Insulation help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 197? Beachcomber
Manitoba
Insulation help

I am looking for tips on what to use for insulation for my Beachcomber rebuild. I have access to a large amount of 1" thick fiberglass insulation with a paper/foil backing (free is always good). I will likely use this but am not sure if I should put the foil backing to the inside or outside of the camper. I was considering installing it with the paper/foil facing inside the camper over the framing and then stapling it and putting the paneling over top of it. The other option I am considering is to cut it into pieces to fit between the framing (a bit more work involved but I could then face the foil backing to the outside if that would be better for keeping the heat out).
goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 197? Beachcomber
Manitoba
Is it recommended to put a vapor barrier also?

I have read that some say yes to prevent moisture inside from getting to the insulation. Others say no because if any moisture does get between the vapor barrier and the FG there is no way for it to escape.
goggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If it was me I do exactly what Scamp does. You can call Scamp Trailers to get the insulation material the marine head liner material along with adhesive. If you talk to them I'm pretty sure they would give some advice on how to go about putting it in.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The insulation mater glued without much air protects from condensation, if there was a small amount of condensation between the insulation and shell it's not going to hurt anything since all sealed in and no mildew can get to it.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
insulation

The Foil on foil faced foam is a vapor barrier. The outside shell of a fiberglass trailer is also a vapor barrier. I suggest that you use an insulation type on the interior that is not a vapor barrier. It is a given that air and the moisture it contains will get past your interior finish. If the insulation and the interior finish is permeable, then any moisture that condenses on the exterior shell will at some point be able to dry to the interior and won't be trapped between two vapor barriers. I suggest you insulate with 1\2" extruded polystyrene (blue board).
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote