Is a modern lock on a Burro possible? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #1

Name: Monique
Trailer: Burro
FL
Is a modern lock on a Burro possible?

Hi all. We are excited to have begun the renovation of our 1980 new to us Burro. I am wondering if anyone has experience with the lock? Updating it to be exact. What are my best options here? I want something new / safe / efficient. All guidance appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2477.jpg  
Mo L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:02 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Is that a Bargman L400? I am not sure. If it is, they had a unique shape. So you either buy a NOS or lightly used one on eBay, not cheap, or you butcher the door to fit a modern lock. Me I bought a NOS one on eBay.

All of this ass-u-mes that is a L400. If not please disregard. L400 has not been made for decades. And it was used on many RVs so the demand is high. L400s are regularly for sale on eBay. Sometimes prices are way over the top. But with patience, sometimes they are on there at more somewhat reasonable pricing. If you see one with a good price, pounce!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:16 AM   #3

Name: Monique
Trailer: Burro
FL
I believe it is an L400. Thanks for the advice!
Mo L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:36 AM   #4

Name: Larry
Trailer: Trillium
Arizona
Hello.

Yes, it is a Bargman L400... very hard to find...
I had to pay $125 for a new one 10 years ago.
Now they are $400 or better?

Your lock appears to have been modified by a previous owner.

Here is an an adapter that uses a modern lock which might work on you trailer?

https://www.campingtreasures.com/pro...ck-kit-chrome/

Uncle Larry
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:59 AM   #5

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Adapter is not cheap. And then you need to buy a modern lock.

It means cutting a big hole in the door.

It means losing the recessed area around your lock, more cutting and some fiberglass patching. At that point the area is thicker so the adapter may not work.

I like the look of your door with the recessed area, you would lose it..

The conversion plate looks like a... conversion plate. It’s great someone is doing it.

Once you start cutting there is no going back.

Right now an L400 NOS for $400 is about what I call the somewhat reasonable deal. I bought one this year for $300. I would call that a really good deal. Brand new in original box with keys. I’ve seen NOS ones as high as $800 asking. That is silly high. I’ve seen good used ones in good working order are more like $250. An adapter and modern lock is close to the price of a good used one (I have seen used ones at the price of just the adapter).

None for sale right now. 3 sold in the last month.

Given the recent huge jump in value for these trailers, I think this isn’t outrageous.

Save a search on eBay and you will get notified when one comes for sale. If it’s buy it now in your price range, DON’T wait! I sell on eBay regularly. I routinely get messages like this:” hey what happened to your listing. I was watching it and wanted to buy it”. My answer “it sold”. People tend to wait hoping an even better deal comes along. Meanwhile the good deal sells.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #6

Name: Mark Bradley
Trailer: 1976 Boler B-1300 1980 Bigfoot B-17
Manitoba
From the picture the Bargman lock is recessed into the fiberglass. I installed a lock kit from Camping Treasures on my Boler and the cover plate is 8" x 5". So the recessed area on the Burro has to be that large or it is a no go.
Mark Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro