Jeroen's Overland Expedition Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #1

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Jeroen's Overland Expedition Scamp

I've posted some pics and updates before, but i'd really like to keep it all in a central place. Maybe this can be a resource for anyone wanting to restore/rebuild a Scamp. For that reason there will be some pictures in this post that I previously posted.

I bought my Scamp early July from a forum member in Virginia. The axle was done, so I'm glad I was able to get it home to NC without issues. The gel coat was pretty much gone. The rear floor needed replacement, the front floor was replaced by the previous owner.

I cut out the floor with a DEWALT DWE315K Multi Material Corded Oscillating Tool. After that I glued pieces of cardboard to a piece of plywood to make a template. I glued in the 3/4" plywood floor using West Marine 206 hardener, 105 epoxy and 406 filler. (Buy the 1 gallon epoxy instead of the quart. A quart is enough to do the floor, but a gallon is twice the price and four times the amount. I ended up using it for a lot more than just the floor. ) I then made a new top rim with epoxy resin and fiberglass mat. To do that, your first need to sand the wall down to bare fiberglass. Clean with acetone, sand again, clean again. Use 60 or 80 grit. then simply mix your epoxy, get a cheap brush and paint a coat where you want your fiberglass. Push the fiberglass cloth in it, and soak it in more resin. Wear gloves.
Attached Thumbnails
pickup1.jpg   floor2.jpg  

floor4.jpg   floor5.jpg  

floor6.jpg  
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:14 PM   #2

North Carolina
Next it was time for the outside. I removed the windows. For the front and back I will use plexiglass sheet and rubber locking gasket. For the side windows I wanted modern radius windows. I ordered those windows off eBay. 2 x 24x22 for 100 dollars total. The old windows were 24x18, with square corners. I made the wall opening bigger toward the bottom, and used some of the fiberglass that I cut out to cut rounded squares to fill in the top corners. Those corners were then held in place with ducttape from the outside, and fiberglassed in from the inside. After this dried I added Bondo fiberglass filler from the outside, sanded it down, and added regular Bondo filler. I again sanded it down until it was very smooth.

I removed the kitchen, lights, overhead cabinets and filled in all rivet holes with epoxy + filler. I sanded it all smooth later. Less holes is less chance of leaks. I also removed the trim around the bottom.

Next I cleaned the whole trailer with water + ammonia, and then rinsed with water. I used Rustoleum marine primer to prime the whole thing. 2 quarts will just barely cover it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171014_113922.jpg   IMG_20171015_121355.jpg  

IMG_20171015_124342.jpg   IMG_20171015_153735.jpg  

Old 10-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #3

North Carolina
In the last pictures you saw that there was some gray around the windows. That was a leftover from trying out spray paint to just spray the camper. I tried a few square feet and it looked bad, so I went with rolling paint instead.

And I almost forgot the heater. I removed the old gas heater and will go with a mobile AC/heater in the closet when we are hooked up to shore power. A Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater with 1 qt gas canister will keep us warm when boon-docking. Plus we're in the South so you hardly ever need heat anyway. I also removed the water hookups. Time to fill that 6x6 hole that the heater left in my wall.

I cut out a piece of leftover fiberglass to fill it in. I then covered it in epoxy + mat from the outside. If I had to do it again I'd cover it from the inside. To get it smooth is first sanded, added Bondo, and sanded again.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp_heater1.jpg   scamp_heater2.jpg  

scamp_heater3.jpg   scmp_heater4.jpg  

Old 10-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
more amazing

you guys are just too much how was the air in the camper while doing all this. did you use big fans or what?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #5

North Carolina
The table is supposed to be attached to hardware screwed into a piece of plywood glassed to the rear wall. That plywood ended up being completely gone. I replaced it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171015_113328.jpg   IMG_20171015_113323.jpg  

Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #6

Missouri
what are you

jereon are you an auto body guy?

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #7

North Carolina
My goals are to build a camper with a toilet, that sleeps 3. I've attached a not-to-scale plan. The toilet room will be 2x3. We'll use a Camco 41541 Portable Toilet - 5.3 gallon. I don't want to have anything go through the wall, because those are all potential leaks. I fiberglassed pieces of plywood to the wall instead as mounting points for the walls of the toilet room. I first glued them to the wall with a hot glue gun to hold them in place. I then covered with fiberglass mat and epoxy (see, you want the gallon of West Marine, not the quart. Fiberglass is a never ending story...).
Attached Thumbnails
scampplan.png   IMG_20171014_141733.jpg  

IMG_20171015_113333.jpg  
Old 10-15-2017, 03:49 PM   #8

Missouri
jereon how does your mr buddy work? I have a wave 3 I use on propane in the 20s?

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

North Carolina
I used a fan sometimes, but for the most part it wasn't that bad. I also used a mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
you guys are just too much how was the air in the camper while doing all this. did you use big fans or what?

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 03:51 PM   #10

North Carolina
No, a software developer

Quote:
jereon are you an auto body guy?

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #11

North Carolina
I haven't tried it yet. It's still hot down here. 83F today.

Quote:
jereon how does your mr buddy work? I have a wave 3 I use on propane in the 20s?

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #12

Missouri
i will say it again

jereon I will say this one more time!

you are amazin!!

bob
Old 10-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #13

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Looking good Jeroen. Way to make it your own. Love the floor plan. Staring and dreaming is half the fun of these projects. Having tented for decades, dragging in a private commode is the one luxury that really makes a difference!
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:18 PM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Very niice work from one renovator to another. Can't wait to see the finished product. I like to think outside the box and I added a complete wetbath (shower and porta potty) with propane tankless water heater to our 13' and still managed to slept 3 (once it even slept 5), we also added a/c, refrigerator, toaster oven and lots of custom built wood cabinets. Our 1971 Boler mods thread might give you some ideas.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #15

Missouri
work

when do you guys sleep? I say this not to poke fun at you just wonderin!!

bob
Old 10-17-2017, 06:20 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
Quote:
when do you guys sleep? I say this not to poke fun at you just wonderin!!

bob
The nieces were in a tent back in the spring and lightning struck very close in the middle of the night along with a pouring rain so we made them get in the camper as their tent was under a tree. The two nieces along with our son slept in the double bed, my wife slept in the single bunk and I slept on a pallet in the floor with my legs underneath the double bed. I had designed a removable folding platform for the lower floor that is even with the upper dinette floor to accommodate that extra sleeping room. Had I not put in the custom cabinets overhead I would have an upper bunk above and could have slept 1 more.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #17

Missouri
great

you guys are the living end! I love it!

bob
Old 10-22-2017, 01:14 PM   #18

North Carolina
Paint

Finally I got the paint done. It's not perfect, and there are some imperfections that I probably will sand down and fix up, but it's not bad.

1 coat of Rust-Oleum Marine Primer and 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Marine Gloss Battleship Gray Topside Paint.

I tried roll and tip'ing, but it looked streaky on the first coat. Wrong brush or wrong technique, I don't know. I'm not a painter. I then just rolled the second coat on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171022_140823.jpg  
Old 10-22-2017, 06:55 PM   #19

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Looks great!
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny M View Post
. Our 1971 Boler mods thread might give you some ideas.
Direct link: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ods-68675.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp