Interior ignition for a water heater? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Interior ignition for a water heater?

Seems to me I once heard someone say you could get a kit for like $65 to change a normal propane powered water heater from external ignition to an internally switched ignition. After cruising the web for a while, maybe I heard wrong?

Has anybody done this? The last trailer we had (an '83 Sunline T-1550), came to us with a bad water heater. I swapped it out for new one with an interior switch for ignition, and boy, was that great. On the other hand, I am very glad that trailer is gone and we now have an egg!

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I bought and installed such a kit for my Suburban. Works great, one of my better mods. I'll look to see if I can find a part number somewhere.

I have a thread here on fgrv somewhere with details and photos.

Found...
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tor-21965.html
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #3

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
I bought and installed such a kit for my Suburban. Works great, one of my better mods. I'll look to see if I can find a part number somewhere.

Found...
Wow! Excellent, thanks Steve. Just what I was looking for.

Frank
Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #4

New York
Quote:

Found...
After reviewing this link Steve, it is interesting and maybe all I can do, but what I was hoping to find was a way to turn the pilot on with a switch from inside the trailer. I.e., you don't have to go out at all. I put a Suburban water heater in my last stickie that was like that.

Thanks again!

Frank
Old 10-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
You're showing some distinct motorhome tendencies: show up, back in, quick dash to connect the shore power, don't leave the trailer after that. (I'm just kidding for heaven's sake.)
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #6

New York
Quote:
You're showing some distinct motorhome tendencies: show up, back in, quick dash to connect the shore power, don't leave the trailer after that. (I'm just kidding for heaven's sake.)
Heaven forbid! Argh! No, not a motorhome!

Actually Steve, it was the install of a new water heater in an old stickie that led me to this question. It had an electric ignition switched from inside, like this one: Suburban 6 Gallon Water Heater SW6D - $274.00
Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The reigniter kit is still available: Suburban 520821 Reignitor Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

I would guess that the cost of all the parts needed to convert an existing manual pilot to an electric control system would quickly approach the cost of a new water heater. But, because your existing heater is fairly new, it will have some recovery value from it's next owner.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote