Is the kitchen cabinet support needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #1

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
Is the kitchen cabinet support needed?

We are doing some modifications to our 13' Scamp. We'd like to clean up the look a bit. We've noticed some folks have removed the metal spiral support that connects the upper and lower kitchen cabinets, while others have kept them on.

We would like to remove it for a cleaner look. Before we commit to that direction, can anyone share if this is truly a needed support item or if it is aesthetic?

Has anyone that removed it had any issues???

Thank you!

Dan and Sandy
Newfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfang View Post
We are doing some modifications to our 13' Scamp. We'd like to clean up the look a bit. We've noticed some folks have removed the metal spiral support that connects the upper and lower kitchen cabinets, while others have kept them on.

We would like to remove it for a cleaner look. Before we commit to that direction, can anyone share if this is truly a needed support item or if it is aesthetic?

Has anyone that removed it had any issues???

Thank you!

Dan and Sandy
It would be prudent to retain the supports, but you could replace them with something more attractive or just one stronger one on each end of the cabinet.
Here is a picture of one idea, whether it is more attractive is subjective, but it is at least as strong.These are made from some small rectangular steel tubing which was commandeered from an old patio awning. they are attached to my handmade cabinets, since the originals were missing when I bought the trailer. Without the cabinets and supports the trailer was a pillar of jello....
Attached Thumbnails
May 2009 001.jpg   May 2009 017.jpg  

May 2009 022.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1984
Our Boler has never had the kitchen cupboards and there hasn't been a problem. But If, on the other hand they are already in place then I would leave them there. Some owners have experienced roof failure because of lack of support in those areas.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Our Boler has never had the kitchen cupboards and there hasn't been a problem. But If, on the other hand they are already in place then I would leave them there. Some owners have experienced roof failure because of lack of support in those areas.
Did you intend to say "kitchen cupboard supports", or did your trailer really not have the cupboards themselves?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfang View Post
. We'd like to clean up the look a bit. We've noticed some folks have removed the metal spiral support that connects the upper and lower kitchen cabinets, while others have kept them on.

We would like to remove it for a cleaner look. y
I've got that on my to-do list. My thought was that I'd replace the 50's look spiral iron with a stainless steel tube. Maybe incorporate a paper towel rack into it also. Not top of the to-do list but wrought iron is so yesterday.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Over the years we've seen the supports replaced with everything from a chrome tube to polished driftwood to plexiglass to stained glass to tiki torches to turned table legs ... Use it as an opportunity to personalize your trailer and make it uniquely your own.

I've never read anyone who had regrets with leaving/changing the supports, but have read regrets from those that removed it entirely. It's your trailer. You make your decisions, you take your chances.

If you change to something else, please posts pics!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,,,for this question,,,and all other back yard mechanics like me,,, then always have a few bolts left over.......

my brother worked for chrysler experimental for 40 years,,,, so he sort of knows what he is talking about when it comes to stuff they put on things.

i had finished a repair on my truck just as he arrived at my house.
he looked at the leftover bits and parts i had neatly arrainged to dispose of.
and he said, "find out where these go and put them back on......these companies are too cheap to put a single bolt,screw,or washer where it isn't needed."
now i am buying a new scamp, and they sure seem like nice folks at the factory,,,, but my guess is,,, they would not spend money putting that rather unattractive bit of iron in there,,,if it wasn't their experiance that it was vital.
that being said,,,, you could replace it with say,,,, a dorinthian marble pillar?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Sandy
Scamp trailer frames do not have metal supports which extend from the frame rail to the outer edge of the floor. So on the sides the shell is only supported by the plywood floor which overhangs the frame rail by about 12". The closet by the door and the cabinets and spiral supports on the other side transfer the load of the shell directly to the frame. Without these supports you have increased flexing and greater possibility of rivet and leak issues in the long run.
The orig. spriral metal provides support but also gives some flexability. I like Floyd's and Ron's suggestion of using tubes. With tube supports you can drill out the end of your mounting plates and run wires from your lower to upper cabinets through the tubes if needed.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

Florida
Great advice guys. I suspected it was there for a reason.

We are keeping a somewhat retro look to the Scamp, so we'll likely stay with the original support.

Thanks!

Sandy
Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 1984
Thanks Floyd. You're right a correction is needed. My two fingered thoughts got ahead of the flying fingers. Yes, our Boler has the upper cabinets. No, it has never had cupboard suppoert.
Search out a topic by Roy in TO about his problems with a sagging roof.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Cupboard Supports

We have a set of overhead cupboards on each side of our Scamp, only one set has a support. I have considered replacing the spiral set, whose appearance doesn't bother me, with a piece of counter to cupboard wood. I've done this in my son's trailer and wood looks really nice.

More significantly for me a flat wooden surface allows the mounting of little storage boxes for those many small items, like pen, glasses,....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have a set of overhead cupboards on each side of our Scamp, only one set has a support. I have considered replacing the spiral set, whose appearance doesn't bother me, with a piece of counter to cupboard wood. I've done this in my son's trailer and wood looks really nice.

More significantly for me a flat wooden surface allows the mounting of little storage boxes for those many small items, like pen, glasses,....
My Scamp 13 doesn't have the supports, but it is both a deluxe with full perimeter cabinetry and has a bulkhead wall on the fore side of the kitchen for the bathroom.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have a set of overhead cupboards on each side of our Scamp, only one set has a support.
Thats a bit strange Norm, mine has two supports on both sides of the trailer ..... wonder why the difference.....
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #14

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carol, It's interesting because I've seen them both ways. I will probably add a wooden one to each cabinet/cupboard, another opportunity to add a little organization by mounting things on the wooden support, maybe even turn it into a thin cabinet.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #15

Name: Matt and Lindsey
Trailer: 1972 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Okay...another question...our trailer doesn't have one (1972 Boler). & it wasn't removed by a PO, because there are zero screw holes in the area( & on our trailer there are old screw hole EVERYwhere....

We do have a ?support between the sink & stove, but it doesn't actually connect or support because it doesn't quite touch. We have no upper cabinets over the bed or bunks. I have been wondering if maybe the support wasn't used if there were no overhead cabinets? I have also been planning to put in a support as we are going to add overhead cabinets just for safety sake. But I am curious. anyone run into the same thing?
bomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #16

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thats a bit strange Norm, mine has two supports on both sides of the trailer ..... wonder why the difference.....
i wonder if its an air conditioning difference? does one have it and one not? could air conditioner support be the difference?
Old 03-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #17

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomni View Post
Okay...another question...our trailer doesn't have one (1972 Boler). & it wasn't removed by a PO, because there are zero screw holes in the area( & on our trailer there are old screw hole EVERYwhere....

We do have a ?support between the sink & stove, but it doesn't actually connect or support because it doesn't quite touch. We have no upper cabinets over the bed or bunks. I have been wondering if maybe the support wasn't used if there were no overhead cabinets? I have also been planning to put in a support as we are going to add overhead cabinets just for safety sake. But I am curious. anyone run into the same thing?
lol i had a motor home like that once,,,screw holes all over the thing. i never figured out if he was attaching things,,,or had just gone berserk with a screw gun.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #18

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
In our '84 Scamp, the support was black. I removed it and painted it glossy off white to match the surrounding fiberglass. I reinstalled it with capped screws (have caps just like the rivets on the outside). It actually made a huge difference, because it no longer draws your eyes to it. Now it blends in and looks much more modern.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #19

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
The supports prevent the sides from puffing out and the roof sagging down, so they are structural. I cannibalized four garden "Tiki Torches" from Lowes, cut them up, added some 1/2" steel strips (also from Lowes) and did my very first welding project with them to make my replacement supports. Add a little paint (and, perhaps, some LED candles for mood lighting) and this is what I got:
Attached Thumbnails
09Apr27RoofSupportWithLEDCandles480x640.JPG   Roof Support (2).JPG  

Roof Support (1).JPG  
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #20

Florida
Oh nice! I like the design! I've definitely decided to put the support back in (I took it out when we started doing mods so it hasn't gone anywhere). Just undecided on an "alternate" design.