Insulation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Insulation

I don't know if there is thread on insulation already if there is I can't find it.

Has anyone tried a ceramic paint or some other coating on the roof of their FG camper? Nicely taped off and clean line edge of course. I know it would detract from the pretty shine, etc,etc. But helping to stay cool is the goal here. I want my A/c to take me down to 60 degrees.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjanits View Post
I don't know if there is thread on insulation already if there is I can't find it.

Has anyone tried a ceramic paint or some other coating on the roof of their FG camper? Nicely taped off and clean line edge of course. I know it would detract from the pretty shine, etc,etc. But helping to stay cool is the goal here. I want my A/c to take me down to 60 degrees.
I have looked at the statistics on the lab test results versus the claims and was not convinced that it would do all that much in the way of heat control. A white surface is nearly as effective. I don't think it will get you to 60 degrees. It would take lots of BTUs and the right kind of foam to get you that low.

Look at refrigerated delivery vans and trucks and then you will know what to do. Businesses that need the cooling ability have already invented a wheel that works.

Of course one of the big factors is you have windows that gain heat. Cover them on the outside with Reflectix when you are parked, it makes a HUGE difference in temperature. Glass acts like a heat sink that transfers that heat into the cool interior so you need to keep the sun off the glass. Putting the Reflectix on the interior is barely effective at heat control but putting it on the outside is very effective. You can test that for yourself.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #3

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
There is a thread about Evaporative cooling posted today with a reference to a video by a couple at Burning Man that discusses the use of reflectix over windows and other tips you may want to consider to achieve your goal.

Of course camping in 30 degree weather will also accomplish your goal with no effort!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:34 PM   #4

Actually a friend has given me the answer.
A Year-Long U.S. Road Trip for People Who Want 70-Degree Weather Every Day - CityLab
Old 07-25-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
There is a thread about Evaporative cooling posted today with a reference to a video by a couple at Burning Man that discusses the use of reflectix over windows and other tips you may want to consider to achieve your goal.

Of course camping in 30 degree weather will also accomplish your goal with no effort!
Ha! I read that this morning. I think Burning Man is off my list.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Just move to Brookings, Oregon
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post

I slapped some refectix over the back windows yesterday to see and I got a 6 degree drop. Outside or inside didn't seem to make a difference. I am going to figure out a way to make some nice way to install this. PS My wife informs me she mentioned this last summer.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:52 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
PS My wife informs me she mentioned this last summer.
Of course! lol ...

Also, I think the reflectix would be more effective on the outside, reason is the green house effect, any heat energy that does get past the reflectix and penetrates the windows gets trapped inside, just think about your car closed up on a hot day how the heat get trapped inside...

I am even considering making a "reflectix blanket" to deploy over the top of our Boler for the same reason as we can feel the heat radiate through the shell...
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
I am even considering making a "reflectix blanket" to deploy over the top of our Boler for the same reason as we can feel the heat radiate through the shell...
I used Pop-up-gizmos on my pop-up camper and it helped a lot!
You could adopt the same idea. I think they would even make one custom if you want. If you only want to reduce the heat gain, then I don't think that reflectix would have any benefit over a simple and thin reflective cover.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
That sounds like a good idea too Gordon, but I have a roll of reflectix on hand so I will probably fashion one out of that for now, thanks for the tip though!
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Careful Johnny. Your trailer may end up looking like it's wearing a toaster cover!

I'm curious to see what you come up with. I'm betting others will be very envious, truly. Especially those of us that don't have A/C!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote