interior doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #1

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
interior doors

I am enlarging the door opening to one of the closets. Called Scamp to see if they could mfg. one to the new measurements. They no longer have the oak, only dark cherry. He could not provide any info as to who their supplier was, where they were located...nada. Would any one here have any clues where I could locate the MDF covered with the oak looking front? Thanks.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
A pic would help. But if it is MDF then it probably has a oak veneer over it. Either real wood or plastic covering. I would take one of the doors to a cabinet maker and see what they can do for you. Or if it truly is MDF, could be a good time to get all the doors redone out of real wood.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
I am enlarging the door opening to one of the closets. Called Scamp to see if they could mfg. one to the new measurements. They no longer have the oak, only dark cherry. He could not provide any info as to who their supplier was, where they were located...nada. Would any one here have any clues where I could locate the MDF covered with the oak looking front? Thanks.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Post a wanted ad in the "parts" section. You may find someone changing out their stock MDF doors for custom. Anything oversize could be easily cut down.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Saw your "wanted" post with the size of the door. May be hard to find, because I'm not sure any Scamps have doors that big. Have you already cut the opening? If not, you might consider having two separate doors (upper and lower) rather than one large door. My Scamp (also an '08 13' standard) has a horizontal stiffener across the inside front of the cabinet. You can see the bump if you look inside the cabinet and look down. Knowing that the cabinet is an important structural component, I'd hesitate to cut out the stiffener.

Something like this:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55924.html
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
A pic would help. But if it is MDF then it probably has a oak veneer over it. Either real wood or plastic covering. I would take one of the doors to a cabinet maker and see what they can do for you. Or if it truly is MDF, could be a good time to get all the doors redone out of real wood.

Rick
It is an original door on the scamp I want to replace. It is MDF with an oak veneer. I have the tools and the ability to create one myself if I could locate the material that would match the other cabinet/closet doors. I have priced new ones from cabinet makers and they are outrageous. I would only like to have to make one door and not change everything out. I would enjoy my time/money more camping, than working on the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Closet1.jpg  

Old 08-20-2014, 05:00 PM   #6

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Saw your "wanted" post with the size of the door. May be hard to find, because I'm not sure any Scamps have doors that big. Have you already cut the opening? If not, you might consider having two separate doors (upper and lower) rather than one large door. My Scamp (also an '08 13' standard) has a horizontal stiffener across the inside front of the cabinet. You can see the bump if you look inside the cabinet and look down. Knowing that the cabinet is an important structural component, I'd hesitate to cut out the stiffener.

Something like this:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-55924.html
Not narry a cut has been made yet. One large door would be more practical because there is already a small door above. The one door would cover both openings. The purpose for enlarging the area is to put shelving inside that cavernous space and make it useful. The width is only 12" wide and I need 15" to get the pre made storage unit inside. The area could also be brought up to just about the shelf above and almost to the floor below. I am going to glue stiffeners around the perimeter of the opening for strength and to allow longer screws to hold the door. The Scamp is a nice unit and great for traveling, but the space in that corner is totally useless with such a small opening. BTW, why does everyone think I'm describing the closet over the wheel well?

Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallo View Post
BTW, why does everyone think I'm describing the closet over the wheel well?
Because the standard Scamps have the closet over the wheel well. You have a front bath, so the closet is just to the right as you enter the trailer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:02 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
interior doors

Yup, my bad. I was picturing the big closet to the right of the door (the only closet in the no bath layout). I like your plan for the front closet. Afraid I don't have any ideas about sourcing a door panel that matches the stock cabinets in the size you indicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 AM   #9

Arizona
Registry
Did you happen to see this ad? I wonder if the bathroom door might work for your enlarged closet? And Oregon is not too far from Utah…
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...net-65906.html
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
They sell oak ply up to 3/4" thick at the box stores, just stain to match close. It is not like the doors are all close together, so a little shade diff will not be to noticeable. I plan to change all the doors on my scamp on order. I have thousands of $$$ invested in woodworking tools when LOML wanted a $2.00 spice rack years ago, who new. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Alice if you should do as Carl said and buy 3/4 oak for a new door I would suggest getting enough stain so you can color all the new doors your going to make cuz the new one looks so good . Carl, I understand about the tools and bucks. I've got a couple $200.00 new and unused router bits for a project that got kixed......but I've still got 'em .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:02 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
For Scamp doors I use 1/2 oak plywood and stain it with Min-Wax golden oak stain and I use 3/4 oak for table tops. For the lighter Casita woodwork I use no stain. I coat with several coats of poly. Lately I have been using the water based poly. Dries quicker and less odor. Home Depot has 1/2" 4x8 sheets of oak for around $40 in my area. Lowes only carries 4X4 sheets for about the same price.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #13

Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Did you happen to see this ad? I wonder if the bathroom door might work for your enlarged closet? And Oregon is not too far from Utah…
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...net-65906.html
I did see the add for the doors. Oregon is pretty far from my part of UT. I was up that way this spring and it was a long 2 day trek. It would cost about $300 in gas alone. Shipping would probably be cost prohibitive also. If worse comes to worse, I'll cut a 1/2" plywood door and paint it white. At least it will blend in with the surround.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 AM   #14

Utah
Registry
Eddie/Dave/Carl...thanks for your input on wood & stain. I'll see what I can come up with. Not sure if I want to go for making new doors for the whole kit and kaboddle. If any other, it would be the ones over the sink and stove. Would be better to open one door and see inside all three cubbies at once rather than open one, not find what I want, close, open the next, etc. Seems more practical, just sayin'

Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler 1984
Easier bending the wire shelving than wacking over a 2x4 is to clamp between two pieces of 1x4 and bend the whole thing. Might have to tap the edges with a hammer to make square.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote