Insulation under the floor? - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Name: kanga
Trailer: scamp 16
Oregon
Posts: 33
Insulation under the floor?

Anyone ever insulate their Scamp externally under the floor? Say with reflectix between the metal frame up against the plywood external floor facing the ground?
__________________

hiker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Posts: 2,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker22 View Post
Anyone ever insulate their Scamp externally under the floor? Say with reflectix between the metal frame up against the plywood external floor facing the ground?
Reflectix has only a very thin layer of mylar plastic over bubble wrap material and it is coated with microns thick layer of metal. It would never hold up to remaining intact under the trailer due to the debris that comes off the road.

You could potentially install an insulation material under the trailer but it would need to have a very tough outer surface facing down towards the road. I am going to do some testing in that direction with some free EVA material I have on hand that is used as a surface layer over decks on boats and on swim platforms. Pricey stuff but I dumpster dive for the leftover pieces from a marine business.
__________________

k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,488
Registry
As was mentioned, Reflectix is just a glorified mylar plastic bubble wrap, which won't last very long in exposed applications, and it also has a an abysmally poor R-rating, (R-1,) which makes it hardly worth the expense or effort, even if it did hold up.
Another concern of mounting any type of insulation outside, particularly under a trailer, is that if it would absorb or trap water and moisture, then you'll probably do more damage than good to your trailer.

FWIW, I'd just buy some throw rugs or runners to put down on the floor inside, (which also is what I use.)
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Gerry
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300 / 1991 Casita Freedom Deluxe
Maine
Posts: 1,655
I agree with Greg, the moisture traped between the layers would do damage to the floor...Better to insulate the inside of the floor.
We used those rubber, lock together foot fatiuge pads that are now sold everywhere in any color.
We got slate gray and cut it to fit the floor just like a new floor. Even the step up where the bed is was not a problem because the pad just bends into place.
We do take them out periodicly to make sure any moisture and dirt that got under them is taken care of but thats an easy job because they just fit together.
It has made a heck of a differance while winter camping here in Maine
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Posts: 440
I've seen someone use foam insulation panels but not Reflectix. No idea how it holds up though.
__________________
Bob & Deb
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:53 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 25,013
Prior to the hack, we had a thread (with pictures) where someone had glued the blue styrofoam to the bottom of the floor, kinda like putting up a puzzle between the frame members. The owner was a downhill skier and was planning to use the trailer to overnight in the resort parking lot. It worked, but I have no idea how long it lasted. That was 10 years ago!
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
John Linck's Avatar
 
Name: John Michael
Trailer: Scamp 13
Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Prior to the hack, we had a thread (with pictures) where someone had glued the blue styrofoam to the bottom of the floor, kinda like putting up a puzzle between the frame members. The owner was a downhill skier and was planning to use the trailer to overnight in the resort parking lot. It worked, but I have no idea how long it lasted. That was 10 years ago!
I would like to hear how this holds up. Every time I looked under my trailers over the years there seemed very little evidence of rock impacts, etc. And I suspect blue foam would take quite bit of abuse before losing significant R value. It would certainly be easy and cheap to try.

John (with cold feet during Winter camping)
__________________
John Michael Linck - Toymaker
Camping since 1960 - Scamp 13' Oak
Subaru Outback 4 cyl cvt
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,696
Registry
I am planning to install 2" of extruded rigid foam insulation under my Escape 5.0TA. Probably give it a coat of paint too. There will be little wear, as it will only be between the frame, and there is not much for road grit being tossed up in that location.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Posts: 170
would it help to coat under the trailer with a spray-on bedliner like lineX? just a thought...
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:12 AM   #10
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,696
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon_b View Post
would it help to coat under the trailer with a spray-on bedliner like lineX? just a thought...
I had thoughts along that line too, but it sure would be expensive compared to the foam. I even thought about a layer of fibreglass, but would want to do that on the panels before they were installed. For now my line of thinking is to just use a good tough paint.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:25 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Name: Ron
Trailer: In the market
California
Posts: 3
Floor Insulation offered by Escape

Escape offers spray foam insulation for under the trailer as a $600 option on the 19ft Escape.
Ronlehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #12
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am planning to install 2" of extruded rigid foam insulation under my Escape 5.0TA. Probably give it a coat of paint too. There will be little wear, as it will only be between the frame, and there is not much for road grit being tossed up in that location.
2 inches of R-Tech foam board will get you to R7.7; used that in an earlier rig and it held up well. R-Tech 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-7.7 Rigid Foam Insulation-310891 - The Home Depot
__________________
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,696
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
2 inches of R-Tech foam board will get you to R7.7; used that in an earlier rig and it held up well. R-Tech 2 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. R-7.7 Rigid Foam Insulation-310891 - The Home Depot
That brand is not in Home Depot here, but they have similar products, which is what I intend to use.

This one from Lowes has an aluminum layer laminated on both side. Would help a wee bit with toughness.

https://www.lowes.ca/sheet-insulatio..._g1545376.html
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:25 PM   #14
Commercial Member
 
tractors1's Avatar
 
Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That's made of EPS; much more sturdy material than foam. I actually use it to make router templates for making parts. Very fine grain compared to the Home Depot brand.
__________________
Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,987
Registry
I think if I was concerned about cold floors, I would lay down some of blue backpacker's blue foam then a throw rug over that. The other thing to do is get some polar fleece socks and wear those while inside, works for me.
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #16
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,696
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
That's made of EPS; much more sturdy material than foam. I actually use it to make router templates for making parts. Very fine grain compared to the Home Depot brand.
Good to know, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I think if I was concerned about cold floors, I would lay down some of blue backpacker's blue foam then a throw rug over that. The other thing to do is get some polar fleece socks and wear those while inside, works for me.
It is great you found a solution that works for you. The thing is, we don't sleep on the floor. Well, Jasper does.

I wouldn't do it for the warmth underfoot as much as the energy savings and comfort camping in temps below freezing. Though, the 3/8" layer of cork I glued down in our Escape 19 certainly was nice.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Posts: 535
I used a rigid foam on a unit some years ago and caulked everything to keep out the road debris. It worked well as an insulation for winter camping and held up well on pavement but took a beating on the gravel backoads.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:17 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,498
Styrofoam Blue or Pink is better, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am planning to install 2" of extruded rigid foam insulation under my Escape 5.0TA. Probably give it a coat of paint too. There will be little wear, as it will only be between the frame, and there is not much for road grit being tossed up in that location.
:remember to use water base Glue and you can find in home Depot or Lowe s large washers but to install I would drill through the floor and run a Bolt down with the large washer, then locking washer and nut or the plastic nut that does not back off to hold it all in place. Then it will never fall down. I see my buddies when doing tub surrounds use these big washers and screw a new orange board to the studs stops all water penetration might also be a insulation and might work for what your guys are talking about this stuff is about 1/2" to 5/8" thick?
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #19
Moderator
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Posts: 5,696
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:remember to use water base Glue and you can find in home Depot or Lowe s large washers but to install I would drill through the floor and run a Bolt down with the large washer, then locking washer and nut or the plastic nut that does not back off to hold it all in place. Then it will never fall down. I see my buddies when doing tub surrounds use these big washers and screw a new orange board to the studs stops all water penetration might also be a insulation and might work for what your guys are talking about this stuff is about 1/2" to 5/8" thick?
Stude
I will likely not be gluing to the trailer body, but not certain yet. I most definitely am not going to drill through the floor. I plan to use some form of mechanical support with lightweight cross members and such. Not absolutely certain what I will be doing, and won't know until after I take possession of the trailer next month.

That orange board you refer too is Schluter Kerdi Board. We have used it a lot for tiling showers and baths. While it works great as a tile backer, I would not use it for this application as the core foam is nowhere near as tough as EPS foam, and dents easy. The thin waterproof membrane would doesn hold adhesives well, and could be painted.

Schluter®-KERDI-BOARD | KERDI-BOARD Panels | Building Panels | schluter.ca

This does have me thinking though. Another product we use for the same purpose is wedi building board, which uses a denser foam, and instead of a fabric coating like Kerdi, has a thin fiberglass layer on each side. This would certainly be tougher against road particles hitting it. Something to consider.

wedi building board systems – Simply indispensible under tiles waterproof board; bathroom renovation; shower renovation; shower solution – wedi.de



Lots of info and videos out there on both products.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Posts: 1,498
Jiim that Wedi Board looks like it would do the job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I will likely not be gluing to the trailer body, but not certain yet. I most definitely am not going to drill through the floor. I plan to use some form of mechanical support with lightweight cross members and such. Not absolutely certain what I will be doing, and won't know until after I take possession of the trailer next month.

That orange board you refer too is Schluter Kerdi Board. We have used it a lot for tiling showers and baths. While it works great as a tile backer, I would not use it for this application as the core foam is nowhere near as tough as EPS foam, and dents easy. The thin waterproof membrane would doesn hold adhesives well, and could be painted.

Schluter®-KERDI-BOARD | KERDI-BOARD Panels | Building Panels | schluter.ca

This does have me thinking though. Another product we use for the same purpose is wedi building board, which uses a denser foam, and instead of a fabric coating like Kerdi, has a thin fiberglass layer on each side. This would certainly be tougher against road particles hitting it. Something to consider.

wedi building board systems – Simply indispensible under tiles waterproof board; bathroom renovation; shower renovation; shower solution Â*–Â*wedi.de



Lots of info and videos out there on both products.
:another way to install without nails, screws, bolts is a stapler and some kind of strong netting to hold it all in place plus the FG exterior finish should be able to assist with the stapling using a strong glue that way you have 2 ways of holding it up there.
"Truck boxes" does not matter the size only have 4 ways of holding them to the frame, my 1963 Studebaker 3/4 ton was that way they made a offset short piece of metal and this slipped into a pocket on the underside of the box and then was bolted to the frame same as my 1976 Ford 1 ton PU, I used to haul some pretty big loads in either of these truck boxes and never had a problem with them coming off. I was simply amazed when I saw how they were held on.
stude
__________________

stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Under floor insulation? dylanear Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 27 03-01-2016 06:54 PM
Floor insulation jwcolby54 Modifications, Alterations and Updates 20 02-23-2016 08:22 PM
Boler Floor Insulation rubbie Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 7 04-26-2015 05:24 PM
Coroplast/Rigid Foam for Floor Insulation Evan Friesen Modifications, Alterations and Updates 14 05-30-2013 10:52 AM
Burro floor wet under the linoleum: is this a condensation problem? jen b Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 46 01-17-2012 08:30 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
×