inverter wiring - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
inverter wiring

I know I saw this somewhere, but searching isn't doing it for me. My question is: I am putting an 1000W inverter under the rear seat in my Escape 5.0. Everything looks good except I am not sure what to do about the ground wire. I seem to remember someone wrote to hook it to the battery post, but I can't remember if that is correct. I already have a hole in the floor where the solar controller and the converter grounds go through to the frame. Both appear to be 12 gauge wire. I could enlarge the hole for the 4 gauge inverter ground, but instead of that, could I just splice into the two wires already there, since they are all going to the same connection. And does it have to be 4 gauge? I bought a 3-wire set, but the ground connector on the inverter is the same size as the ones on the converter and controller.
Thank you for help.
Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I wired my ProWatt SW 1000 watt inverter in my 17 directly to the batteries (through a fuse & switch) with #0 wire, the recommended size by Xantrex. The inverter frame ground was a #6 wire run to the trailer frame.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Your ground wire has to be a big as the (+) side wire as they both carry the same current.

By using the frame for a current carrying conductor you are introducing a number of possible bad connections.

Most inverter mfgs. instructions specify to connect the inverter directly to both sides of the battery so as to not introduce any additional resistance or compromise current capacity. Check the instructions that came with the one you are installing.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Registry
I may be confused, but I believe he is asking about the ground wire for the inverter, that is one that runs from the case of the inverter to the vehicle frame. My inverter uses 3 12V wires - the full sized hot & the return, both carrying the full input load, and a frame or case ground that is there as a safety that only carries current during a fault to the case.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #5

Registry
Correct, Jon.
I guess I am trying to avoid making a larger hole in the floor than the one already there. Sounds as if it can't be avoided though. The instructions with my inverter specify 4 gauge up to four feet.
Thanks
Dick
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I may be confused, but I believe he is asking about the ground wire for the inverter, that is one that runs from the case of the inverter to the vehicle frame. My inverter uses 3 12V wires - the full sized hot & the return, both carrying the full input load, and a frame or case ground that is there as a safety that only carries current during a fault to the case.
Dick, I installed a 2000 inverter in my 19' Escape and ran two 3 gauge wires though a cutoff switch to the batteries. I wired the inverter case ground to my GFI outlet on the load side...safe and effective..no need to go through the trailer for that.

Notice that the cutoff switch is on the right (marine switch) then the outlet is on the left. Next to the outlet I wired an on/off switch into the inverter so I could turn it off at that location. Good luck!

Steve
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #7

Name: grant
Trailer: 13' burro, 13' casita, 20' nomad f/w
Texas
Have you carefully calculated the power consumption, A1000 watt inverter will supply power for (1) one hour at a rate of 1000w consumption, using a 12v 200amp hr battery, The calculation is 1000w divided by 12v dc consumption is 83.33 amps.
I would definetly connect both cables to the battery, the case ground could go to the frame, or battery ground, as long as the battery ground is also connected to the trailer frame.
gcssr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #8

Registry
The reason for the inverter chassis ground is to open the fused hot supply wire fuse if there is a fault in the inverter to the chassis. In the case of a 1000 watt inverter, Xantrex's recommended fuse size is 150 amps. It is important that your chassis ground wire & connections are large enough to trip your breaker or open your fuse.

For more information I've posted a copy of the Xantrex's Prosine SW Inverter manual at the Escape Forum's Document Center
Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #9

Registry
Thanks, All

Steve: Where did you find that color outlet? I like that.

Dick
Old 01-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Joanne View Post
Thanks, All

Steve: Where did you find that color outlet? I like that.

Dick
Home Depot...they have several colors.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #11

Registry
Thank you.