recall if I had to remove any sealant but I did use new sealant under the brackets, in the holes with the rivets, and on top of the brackets.... 5 months and still dry, even with the vent open. Great mod!
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Fan cover

If I remember correctly, the cover attaches to the top edge of the fan not to the Casita. When I installed a cover on my Casita's fan I did not disturb the rivets or silicone that was used to mount and seal the fantastic fan. Consider reading the cover mounting directions. I think there is also a utube video on the install.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:17 AM   #4

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
If I remember correctly, the cover attaches to the top edge of the fan not to the Casita. When I installed a cover on my Casita's fan I did not disturb the rivets or silicone that was used to mount and seal the fantastic fan. Consider reading the cover mounting directions. I think there is also a utube video on the install.
You must have the "max-air" which is the one I now wish I would have tried to install...no holes in the skin, thanks though
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
I installed the Camco cover (from WalMart) over my fantastic fan last summer. The instructions called for using tiny bolts & nuts through the upper shroud/frame of the fantastic fan. That would've entailed 'dropping' the fan a few inches in order to get to the shroud frame & secure the nuts on the bolts. I ended up using 1/2" long #8 pan head sheet metal screws through the shroud to hold the brackets that hold the cover. We've towed the Casita almost 1K miles since with no problems, & leave the fantastic vent open all the time for ventilation. The cover has a screen on the inside of the louvers to keep out insects... I was planning to get a Maxxair cover but found the Camco for much less $$. I'm perfectly satisfied with it up to now, & if it 'went bad' tomorrow I'd still think I got a good deal.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita