Insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 12:17 AM   #1

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Insulation

I noticed my cabover area was cold last winter. My headboard fell off recently, and I noticed that there was a band down the middle with no insulation. I pulled off another part of the headboard, then pulled off a few more bits of trim and found a couple of loose pieces of rigid insulation that didn't fit well, a fiberglass batts on top and a wide area where the front clearance lights a relocated was missing insulation also.

I used up one can of Great Stuff spray foam insulation for filling the middle section. It was not enough. picked up a few more cans to try to fill up the other voids.

The rest of the camper seems to be very well insulated but in this one cab over area they failed. At some point in the future I want to take out all the paneling and see what's behind there will and gluing new and thicker rigid panel insulation and fill every gap with spray foam.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406959957.342396.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	74349
The loose panels I found seem useless if air can pass around the edges. I may remove the fiberglass batts an insert rigid foam in its place. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1406960061.276459.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	74350

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Conrad,
This should help with your comfort, you should be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Plus, using less energy to be comfortable! You will enjoy the improvements! Thanks for posting the pictures!
Keep up the good work!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #3

Connecticut
It is rather boring, but of some value. I posted it mostly because this is a reputable 4 season camper and even this needed improvement.

Here is a view after my first cab of great stuff. The bevel in the middle was a 2.5" wide strip with no insulation. I used a full can here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407008835.544909.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	74358

Phase 2 was to fill the top. Just completed. About 6" down behind the wall panel was an empty section with wires for the clearance lights. This volume took a can and a half of Great Stuff. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407008964.088110.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	74359Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407008975.187407.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	74360

Phase 3: I am not impressed with the fiberglass batts on the ceiling. This is a 1' wide by 7.5' long section. I want to try to fit rigid foam panels in there. I can increase the width some too.

Phase 4 will close it up as the beveled portion goes back in. I'll be spraying foam on the back of two pieces of rigid foam and pressing it into position. I may use the fabric covered trim piece (sheathed in plastic) to hold it in place while it sets up. Perhaps I can screw into the panels from the prior phase.

I'll wipe the inside surface of this fiberglass nose piece with acetone and hope in bonds well.

This piece of trim is angled so filling that void entirely will be difficult. My plan is to tape in thin pieces of rigid foam and where practical fill voids with Great Stuff foam by poking holes in the rigid foam with a Philips screw driver and stuffing the nozzle in there.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #4

Connecticut
Phase 2 is dry!

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407268603.289957.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	74516

Cut styrofoam insulation panels for fill, and sprayed Great Stuff behind these at the edges and through holes poked by a Philips screw driver.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407268703.004155.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	74517

Foam is expanding and setting up.

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407268733.172060.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	74518

Next I 'd like to fill the gap between the beveled trim with some of the remaining styrofoam and a bit more Grear Stuff and close it up so I can use the camper tonight

Old 08-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
ceiling panels

Conrad, what are your ceiling panels made from? I'm insulating the walls and ceiling of a Sunrader and I'm looking for ideas on materials. I know foam, I'm a retired insulation/air sealing contractor. Now I need to cover the stuff.
Thanks
Steve
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #6

Connecticut
The panels are thin trips with a textured fabric cover. The ceiling itself is a sandwich about. 1.5-2" thick with a foam core.

If you want to make some , is use 1/8" luan and either stain or paint it. If you want to cover it. Automotive Uphostery spray glue would work well to attach any fabric you like.

In any event, I am glad to have it back together. This all started when the headboard fell off so I may need to reinforce the front panels in a few spots where the screws go in.

I used four cans of Great Stuff and some scrap styrofoam. I feel
A little better about the insulation up there. The nose piece is fiberglass and not that "winter wall" sandwich panel. So the normal Bigfoot quality was lacking there.

At some point I may want to pull it all apart again and make all the insulation thicker, because that part is colder, but that can wait. It is better than it was, and I have more important things to do.

I am very glad to have it back together and all neat and tidy again. Tomorrow a friend is staying in it.

Tonight I'm transferring some movies and TV shows onto my camper's TiVo for future use.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #7

Connecticut
Next project is to install a Cushcraft Yagi directional WiFi antenna and booster, and an Omni-directional WiFi antenna on the roof of the house.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:17 AM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Conrad,
You might want to find someone that has a non-contact infrared thermometer gun that will measure the surface temperature and check the surface temperature in your camper to see if there are any other places in your camper that does not have insulation? Bigfoot may have missed some place else in your camper with no insulation? Now is the time to fill up the holes in your camper! That will get it ready for this winter!
Thanks,

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote