Is An Awning an Important Feature? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2020, 10:24 AM   #41

Name: CJW
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
prefer a portable

we have had many attached awnings through the years - this is what we use now for the ease of set-up. The Gazelle comes in different sizes - we have the 4 person.

https://www.amazon.com/Gazelle-21500.../dp/B00VVM72ES
conniej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #42

Name: David
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
California
We use our awning quite often. Afternoons for reading or napping outside along the coast. We watch the wind if it gets too windy we retract the awning nights. Hard on it plus the noise can keep you awake.
CasitaMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #43

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
I am sooo glad you posed this question! Thank you!

We will be adding a custom FG fifth wheel to our family at some point, and had pondered this. For the teardrop we use a Coleman 13' square pop-up that effectively shelters the TD from forward of the door, down one side, to a nice porch out back.

I think for the fiver we are going to install boltrope track above the curve and make a battened roof modular awning/bughouse that totally detaches from the trailer and stores in a long bag. Build it so the awning and attachment points can handle real wind.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #44

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Every time I camp unless there are high winds.
Shade on sunny days.
Dry area at entry on rainy days.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:12 PM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
YES!

We use our awning at most camp sites. Mostly for shade and having a dry patio area.

Our mountain camp sites often have unpredictable and/or strong winds. So, we take several preventative measures.

A. We generally only deploy our awning to 2/3's of its width, less when we are going to be away from the trailer.

B. I carry two old "Milk Crates" and can generally find rocks to fill them to create dead weights. With some pre-cut lines, we secure the ends of the awning to the milk crates sitting on the ground.

C. I use our Anderson Hitch Receiver as a third dead weight for the middle of the leading edge of the awning.

D. When I feel the need for additional wind precautions, I move the three dead weights a bit towards the trailer, and crank in the awning to about the 1/3 point. With three heavy dead weights and only a portion of the awning "out there", we have been successful in moderately high winds.

Of course, for more serious conditions, we stow the awning.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #46

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
We always camp with a table and chairs outside our camper and the awning keeps them dry weather from rain or dew. Plus at night we put our bicycles underneath the awning to avoid the do getting all over them. We always use our awning and I couldn't imagine not having it
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #47

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
We have the manual awning on our 25B25RQ and always use it unless it’s too windy. As many have pointed out shade, rain and dew protection, nice place to cook, sit and visit. Wouldn’t have an electric one, ours takes minutes to deploy. Even in windy situations you can roll it part way in, change the angle up, down, or end to end to spill the wind. Very versatile.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:37 PM   #48

Name: GabeB
Trailer: 1980 Trillium 1300
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transposure View Post
I vote yes, it’s important. I just installed mine...

What brand is this awning? I like it. I would yes on the need for an awning. I have camped where the there’s little shade trees, so I was definitely happy to have the original awning on my Trillium 1300.
GabeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:41 PM   #49

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Curious as to whether or not owners have an awning? Yes, I know, most come standard. Is it an important feature to you? How often would you estimate you use it? Do any of you have a power awning on your Bigfoot?
Thanks
I use my awning a lot because I am a textile artist and I like to work outside. The awning keeps the birdshit off my work. And off me too : )
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #50

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
So true, but I have been awakened at 2 in the morning to run outside and put the awning in because of the wind. But there's nothing like see you in our chairs in an afternoon shower watching it drip off the awning. Plus we usually put a hot plate and a rotisserie oven toaster broiler on our table outside the trailer and the awning keeps it dry
nefldiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #51

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Ontario
Yes to awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
YES!

An awning is important.
It is not like being outside, its more like in between full shelter and full exposure.
When we travel, the awning gives me a sanctuary outside the trailer but not fully outside.
It like a porch, and a porch is a pleasant place to be.
Love to sit under the awning and read a novel while still able to greet the neighbors and enjoy the scenery.
What Floyd said. Plus, keeps the picnic table and lawn chairs dry too. We camp mostly in the fall in Ontario, so it often rains. An attached one (as opposed to a free standing shelter) keeps the rain from running down the wall and into the door. Our awning is home made and 10'x20' which basically triples our living space.
Scamper Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:51 PM   #52

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
By the number of responses you've gotten, it's obviously a matter of opinion, but I will put in our 2 cents anyways.

Our Scamp didn't have an awning and we always wanted one. We usually don't move more than once every 2 or 3 nights and with the sun in the desert, an awning would have been lovely more than once.

In transit to us, the awning on our Bigfoot 5er got ripped off by the wind (use velcro strips around the arms when not deployed to prevent this, by the way). We have not fixed/replaced it. We still really wish we had one.

We have a 10x10 shade thing that we hoped would be a good substitute but it's not. Our Bigfoot is taller than normal so the shade structure can't be put over the door. I'm a little surprised to say that it's not just the sun that an awning helps with but especially in rainy weather, it would be SO nice to have a bit of cover right outside the door. Of course, you have to be mindful of wind but we're trying to figure out how best to repair/replace our awning for the coming years.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #53

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
No Awning

If you camp in NFS campgrounds, you’ll rarely want to sit next to the trailer. An EasyUp type pop up is the way to go. 10x10. Covers the picnic table for shelter and cooking outside. No real worries about wind and if it does get blown away they are only $100 or so to replace. Had ours for 15 years and still serviceable. Takes some technique and teamwork to put up. Never force it!
charlesrussellbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #54

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita 17' LD
Florida
Nope

We've owned our Casita 9 or 10 years and travelled all over the country with it. Lessee, I'd say we deployed the awning maybe 3 or 4 times. And replaced the plastic end caps twice, 4 at 40 bucks each. Is it worth it? Not to me, it isn't
Frank R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:50 PM   #55

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Have had a couple trailers over the years...have had awnings. Rarely used. Our Casita does not have one....I am glad.....would not want one. If we are going to a campsite for several days....we have a clam shelter....easy to put up. Most of the time we don't even take the clam....I like being outdoors.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:10 PM   #56

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
We liked the Fiamma awning on our Casita. You could adjust how far it was extended and also the tilt.

We set the awning at about three feet on rainy nights in the northwest; it serves as a nice porch for midnight bathroom runs.

Occasionally, your space may be oriented so you can use the awning to shade the refrigerator vents on a Casita; Yay. (The refrigerator on our Escape is on the opposite side of the trailer from the awning.)

In general, we prefer to sit at some distance from the trailer, rather than sitting within reach of it. We even have a separate canopy we sometimes carry.

The automatic awning on our Escape is a P.O.S. Don't even get me started; the legitimate complaints on the Escape forum are legion. The manual awning was not an option for a narrow window of time when we ordered our trailer. Fooey. I curse in its general di-rec-tion.

Casita Greg's system sounds intriguing by comparison. Lightweight, functional, renewable, and economical.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:43 AM   #57

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Curious what brand and style of automatic awning Escape used? Our Roadtrek has a Carefree electric awning. The manual legs are very fussy, and I ended up having to call Carefree just to figure out how to work them (the manual was no help). Door clearance is a problem, so I can’t have the awning as low as I’d prefer for better shade. I would not replace it with the same if it became unusable, but for now we’ve reached an uneasy truce. I can at least say Carefree has good customer service.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #58

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
DOGS! Even if we didn't like having the awning the dogs need shade. It's their shade we just use it. The Scamp 13 is very, very cozy inside, having the outside space to sit and read. Prepare food and cook. Groom those dogs I mentioned. All give us good reason to have an awning.

For a long time we used an easy up style canopy. With a 10x10 straight leg one we could set it up and then walk it over the side of the camper. Legs cleared front and back. This kept any rain from falling into the camper due to the curved wall/door. Floor sticks out further than roof. The metal shield prevents run down not falling rain.

I ended up putting a canopy c channel for a rope canopy on the camper using 3M VHB tape. I have a 5x7 tarp and a 9x7 and a 12x10 I use the size appropriate to the weather. One edge anchors to the track, the front uses poles.

With the 12x10 the 10 foot side goes on camper. At 12 foot long the two corners project a couple of feet past end of camper and have poles. Covers a lot of ground. Easy to angle to dump wind as long as the wind isn't too bad. Have to make sure it is positioned to drain so it won't collect water, sag, collect more water and come crashing down.

The two 7 foot sizes of tarp the 7 foot side is same length as track. 7x9 is my "usual" size. It gives good coverage coming out 9 foot but is just run into track and put out 3 poles and ropes. Easy to angle steep as needed to shed wind and rain.

The 5x7 is more of a storm or high wind tarp. Only projects out 5 foot. Not much space but not much surface to catch wind and yank. Once in Cody Wyoming I had to get up in the night and drop the poles, pull the guy ropes down like a lean-to but there was a 40 mph wind coming off the mountains. Next morning slip poles back in and adjust guy ropes. Back in business. And it was enough to keep snow off most of the picnic table during the night.

I'm pretty sure the smaller cheap poly tarps will rip out the grommets before the VHB tape and track give out. They cost a few bucks, I even have spare 5x7 so... If a storm destroys the tarp oh well. Crunch all you want I have more.

I sit outside most of the time, like the awning so will set it up if in one place for more than a night (or two) Poles and lines use space so there is that as a downside to balance against having the awning set up. Might not on the shores of Lake Michigan where the wind is pretty consistent and the site has shade. Won't set up when staying overnight when traveling. Most times it does get set up.

I'm a tent camper, that big white egg is just a hard sided tent. I have always had a rain fly available. Have a couple of nice nylon tarps, have the cheap Harbor Freight tarps, even have smaller canvass tarp (used for fire wood these days, used to be ground sheet to sleep on)

This brings up the other advantage of the tarp and track awning. I have TARPS! Nothing says I have to set up at the camper. I can run a line between two trees (using towel or rag to protect tree from rope) Tie one corner to a tree and use some poles, etc. Sometimes the best spot for the covered area isn't right next to the camper. Sometimes blocking the wind with a lean-to and being in the sun is the difference between comfortable and too chilly.

Easy Up style were either not strong enough or if strong enough were a giant 80# bag sitting on the couch or in the back of the vehicle. Been there, done that, didn't enjoy it enough to do again. When the heavy steel leg Coleman canopy got flattened by a wind sheer in the night it was the last time I was going to spend $$$ on something that didn't hold up to the elements. I am however looking at the smaller Clam style screen shelters. The 4 person size looks.... interesting shall we say.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #59

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I put some awning track along the side of my trailer. Then I created used some awning fabric and sewed a header onto it that slides into the track. Put some grommets along the front edge to put poles through. Some guy ropes and stakes. It is easy to set up and easy to store and cost very little for the materials.

No extra drag in the wind when going down the road. Minimal weight as there is no metal housing.

For my poles, as they are very strong but can be made short for storage, I use the adjustable length painters poles. We have a 3D printer so I used a free CAD file from a 3D printing source to make nuts with an eye loop on top to secure the poles into the grommets I put into the awning fabric and give a place to tied the guy ropes into. The 3D plans for making a mounting to attach a Go Pro Camera onto a painters pole will work for this as they have a bolt hole area through the top of that screw on fitting.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #60

Name: joan
Trailer: in the market
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeB View Post
What brand is this awning? I like it. I would yes on the need for an awning. I have camped where the there’s little shade trees, so I was definitely happy to have the original awning on my Trillium 1300.
www.shadyboy.com
starling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning