Interior walls of 1975 Trillium? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 12:35 PM   #1

Name: Kimm
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Ontario
Interior walls of 1975 Trillium?

HI! We purchased a 1975 Trillium a few years ago, that was partially gutted, and we are finally getting around to refurbishing it.
The interior walls are down to the fiberglass, and I am totally confused as to what to put on the walls... They were stripped when we purchased it, so I did not see what was on them prior.
I tried to look for a thread here to help me understand what to put on the interior walls, but no luck. I am probably not searching for the right term.
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance,
Kimm
KimmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmD View Post
HI! We purchased a 1975 Trillium a few years ago, that was partially gutted, and we are finally getting around to refurbishing it.
The interior walls are down to the fiberglass, and I am totally confused as to what to put on the walls... They were stripped when we purchased it, so I did not see what was on them prior.
I tried to look for a thread here to help me understand what to put on the interior walls, but no luck. I am probably not searching for the right term.
Can someone help me?
Thanks in advance,
Kimm
Kimm, Originally there would have been a product called Ensolite. This was a black closed cell foam with a white(ish) vinyl outer layer. While the black foam is still available, I have yet to find it with the vinyl layer. What several fibreglass trailer vendors use is Reflectex https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ref...ion/1000167795 covered in a marine head liner, which is just a stretchy waterproof fabric.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #3

Ontario
Thanks David. That makes sense because there was some pieces of the black foam still on the walls that I have removed.
That is exactly what I was going to put on the walls, but I wasn't sure if there was something easier?
Do you know if the Reflectex has an adhesive, or do I install it with rubber cement?
Then would I attach the fabric on the Reflectex with rubber cement as well?
Thank you!
Old 09-14-2022, 04:42 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmD View Post
Thanks David. That makes sense because there was some pieces of the black foam still on the walls that I have removed.
That is exactly what I was going to put on the walls, but I wasn't sure if there was something easier?
Do you know if the Reflectex has an adhesive, or do I install it with rubber cement?
Then would I attach the fabric on the Reflectex with rubber cement as well?
Thank you!
Typically contact cement is used for both the Reflectex and head liner. The glue you use should be rated for a fairly high temperature. It gets hot under the sun.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #5

Ontario
Okay awesome. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 09-23-2022, 10:13 PM   #6

Name: Ray
Trailer: Trillium
Alberta
Glue to use on Fiberglass (FRP)

Use Fiberglass Resin / harder mix as it’s the same as the Fiberglass itself
It hardens like a rock holding whatever you want to the wall.
I always test the items that you may want to attach as the chemical reaction may not suitable.
Hope this helps.
Ray11
Ray11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:31 PM   #7

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
If I was completely restoring the interior of a stripped FG shell, I'd consider using the sort of aircraft/marine headliner Escape uses, possibly on top of a couple layers of thinsulate and/or reflectix. It has a textured off white interior, easy to wipe and clean, and is bonded to a thin layer of firm foam, it can be glued or stretched over a surface. Its way nicer than the 'shag carpet' liner of my old Casita. Its also a lot quieter, and much better insulating as well as completely dark inside during the day
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:35 AM   #8

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray11 View Post
Use Fiberglass Resin / harder mix as it’s the same as the Fiberglass itself
It hardens like a rock holding whatever you want to the wall.
I always test the items that you may want to attach as the chemical reaction may not suitable.
Hope this helps.
Ray11
Okay, thank you!
Old 11-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #9

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
If I was completely restoring the interior of a stripped FG shell, I'd consider using the sort of aircraft/marine headliner Escape uses, possibly on top of a couple layers of thinsulate and/or reflectix. It has a textured off white interior, easy to wipe and clean, and is bonded to a thin layer of firm foam, it can be glued or stretched over a surface. Its way nicer than the 'shag carpet' liner of my old Casita. Its also a lot quieter, and much better insulating as well as completely dark inside during the day
Thanks John, I will definitely check that out!

Tags
trillium