it is a dry heat - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #1

Name: Erik
Trailer: love bug
Delaware
it is a dry heat

I found these the other day. They are 12v diesel heaters for truck cabs and other things . No humidity from propane and No fumes as they vent outside, also attached is an austrailian man's long winded ,but excellent videos that explains over the course of a handful of videos the operation, temps,decibels(low), and troubleshooting. I can see using the larger one for back up heat in a power outage.
Looking to see if anyone has used one. I am going to try it.

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Heat...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Happybuy-Cont...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qIbYt6H1ZFSFks
relics-ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Dry Diesel Heater

Impressive!
I have not used nor ever seen one.
The man is winded so I did not go through to see how he would install it into a travel trailer.
Please post your results and how you installed it.
Thank you for sharing!
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16
Livermore, CA
For whatever reason (probably in response to #vanlife), China has recently flooded the market with these cheap diesel heaters. The ones with the built-in tank are relatively new. I've heard they work fine, but keep in mind you might have little to no luck with customer service and replacement parts. However they're cheap enough to just buy another! Modifications might also be necessary if you use them consistently at altitude to get the air/fuel ratio right. I think there's a facebook group for them, but I'm not on there to confirm.

Don't forget that you can find propane heaters that work the same way (Propex), i.e. vented combustion and dry heat.
bonewrenched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Nothing stinks more or for longer than spilled diesel fuel.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:44 PM   #5

Delaware
The man is winded , for sure. But his presentation of information as far as depth of knowledge is fantastic. He has a video about The ones with the built-in tank, he was not impressed,nor was I .

The repair parts are on ebay and amazon and cheap. Like $30 for the pc board AND lcd control board with free shipping.
I am waiting on mine, got a note it shipped this afternoon. If my 12v/120v fridge is any sign, the shipping is going to be real slooooow.

I have not been on it yet, (facebook or the site) but it is spoken of highly, as well as other sites and videos.

"Nothing stinks more or for longer than spilled diesel fuel." Agreed, I heat with oil and drove a diesel truck, I know it well. caution is the secret word of the day.
Last comment, is I see this has potential as a back up to keep the house from freezing in a power outage, as I have solar and 250 gallons of oil.
And yes, I do have generators and spare gas, but....
Old 09-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #6

Delaware
Just as an aside, I had not heard of these until last week. I have no skin in the game. I just knew the condensation issue with propane. We enjoy winter camping and I was looking for something without that problem The possibility of putting a skirt on the camper and heating some air underneath as well as the cabin is stuck in my head. If I can skirt the camper I might try running it under the truck and just send a vent to heat the cabin, to keep it quieter.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:02 PM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by relics-ink View Post
I just knew the condensation issue with propane. We enjoy winter camping and I was looking for something without that problem

What condensation are you talking about? Propane furnaces are vented to the outside the same as those oil furnaces. Your breathing is going to give off more water vapour than the propane furnace.
Sunrisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:57 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nothing stinks more or for longer than spilled diesel fuel.
Ain’t that the truth. Don’t get it on leather work gloves either. I do not like fueling my Highlander at a combination gas and diesel pump because almost invariably someone has spilled diesel on the concrete and even though it’s no longer “wet” it can get on your shoes and then it’s in your car and on your mats.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
We rented a camper van in Iceland a few years back (ford transit connect van) it had an espar diesel heater plumbed into the vehicles diesel tank. It worked very well, but espar heaters are $1000+ and being plumbed into the cars tank meant nothing else to fill up other than the car at the gas station. I wouldn't want to mess with it in a scamp when propane is a much easier solution.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote