Is An Awning an Important Feature? - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Name: JJ
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25RQ
Idaho
Is An Awning an Important Feature?

Curious as to whether or not owners have an awning? Yes, I know, most come standard. Is it an important feature to you? How often would you estimate you use it? Do any of you have a power awning on your Bigfoot?
Thanks

JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I really don't use mine on our 16' Scamp when we are traveling.
If we happen to stay in one place for a while we are more likely to use it.
Ours is a crank out like on the new Scamps and it takes a little setup etc.
The unit is a little fragile and we don't leave it out if it is a windy day.
We have had it for our two big trips of 9500 miles through the mid west and Yellowstone etc and 8000 miles south from Florida to Big Sur, the Grand Canyon etc.
We rarely put it out on those two trips.

redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I rarely use mine, however I carry a bag chair that has a built in awning.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Curious as to whether or not owners have an awning? Yes, I know, most come standard. Is it an important feature to you? How often would you estimate you use it? Do any of you have a power awning on your Bigfoot?
Thanks
I guess you might say I'm an anti-awning person. We've spent almost a month in Death Valley every year for the past 10 years during that time we've seen awnings get blown away. I think the worst case happened a few years ago in Big Bend, TX. I used to at times put up a Paha Que shade, free standing. After one of the poles broke during a wind storm I haven't used it sense.

Also it's been my observation that if an awning is deployed people tend to huddle under the awning where I have tendency to follow the shade or sun depending on the air temp.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:43 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
We have a power awning on our trailer
We like it
We use it
Would not buy a trailer without it.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #6

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
We use our manual awning all the time, tilted to shed rain, or reefed to half open if windy.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:29 PM   #7

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I bought my Scamp new. I ordered it without awning. But I never stay at the same place for more than 1 night. My class B has awning, but I never used it.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:56 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I owned my Scamp for several year without an awning. I spent the money and added it. The same as the crank-out awning on Casitas. Takes but a minute or two to setup. No regrets! Yes, it cost me about $1,000 for the awning and custom-made brackets, plus I had to mount it myself. Best money I spent for ME. I needed the awning for shade. Very seldom deploy it in the rain (usually when it rains the wind blows). But often camp where there are few trees in my site and shade is really nice. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:33 PM   #9

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We use our awning about 75 % of the time. The other 25 % we are parked in shade. Manual awning, wouldn’t be without it.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #10

Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
Registry
Our boler doesnt have an awning but we use an Easy up all the time.
Our 5th wheel has a bag awning, never used it but we use the Easy Up
with it too. Im ginger,,, well white haired now so burn instantly sitting in the sun.
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 PM   #11

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Awning keeps area in front of the door from becoming a mud pit.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #12

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
YES!

An awning is important.
It is not like being outside, its more like in between full shelter and full exposure.
When we travel, the awning gives me a sanctuary outside the trailer but not fully outside.
It like a porch, and a porch is a pleasant place to be.
Love to sit under the awning and read a novel while still able to greet the neighbors and enjoy the scenery.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:22 PM   #13

Name: K
Trailer: UHaul
New Jersey
I vote yes, itís important. I just installed mine...

K Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:24 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Is An Awning an Important Feature?

I agree an awning is very nice to have. There are lots of different kinds, attached and freestanding, screened and open, small and large, inexpensive and pricey. The best one for you depends on your camping style and climate. There is not one best for all.

An inexpensive First-Up canopy has served our needs well as an outside kitchen & dining area. Itís pretty sturdy in the wind, and if it were to get damaged, easily replaced. We usually stay 3-5 days at a time in one place, and we can set it up anywhere in our site to take advantage of natural shade, views, or privacy.

I can envision a different style of travel in the future in which an attached awning would be a more convenient option. Ken, funny you posted that picture while I was typing. The Shady Boy is the one I keep thinking about for its greater wind resistance.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:25 AM   #15
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have deployed the awning on my 2015 (bought new) trailer (Same for my patio mat, though that has seen a bit more use). Clam shelter has seen more use because it keeps both sun and bugs at bay. And an artificial turf doormat has kept the area just in front of the door from becoming a mud hole. But it REALLY depends on your RVing plans/style. We do not tend to stay in one place for long periods, and we don’t usually stop in remote locations where the ground would likely get muddy. I also have the “added advantage” of having a 5th wheel trailer. On many occasions I have moved my camp chair underneath the loft in sunny or inclement weather to read or to enjoy the rain. And as a previous poster has said, in deference to George Harrison, I’ll follow the shade. We only “camp” and not venture out a lot when we attend a rally; most of the time we are involved in local exploration and local attractions. As such, the trailer is more or less a rolling bedroom and a morning and evening dining room. And I would add, a personal space when we visit the grandchildren and I find I need some peace and quiet. So in summary, “is an awning necessary” is a question each individual person must answer. In my case, it is nice to have but not essential.
CPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:23 AM   #16

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Thanks
They are not standard on many trailers: Scamp, Casita, Escape, etc.

Its a very personal thing. I have awnings on both of my trailers. Power awnings have had plenty of BAD reviews out there. Realize Bigfoot does not make awnings. They buy them from the same suppliers other use.

On my Escape, I use the manual awning about 75% of the time, if I am set up for more than one night. On my Trillium, the awning is really old fashioned, set up is a PITA and its small. I've thought about removing it.
Old 03-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #17

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I really think that it depends on how you use your trailer. If you use it as we do as a mobile motel room while traveling then it doesn't get much use. however it is nice to have it when you stay for a while in one place.
The fragility of the typical awning on the Scamps etc. means that you shouldn't leave it out if you are not there.
If you are using the trailer as a vacation room while you are in one place for a while then you can crank it out and in leaving the supports in place.
In my case I added the brackets to the bottom of the trailer so that the ends of the legs were more secure than just set out on the ground so the wind is not as great of a hazard.
It is probably worth having the awning for those times.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Yes, we have one and use it quite a bit.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #19

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
We usually put ours up, and sometimes the screen house that attaches to it. The screen house keeps out most of the bugs.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Bigfoot at Algonac 2.jpg   Bigfoot at KY rally 2018.jpg  

Old 03-20-2020, 08:50 AM   #20

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quickly reading this, I would say it is about 60:40 in favor of awning.

The previous owner's awning was gone with the wind, and we do not miss it one bit. When planning a trip in the buggy part of the country, we bring a screen tent and often pitch it over the CG picnic bench.

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning